Fjord colored minis?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shari

Reaction score
Are there any mini's out there with a Fjord body and mane and tail coloring?

As far as I know...the coloring of a fjord is unique to that breed. The closest thing would be a dun or buckskin and there are mini's with that coloration.

I'd pay to see miniature fjords though! How cute would that be?

The Fjord is one of my dream horses BTW....I have always dreamed of owning a field full of them. I can't seem to work them in the budget though
default_wink.png
:.

Fjords are dun and grullo, I have pictures of both colors. Duns are way more common. So any mini who is dun or grullo/a would be Fjord color. Fjords have strong bi-colored manes and tails and not all duns have strong bi-colored manes so you may have to search a little to find good bi-coloring.

Edited to say..Tracerace, Fjord breeders call grullo "gray", but it's dun on black which is grullo/a to the rest of the world ';-)

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree...I thought a Fjord was a dun, grulla etc.??
I'm pretty sure they don't have grullas....here's a list...man I love looking at Fjords! Aren't they adorable?

http://www.bluebirdlane.com/colour.html
What they consider to be a grey dun is what I consider to be a grulla. This is my grulla?grey dun mare.

angelmares.jpg
angelmares2.jpg

...and I know, Fjords do not come in pinto...my mare is a minimal pinto, but her coloration is generally the same as that of the Fjords.

I am tempted to search, would really like a nice Brown Dun mini mare to grace my pastures.

I miss my Fjord...pasture looks naked without her. But she has gone to a good home and get to do what she loves to do..which is Drive!!

Hence the Question. :bgrin

She is close to a Fjord Grey Dun Mona...roach her mane and....... :bgrin

I am tempted to search, would really like a nice Brown Dun mini mare to grace my pastures.

I miss my Fjord...pasture looks naked without her. But she has gone to a good home and get to do what she loves to do..which is Drive!!

Hence the Question. :bgrin

She is close to a Fjord Grey Dun Mona...roach her mane and....... :bgrin

Roach her mane?? I think NOT!
default_wink.png
: She manages to break it off and it DOES stand up, and I try everything to keep it DOWN! LOL!!

Her dam was what would be comparable to the Fjord color chart's "brown dun". Kind of just a more "regular" color dun with the frosting and all other dun markings too. She too was a very minimal pinto.

There is Black Dun in Fjords, it just looks slightly different.

Genetically speaking there is no such think as a silver Dun- unless you are talking about a Dun with Silver and there is no Silver in Fjords.

There is Pinto but it is down to minmal Sabino and possibly Splash-a Pinto Fjord would not be accepted for registration although if they join the EU they will have to be accepted- same with Double Dilutes- they happen but, at present are not accepted for registration.

Fjords are H/Z Dun.

My Grulla mares have the cream either side of the dorsal in the mane and tail but are not the typical Buckskin- Dun of a Fjord- I'll see if I can find a picture of a Grullo Fjord- it is called Black Dun in Europe, not Grullo.

I am fostering a silver buckskin with dun factor at the moment. I remember when he was a yearling he had rubbed all of his mane out of a 8" long strip. He was being shown by a child just for fun and I helped to do a "fjord" cut for his entire mane. It actually looked super cute...and a lot better than when we started! He certainly isn't built like a Fjord though...

-Amy

Ahhh! Grulla=grey/dun! Sort of like chestnut=sorrel in some circles. Got it!

Mona, your mare is adorable!

Hi Shari!
default_smile.png

We have a couple of HillTop's Little Vegas (Jean B's Stallion) Zebra Dun get that have alot of coloring in the mane and tail, heavy dorsals, and tons of Zebra Stripes. I don't know if they are really *Fjord* looking, but they sure are pretty ponies!!
default_wub.png
:

This is Little Maiden, she is 16 years old and a Gorgeous Zebra Dun:

LittleMaiden.jpg

And this is her half brother Dusty Lanes Vegas Robber Baron (Dusty), both by Jean B's Stallion, Vegas:

Dusty10.jpg

and

DustyandHotShot2.jpg

Jean's Stallion, Vegas is still a Stunning Stud and is over 20 years old, he throws Gorgeous Babies that look and act just like him, I would get several more of his babies if I could!
default_wub.png
:

Nancy

There is Black Dun in Fjords, it just looks slightly different.

Genetically speaking there is no such think as a silver Dun- unless you are talking about a Dun with Silver and there is no Silver in Fjords.

There is Pinto but it is down to minmal Sabino and possibly Splash-a Pinto Fjord would not be accepted for registration although if they join the EU they will have to be accepted- same with Double Dilutes- they happen but, at present are not accepted for registration.

Fjords are H/Z Dun.

My Grulla mares have the cream either side of the dorsal in the mane and tail but are not the typical Buckskin- Dun of a Fjord- I'll see if I can find a picture of a Grullo Fjord- it is called Black Dun in Europe, not Grullo.

I beg the differ! My friend in CO breeds Fjords on the side, Her stallion is reg as a Silver dun! Here is a little info:

http://bluebirdlane.com/colour.html The grey is also a silver color. But as it says the Grey Dun SHOULD be called a "black dun" BUT on this particular stud's paper's It said Silver Dun. That is what the registry called him.

Hehe, Karla, I was just going to post and say "Blessing!" Where's that one foal picture with her mane standing up and blowing forward?

Leia

Dear Shari:

First, please accept my sympathy and compassion for your accident. Don't have flowery words or some sort of wisdom to impart -- but will keep you in my thoughts. Also, I'd sure like to hear updates of your recovery process.

As for FJORD-type minis, perhaps the closest color type would be a primitive dun.

Can I make a humble suggestion, perhaps an excellent resource is Jean Barnhill of Dusty Lane Miniatures. She has a gorgeous stallion who's very typey of what you seek -- his name is HILLTOPS LITTLE VEGAS. Here's a link to see the handsome, elderly gent -- I'm president of his fan club! :aktion033:

http://www.miniatureequine.com/dustylane/Stallion

He's thrown some beautiful, primitive-type get. Below is a link to see a son, named Dusty Lane Vegas Wild Card:

http://www.wildwebranchers.com/dundreaminforsale

HOWEVER, Jean had a stud colt that more closely resembled a Fjord. His name was Two Eyed Jack. I'm sure Jean will have a photo of him that may be of interest!

Keep us posted on your search. Take care!

Cindy

I have had these fjord colour photos on hand for a long time... from the link jjnov posted above...

fjordbacks.jpg

From right to left: uls dun, brown dun, yellow dun, red dun, and grey

fjordface.jpg

From left to right: uls dun, brown dun, yellow dun, red dun, and grey

Not really.Grulla is an American only term.

The correct term is Black Dun.
In Icelandic horses it is blue dun...
default_yes.gif
:

The closest I've seen was my stallion (now sold to CAM), Incredible.

He had the white frosting on either side of his mane, from forelock to withers, and even at his tailhead.

he had some shading over his shoulder area and a stripe down his back at times of the year.

But no leg barring.

Anyway, though I LOVED his naturally thin, long mane, I thought how cool it would look to roach it like a Fjord!

His son, Kyan, though a silver, has some of the same thing going on.

Some buckskins do have the white frosting that emulates the Fjord coloration, but wow I used to have the most amazing Grulla mare and her filly here (by my/CAM's stallion) and they had all the dun goodies...such a sweet mare that was. If you are really interested contact me and I could see if she might be willing to part w/her (this mare is solid gold attitude I've never met one like her).

Liz M.

Back