Foal coats

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

happy appy

Reaction score
I was just wondering what size of a foal coat I should have on hand just in case my mare foals early while it's still cold.
default_biggrin.png

I take my husbands old sweat shirts cut the sleeves off. If it is a colt I cut a V shape where he would pee.

It looks cute and works well as I keep plenty on hand and can wash them easy.

We still have some sweatshirts we've "cut to fit" that I keep to help soak up and dry off a newborn. Another thing to get is a dog coat or sweater from the pet store. Look for a size that would fit a Cocker Spaniel.

I still have a few days and still need to get my foal blankets done. I am making a 22" and a 24". Any opinions on if these 2 sizes will fit my new borns? I did buy some thinsolate to use inside my foal blankets so they will be toasty warm. It doesn't even add a full thickness to a double thick blanket.

I have a variety of polar fleece foal blankets. I can tell you that most people make them too big. Especially the belly band. Neck area too. It does pay to have multiple sizes on hand as the foals birth heights can vary quite a bit.

There is no substitute for having fleece baby blankets on hand IMO. A variety of sizes. Untill it's middle of summer I go through 3-6 fleece blankets on each new born. Getting that baby dry and warm is critical to his survival. After towel drying and rubbing for stimulation I'll put one fleece one on. 15 to 30 minutes later it comes off as it's damp by then so I put on a dry one. Change that one out too then usually put on 2..one over the other. once the blankets have quit getting damp I will keep a layer of 2 or more on baby untill the temperature in the barn is quite warm. ( I think Becky has been using 4 on little Keeper if I heard her right)

As far as the size of them. I find many of them are made too wide from top to bottom. I've had to cut them down. If they come down too far in the front baby gets his legs caught in the front of them especially when trying to get up from lying down. I have them sized from about 12" long to something around 24" long (front to back)

Also be careful that you put your belly band where it won't rub the baby's umbilical stump or get in the way of little boy parts.

I just
default_wub.png
the babies!

Charlotte

Hello,

I bought the foal pj's two years ago and I love them ! www.playfoalpjs.com

These pj's do not come off of the foal, they can be comfortable in them whether they are playing or sleeping. The cutouts are in the correct place for fillies and colts.

I bought 3 different sizes to fit various sizes of foals. They are running a special on buying 3 right now for a discounted price...see their website.

I highly recommend these to anyone looking for something to stay on the foal. I am so glad we no longer have to fight with foal blankets that turn sideways or will not stay on the foal. Foal PJ's solved that problem.

Steph

I make the polar fleece foal blankets myself, but i have found some polar flees dog blankets, lg and xl, that I luv. I also have the 600 denier dog coat for my little ones, I am in ohio, try not to breed early, but snow still flies in April here.

We make different size polar fleece foal blankets and the most popular sizes are 20" and 22". jennifer

Latest posts

Back