First time pregnancy,..not sure how far she is

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looking at those pictures, plus taking into account her 'grumpy' episodes, I will say again that you are going to have a baby before you know it!! In fact I wouldn't be taking my eyes off her, especially as she is a maiden mare. To my way of thinking, she could catch you out and foal in 24 hours or she might last another week - no telling with these girls LOL!! Have a read up on what to look for as labour starts and how it should progress also what you can do to help the new little one into the world. As a first foaler she will probably need/be grateful for some assistance so you need to be really vigilant so that you can be there at the birth.

Sending you good wishes for a smooth easy foaling (when it happens!) and a gorgeous healthy little baby!
default_yes.gif

Do you have a camera we can help watch her
default_smile.png

Wow look at her udder go!! how exciting keep a close eye on her
default_smile.png

HI guys, and yes after her behaviour yesterday I stayed up and checked her every hour last night..Unfortunately I dont have a video camera setup which is a bummer had I known earlier I definiely would have done this and put her up on Marestare , which I must say is a brilliant idea...I had a couple of hours sleep after my husband got up before he went to work but now I am up again so it might be a very long week ...lol...I will watch the red bag videos now.. I have been watching all of the birthing videos especially those of maiden mares... I live in a country town but I have alertted our local vet and he has just said call if things dont seem right :/ ....anyway my eyes are watching her closely and I will definitely be keeping a close eye on her. She is situated about 30 metres away from my front door so she is very close..I have also been told by some that she will definitely only birth at night but I have noticed we have had some daytime births on here and my goats last season had all their babies in the mid afternoon which is very unusual for my crew they used to go through the night... What are your thoughts ?.ok keep you updated throughout the day... thanks again
default_smile.png

Well Cocoa foaled at about 6am for both her 1st and 2nd foals but her 3rd and 4th were at about lunch time lol so im of no help haha

No thats great Jade because thats what I was thinking...ummm you wouldnt happen to know where I can find the info on Red Bag or labour signs, cbecause I am finding it hard to locate this info on here ? .. anyone ?

Well Cocoa foaled at about 6am for both her 1st and 2nd foals but her 3rd and 4th were at about lunch time lol so im of no help haha

No thats great Jade because thats what I was thinking...ummm you wouldnt happen to know where I can find the info on Red Bag or labour signs, cbecause I am finding it hard to locate this info on here ? .. anyone ?

ok I just watched the videos and I am pretty sure I know what to look for... If anyone is out there to answer these questions for me please...? .. With my goats they just give birth Placenta comes out and the cord releases itself...Sooooo

1.Do you always have to cut or tie the cord with minis

2.Do you need to ring the vet if you see the red bag or is it fine if the foal is out and ok

3.Do you need to pull the placenta out or will it just come out naturally and howlong should that take

4.Is there anything else I need to do ?

Thanks Castlerock and Country mini

Every video is different but sofar this has been the best with the audio and the close ups of exactly what they were doing...

I dont cut the cord but thats probably because my mares very sneaky and i missed it

Might need to double check this, but all the videos I've seen with a red bag the cord has been cut and tied.In a normal delivery it can probably just break naturally like the goats. If I had a red bag foaling I'd get the vet out to make sure everyone was ok.

Yes thats the one I watched country mini nd it was the best I have seen so far .. ok well hopefully everything will be fine and I wont have to do anything...lol ( wishful thinking )...but yes if it was a redbag delivery I would definitely get my vet out...Thanks Jade I am hoping it will be like the goats haha....she is very still today still brumpy but it is extremely hot here today and she is staying under her shelter alot, poor thing

"brumpy" haven't heard that mare mood before, but it sounds good
default_new_rofl.gif

I'm Hayley btw (save you typing extra characters)
default_smile.png

hahahah hey hayley, thanks for picking up my typo ...hahahaha...One very nervous nanna to be here
default_smile.png
hows is Bindi going today

OK I have just tried to measure her and she is 32-34 inches does that sound about right

Last edited by a moderator:
That looks about right, altho I'm leaning toward the 32 side of your measurement by the look of your first photos.

I agree she wouldnt really co-operate with me today ..ahahaha.. but I agree the closer to 32 I think... Still dont have any background on her so it would be interesting to see what you all think about her breed or colour
default_smile.png
.... anyway she is still grumpy and getting very slow , still staying near her shelter so we have just fenced off her shelter so that at night she will be restricted and during the day I will let he back out again...thanks again everyone and I will post more photos tomorrow if there isnt an addition already.. There isnt much change today her udders are as full as they can get and there appears to be white milk coming out so we will keep watching her every 20-30 mins

I really want to congratulate you - you are doing brilliantly getting organised for this coming foal, especially considering how this event has been rather sprung on you with very little warning!
default_yes.gif

In the case of a possible red bag, I would put a quick call into your vet as soon as anything red instead of white is STARTING to show, then get busy yourself carefully cutting the bag and getting the foal out. A lot of red bag deliveries are straightforward (foal is following normally) but in some the foal can be mis-presented, so the fast attendance of a vet is important.

Here we never just sit back and watch our mares give birth, we always try to assist. Once we can see the little nose appearing on top of the legs we move in to offer help, grasping the foals legs by the cannon bones (not the hooves) and GENTLY keeping a downward pressure with each of the mare's contractions - no pulling! As a maiden mare she will obviously be 'tight' and you may wonder if the foal will ever get through, but take it slowly and all will be well.

Once the foal is out, the most important thing to do is to immediately clear the birth bag from its head (if it has not already broken) so the foal can breathe. Time to take a big breath yourself LOL!! Leave the foal where it is, still attached by the cord to the mare, possibly with the back feet still very close or even just inside the mare - do not pull the foal away as this is the time when extra and important blood is passing from the mare to the foal via the cord, plus your girl will be taking a breather herself after all the effort.

Cords usually break naturally after the end of the blood flow period and when the foal starts to struggle to it's feet. I have only found it necessary to cut a cord when the foal is trying to get up and the cord doesn't break - make sure you have some scissors safely right to hand in case this should happen - you wont have time to go and find them and it is very important that the foal doesn't start to pull the afterbirth away from the mare. Never pull on the afterbirth, it will come away naturally on its own - this can take several hours!

It can help to give the foal a little rub down while it is lying there, (and dont forget to peek between its back legs/under its tail to check for the sex!!) but basically once baby is trying to get up and the cord has broken, now is the time to remove yourself from the stall and leave Momma and baby to find each other. Keep a good watch from outside the stall - you need to see baby safely on its feet, Momma up on her feet and to watch her reaction to the foal - first foalers can sometimes be a bit amazed to suddenly find this strange little being in their stalls!

Now you will get many different 'thoughts' on what to do next, but I am very strongly for the idea to leave well alone! This is an extremely important time for a foal to bond with its mother - foals do not have good eyesight and learn to bond with their dams by scent/smell, too many humans in a stall at this time (people helping the foal to its feet or even a vet manhandling a new foal to check it over when not necessary etc etc) can really confuse a baby and often means that it starts to follow/look for humans in those first few hours instead of knowling the scent of its dam. It can also cause a lot of stress to the mare who can get very protective of her baby, so leave well alone - this is when you want the endless cuppas while you keep watch to see that all is well and that the foal is progressing normally plus that your girl is happy to accept her new baby.

Your mare will have done piles of 'sloppy/loose' droppings at the onset of her labour - natures way of clearing out her system. About an hour after she foals give her a small wet feed of her usual food and follow this up with several small wet feeds for the next 12 hours as her system requires moisture going through it to 'kick' start it again. If all is well she can have a supply of soft hay to munch on after that first wet feed. I suggest that you remove her water bucket as soon as labour starts and replace it once the foal is born, but this time tie it up within reach of the mare but out of the foal's reach - many babies have drowned by falling into a water bucket during their first attempts to get to their feet!

The only other thing I will add is this - maiden mares do normally take longer to foal than mares that have had several babies, but if your mare has been having contractions for longer than 15 minutes with no sign of the coming baby - call your vet as help may be required.

Good luck, our fingers are crossed for you, and remember at least 90% of the time everything will work out fine, it just pays to be alert and ready to help and to share in the wonderful moment of birth.
default_yes.gif

oh ok .. been out there with her all day and yes watching every 20 so now I will sit out in the pergola so we can keep a closer eye on her
default_smile.png
.. thanks for letting me know hayley
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back