Foal Blanket

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mightymiracles

Reaction score
I am looking for a pattern for a mini foal blanket. I have nice felt and a baby coming soon and thought I would make it a blanket but not sure what size and how to go about making the shoulder slope. Do most of you prefer buckle in front for babies or just a solid that slides over? Anyone made on on thier own and has suggestions that would be great.

Thanks

chari

I've made my own--had a foal born into -35 weather and found that the blankets and liners (fleece) that I had on hand just weren't warm enough. So, while I had the baby in the house warming her up the first night I got busy & cut up an old wool hudson bay blanket--made 3 foal blankets out of it, each one a little larger than the one before it. Instead of a pattern I just used the foal as a guide--cut out the basic blanket, put it on her, cut it a little more...and ended up with a perfect fit. I sewed it up by hand real quick & she had a nice warm blanket on the spot. So, I'm not help as to pattern....

I do prefer the closed front blankets for the foals, and I put a wide belly band on, with velcro to fasten it in place--I used fleece for the belly band. Since I was using the wool fabric & it was quite soft & so drapes nicely, I cut the back of the blankets very generously, rather than shaped it like a typical horse blanket--these foal blankets are cut longer so they come back over the tail & kind of drape over/around the hindquarters--no problem for the foal to lift its tail to poop, yet the blanket drapes down around the hindquarters for extra warmth. These blankets just seem to wrap right around the foal--they're warm & snug & offer no way for baby to get its legs stuck in the front of the blanket or in the belly band (a big concern with some of the blankets I've seen on the market!)

Just in case this would help you, I have bought foal blankets from Cyndia and I love them. They fit great and stay on perfect, and are very reasonably priced -- www.sixzeroeight.com/pondlakestables
default_yes.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I made my own foal blankets a few years ago and they worked well as long as the foal kept it on!

That was my main problem, the little stinkers would get the blankets off or I was contantly repositioning the blankets because the foals would get them turned sideways, etc.

Last year I purchased the Playfoal Pajamas and love them! The foals cannot get them off. You could use the pj's for a liner under a blanket if it is extremely cold.

I highly recommend the pj's...best thing since sliced bread!

Hope this helps.

Steph

Latest posts

Back