Fjord colored minis?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love any horse better with a dorsal stripe, and I have several dun factored miniature horses in my herd. Here are my solid color (non pinto) duns. Maybe some of these are the colors you have in mind...

Goldie%20--%2007012006%20--%20034.jpg

DUNIT%20--%2006232006%20138.jpg

sundance-june2003-1.jpg

FIREFLY%20--%2006262005%20--%202.jpg

and one with no dun factor, but silver buckskin with a frosted mane and tail...

Flirt%20--%2009092006%20--%20129.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
My mare has a fjord-cross as a mother. ;)

She is grulla pinto herself her mother was the typical bay-dun color of a fjord, though fjords seem to generally be lighter than other bay-duns.

This is June, she is a grulla, it´s it called gra in the fjords here, dun on a black base.

junegalop.jpg

Which is basically how it came to be called "grey" Dun!!

Fjords- most of them, also have Cream which is why the colours come out slightly differently.

The closest I've seen was my stallion (now sold to CAM), Incredible.

He had the white frosting on either side of his mane, from forelock to withers, and even at his tailhead.

he had some shading over his shoulder area and a stripe down his back at times of the year.

But no leg barring.

Anyway, though I LOVED his naturally thin, long mane, I thought how cool it would look to roach it like a Fjord!

His son, Kyan, though a silver, has some of the same thing going on.

Some buckskins do have the white frosting that emulates the Fjord coloration, but wow I used to have the most amazing Grulla mare and her filly here (by my/CAM's stallion) and they had all the dun goodies...such a sweet mare that was. If you are really interested contact me and I could see if she might be willing to part w/her (this mare is solid gold attitude I've never met one like her).

Liz M.
default_thumbup.gif
:
default_thumbup.gif
: [SIZE=10pt] JILL ......... WOW WEEE !!! [/SIZE]
default_thumbup.gif
:
default_thumbup.gif
:

Your horses are just gorgeous!! Boy, there has to be a cross in your barn that'd produce a mini-Fjord for Shari!
default_wub.png
:

Will you place Dunpainted on your "Foal Announcement" e-mail list?
default_please.gif
:

Thanks for sharing.....made my first cup of coffee an enjoyable one!

Cindy

Hi Shari!
default_smile.png

We have a couple of HillTop's Little Vegas (Jean B's Stallion) Zebra Dun get that have alot of coloring in the mane and tail, heavy dorsals, and tons of Zebra Stripes. I don't know if they are really *Fjord* looking, but they sure are pretty ponies!!
default_wub.png
:

]

Jean's Stallion, Vegas is still a Stunning Stud and is over 20 years old, he throws Gorgeous Babies that look and act just like him, I would get several more of his babies if I could!
default_wub.png
:

Nancy

Oh,,,very pretty!!!
default_yes.gif
: Very close in coloring that is for sure.

The closest I've seen was my stallion (now sold to CAM), Incredible.

He had the white frosting on either side of his mane, from forelock to withers, and even at his tailhead.

he had some shading over his shoulder area and a stripe down his back at times of the year.

But no leg barring.

Anyway, though I LOVED his naturally thin, long mane, I thought how cool it would look to roach it like a Fjord!

His son, Kyan, though a silver, has some of the same thing going on.

Some buckskins do have the white frosting that emulates the Fjord coloration, but wow I used to have the most amazing Grulla mare and her filly here (by my/CAM's stallion) and they had all the dun goodies...such a sweet mare that was. If you are really interested contact me and I could see if she might be willing to part w/her (this mare is solid gold attitude I've never met one like her).

Liz M.
Wow! She sounds so nice I would be affraid to ask what her price is? :new_shocked:

I personally doubt fjords have cream, in that case 25% of all foals should be a double dilute, and they´re not.

Fjords do, undoubtedly have cream and Yes there are DD's too- did you not follow the thread on the Equine Color Forum??

The DDs are not eligible for registration- I thought I had said all that??

Anyway it is not in dispute- there definitely is Cream and that does account for a lot of the strange colours- there is also widespread Pangaré, which also accounts for some of the "strange " colours.

I love any horse better with a dorsal stripe, and I have several dun factored miniature horses in my herd. Here are my solid color (non pinto) duns. Maybe some of these are the colors you have in mind...

Roach this one's mane, and it (which one is this?) would look very much like a mini version of my FILs Fjords (just a whole lot leaner). My MIL calls the color "white", as that's what the breeder told them. [i'll see if I can get her to send me a picture of their team.]

Yes, Fjords come in cremello but they are not registerable (due to potential health problems... as is common in some registries before they are educated... :eek: )

Cremello fjords are called "Kvit" and are rare as not all Fjords carry the creme gene.

Andrea

I did a Google search and found this picture of a kvit (cremello) Fjord foal:

FG%20LUNA.jpg

And heck, while I'm at it (editing this post) here is the link to the site:

Norwegian Fjord Registry colors

I have only seen one or two pics of double dilute fjord foals so it is not all cream, if so again 25% of all foals should be double dilute, fjord are very populair here and I have not seen a DD reported born here yet.

So few might have cream but definatly not alot!

Since this is totally off topic I suggest you go and look up the thread on Equine Color.

It was started by someone who breeds the animals in the land of their birth and was very informative.

Maybe the ones you know do not have cream.

You have to remember that percentatges are not reliable- you could have ten foals that were not DD and say the mare has no Cream, yet, were she to have ten more, the next ten might all be Cream.

That is the way it works.

50% of my foals should be Silver but, out of ten foals I have three with Silver- 50% is a possibility just as 25% is a possibility- not a given.

Roach this one's mane, and it (which one is this?) would look very much like a mini version of my FILs Fjords (just a whole lot leaner). My MIL calls the color "white", as that's what the breeder told them. [i'll see if I can get her to send me a picture of their team.]
That's my stallion, Erica's Gone and DunIT -- I don't think I'll be roaching his mane :bgrin :bgrin :bgrin

But Dun It is true Grey isn't he , Jill??

There is no Grey in Fjords- just the colour they call Gra- which is our Black Dun

DunIT is a grey grullo mini who may currently resemble some Fjord coloring to some people's eyes. To me, he looks like a line back grey and a million bucks
default_wink.png
:

I was asked to post pictures of my Fjord color looking minis and wasn't sure what some would consider fitting that bill -- so I posted all my dun factored non-pinto horses.

I beg the differ! My friend in CO breeds Fjords on the side, Her stallion is reg as a Silver dun! Here is a little info:

http://bluebirdlane.com/colour.html The grey is also a silver color. But as it says the Grey Dun SHOULD be called a "black dun" BUT on this particular stud's paper's It said Silver Dun. That is what the registry called him.
You have seperate the "silver gene" here. The silver in silver grullo is a shade of color not a color with the silver gene at work like we have in minis. I had a big horse silver grullo. Grullo, which is the dun gene on a black horse...(therefore it is "black dun") like any other color comes in various shades. Lobo dun is very dark grullo and at the opposite end is silver grullo which is a very light grullo (most carrying the cream gene). :bgrin

That's my stallion, Erica's Gone and DunIT -- I don't think I'll be roaching his mane :bgrin :bgrin :bgrin
He's gorgeous, I wouldn't roach his mane either. Just saying that if you did, his color would resemble my FILs Fjord team quite well.

I understand
default_wink.png
: His bridle path now makes him look a little like his mane is roached but he's also woolly all over :bgrin

My MIL sent me a team picture, but it's actually of her cousin's Fjord team, which are almost identical in color to my in-laws Fjords.

So, here are the "white" Fjords.

DarrelsFjords.jpg

Unfortunately, the harness covers up the dorsal.

[see Jill, they are colored similar to Dun It.
default_wink.png
: ]

They are beautiful! Their color also reminds me of my silver buckskin filly, Flirt
default_yes.gif
:
default_yes.gif
:
default_yes.gif
:

Latest posts

Back