Mini Foal

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wanted to take some time to thank you all for your help. Your loving, positive support in this really meant the world to me. We, unfortunately, had to put Onyx down on Thursday. This is what we believe. We rescued six WILD ponies about a month ago that were left to breed freely for the past eight years on a pasture since their owner passed. So we suspect some major inbreeding. When Onyx was born, her mother rejected her because she knew there was something wrong with her and had left her to die basically. I intervened with this and tried to save her, but that's why Mom wouldn't let her near her and became violent when we tried. She looked healthy except for a pretty bad underbite which would have made it tough for her to suck and eat. According to the vet, when she was born, she should have been standing within an hour and running at four. It took Onyx four hours to stand and never did run around. Unfortunately, she was just not right from the start. But she sure got a lot of love in her short little life.

I'm so sorry she didn't make it but if she had severe problems it's better that she didn't. The vets say they should stand within an hour but from my limited experience with the little ones they are up closer to 20 min and running either right after they get a good drink or as soon as they get up from their first nap so closer to 1 - 1 1/2 hours. She knew kindness and love in her short life and that's all anyone can ask for.

To keep that little foal alive that long took a lot of love on your part. It will take more of the same to get the others ready and placed in (good) homes. Good luck and we are ready to kelp as much as possible.

Latest posts

Back