First time pregnancy,..not sure how far she is

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Aww shes lil cutie and she is looking quite round
default_smile.png
my guess is that she is pregnant going off them pictures. How exciting for you!!

Have you had a look at Robins pregnancy thread? Because she is also a maiden and was even rounder than Cocoa and she still hasnt popped.

Did the previous owners tell you anything about the stallion? his height? colour?
No I will jump on and have a look at robins and see how she is going thanks.

No Unfortunately I have tried to make contact with the original owners but have had no reply after several emails. The lady I bought her from also had no idea so I am going this alone ... but now I feel much more confident that I have all you guys to help me out with some advice and experience
default_smile.png

checking out robins pregnancy and OMG she is Massive...oops sorry robyn
default_sad.png
.... far out she looks like she is going to burst.. Do you all really think Molly will get that big

Maybe I was too early to jump on maybe she still has a couple of months to go...now I am really confused
default_sad.png

Last edited by a moderator:
All mares are different, robin carries very wide, cocoa has never carried that wide even with her first foal. I don't think Molly will get that big (I'm not a professional though lol )

I hope I havnt worried you I just meant to show you that they can get a lot wider

hahaha no your input has been great Jade, I just cant believe that mini's get that big.....Oh well I suppose I have to wait and see it would just be interesting to have a rough idea of how far along she would be...Also how many days does a pregnancy go for ?

The average for a miniature is 320 but they can go anywhere from 300 days to a year. Sometimes even early then 300 days but we prefer after
default_smile.png

How's Molly today? I just looked back at her udder shots and the second photo looks fuller than your first one. Could be just me tho...

You'll have to get her to send Bindi an email with step by step instructions on how to fill an udder
default_new_rofl.gif

hahahaha very true, (instructions ) ... Yep and it is fuller again today these photos were taken 24 hours apart and now she is fuller will try and get more photos tomorrow and post them for you all
default_smile.png
... Do you think this could mean she is getting close ??

Think Anna said they can start developing a bag at 6 - 4 weeks before birth but Molly's are pretty developed. Every mare is different, which is a pain, but check her against Cocoa's photos that Jade put up for a bit of an idea.

yeah, I have followed cocoa"s foal nd she isnt quite as big in size but her udder is definitely pretty big in comparison ..I will watch her closely tonight and then take some more pics tomorrow and see what you all think
default_smile.png

ok I am now trying to find out what sort of mini Molly is does anyone have an idea from looking at her ??... also I am trying to determine her height but I am not sure where I take the measurements from ..any suggestions ??

I have been watching some of the foaling videos on here tonight and I notice all the mares are in stalls. Molly doesnt have a stall but she does have an enclosure that only has one side open as it would be too hot here in Qld Australia to enclose it fully.. Should I be restricting her pen to a much smaller one to encourage her to have the foal in the shelter? , and should I be putting straw or shavings or something on her floor?...

LOL!! Diane - I have inded taken the odd snooze alongside a sleeping mare! That's how I can tell that my girls are comfortable enough when laying down during their late pregnancies - and boy, they all spend hours laying flat out at night! I always say to go and lay down on your mares foaling bed and if, after half an hour, you still find the bed soft and comfortable and not 'hard' under you, then you have enough beddng down on the floor.
default_yes.gif

Kehran, it is just my opinion, but I think your little Molly may be a lot closer to foaling than you think. I know her tummy doesnt look that large yet, but it is still a good size for a maiden mare. Her udder, from your pictures, DOES look well developed for a maiden mare - will be interested to see the new pics from behind her between her back legs if you can get them.

So a few thngs for you to note down/consider. As Diane says, I would also be restricting her to a smaller area at night - this doesn't mean small, you need an area/stall type enclosure that will allow plenty of room for her to lay flat out plus enough extra room for you to move round her while she's down (so you can assist with the birth), plus the possibility of a second person in the stall if you are lucky enough to have a helper (or the vet should it be necessary!).

You need to ask your vet if he/she will give you a small bottle of whatever they recommend for treating the end of the foal's cord immediately after the birth. Also keep the number of your vet logged into your mobile phone so that you can make an immediate call if necessary. Also a couple of towels so that you can give the foal a little gentle rub over to help dry it out, although with plenty of bedding around and your lovely warm weather,there is little chance of baby catching cold!

What are you feeding Molly? It would be a good idea to get her started slowly on a good mare and foal feed as soon a possible (this is safe for baby to nibble at as soon as it is ready). Be sure to give plenty of soft leafy hay while Molly is shut in over night and during the day if you dont have a lot of grass. Plenty of exercise is very important for a mare in late pregnancy - how much space does Molly have? And does she have access to grass? If, for some reason, there is a lack of space and/or grass, then several good longish walks a day, preferably to a nice grazing patch, will help.

As Diane also said, a light of some sort is really essential- working by torch light to foal a mare is not really the best way to do it! But one of the best things that you can have once labour starts is a human companion. These wonderful people can help to keep you calm (even if they know nothing about foaling mares!), can even assist when you suddenly find you need more than your two hands, can use the phone for you, can offer big hugs once it is all over, and can go and make endless cups of tea or coffee to keep you happy while you are quietly watching your new miracle and waiting for it to stand/take the first steps/find the milk bar. Yes, foaling may be over in minutes, but the quiet watching in wonderment afterwards can take hours!!

Weather permitting I'm going to try going natural with Bindi. I have a smaller grassy yard area with an enclosure she can walk in and out of. If it looks like its going to rain tho, I'll put her in for the night.

Cant wait to see more progress from Molly. Good distraction for me seeing Bindi is in limbo

For measuring -- you measure from the last mane hair straight down to the ground. So, find where the mane starts growing where it attaches to the back, and measure straight down to the ground. You can buy measuring sticks for taking this measurement. I'm interested in knowing how tall she is, too.
Unless she's mini pony in which case it's from the wither
default_smile.png

Do you know which type she is? It can be hard to tell at a glance so if you know what her parents are registered (sorry if you've said this already) and if you don't then you need to work out which type she more strongly resembles.

OK guys thanks for all your advice Molly has been acting really weird today not moving around much and her udder is getting fuller by the day.. She also seems to have dropped in her belly ( enough even for hubby to notice ). What do you guys think getting really excited but also nervous..:/ .. She isnt happy about the bottom of her belly being touched today and she is becoming really sooky and staying close to her shelter which is unusual for her.. She is in a paddock which is Rhodes Grass which is all she has been feeding on with the odd exception of carrots or licorice. The vet said she would be fine on that but again this is the vet that couldnt tell if she was pregnant only 6 weeks ago...lol..Here are photos from today, I will try to get one from the back and put it up .. Thanks again guys your help is invaluable..

DSCF1076.JPGDSCF1077.JPGDSCF1078.JPGDSCF1082.JPGDSCF1083.JPGDSCF1084.JPGDSCF1085.JPG

Nice udder, LOL, as only one waiting Mom to another can appreciate! Looks like your close, Hope it all goes smooth!

Have you started Milk testing her yet to see where she is at?

Latest posts

Back