Foal Gestation Length?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Devon

Reaction score
Hey Guys!

So I am super anxious about fashions 2011 foal .. and was wondering what the average gestation is for YOUR minis not just general gestation length because I know thats a huge span. Her last foal she had been pasture bred , she was in foal when I bought her so no clue how long.. I have a bunch of shows right when she is due and I am stressing out .. Unfortunatly she did not catch the month I intended her too! I appreciate your information!! This was her in march so excited..

pregnantgirl.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine seem to be all over the map (sorry, I know not what you wanted to hear!)

The first foal of this year was born at 315 days. That same mare has had differing gestation lengths though, so even the same mare may not be consistent. I've had mares go before 300 days and go as long as 365 days. My advice is to check your mare at least twice daily, bag and vulva, and doing milk test strips when she gets milk has been very helpful for me too. Watch for all the signs combined, and hopefully you will be prepared. Good luck!

I would say ours average 335 days. But I dont even want to talk about this year as every single one has gone way past their due dates.

I have two that went at day 325 and one at day 310.

I've had foals born from 291 to 352 days gestation, BUT I suspect the 352 may be incorrect. I didn't personally do the breeding. That would leave my longest ones in the 340s. It seems more common here for the mares to foal in the 3teens and 320s.

Right now I'm watching a mare in for foal out that is at 336 but looks to still have a couple of weeks to go. I understand this is common timing for her.

Best wishes with Fashion's foaling!

Charlotte

Honestly, I really don't think there is an average! Mine seem to carry from really short (310 or less) to really long (over 340). So far this year, mine are going shorter than in previous years.

First mare foaled at 338 days. She normally carries 340+.

Second mare foaled at 322 days. She frequently carries to 340.

Third mare foaled yesterday at 332 and her previous two foals were 338 and 341.

I am currently watching a mare who is at 308 today and she looks to foal within the next few days. Last year she carried to 338.

So, every year can be different and they are going to do what they are going to do! Good luck with your mare!

The range of my fully baked bouncing babies is 292 to 328.

MOST of my foals are 302-315.

Latest posts

Back