First Harness

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newtominis

Reaction score
I am in the process of starting "ground-driving" with my almost two year old gelding, but we've been using a halter and two lead ropes, so I was thinking it's about time to get a harness. I'm not planning on hitching him up to a cart until he is at least three, but I would like some opinions on harnesses, keeping in mind that it is just for pleasure and not showing.

http://www.nwminitack.com/beta.html

I too am just getting started driving and have spent weeks now learning all I can before deciding what's right for us. The experts will be along shortly to critique that harness I'm sure. They have been very helpful to me, I was totally clueless but am slowly making my plan now with the help I've gotten.

Well, I have to say if it were me I'd keep looking. The saddle is flat and thin looking with no tree, also for a variety of reasons it looks cheaply made and if I am going to be relying on it to keep me and my horse safe I want to start with feeling confidant it is well built enough to do that. Sorry but that is just my opinion. Sometimes less expensive is more expensive in the long run when the product doesn't give us what we hoped for.

you might try http://www.ronshorseharness.com/ or Ozark mini tack (google it I don't have the link) or there are several other reasonably priced harness sellers that also sell a very nice product.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know anything about this harness, but mine has a wooden saddle tree in it.

And if you do trails you may want a breecher. I couldn't do with out mine as I have lots of hills.

I also got harness pads and put them on the harness. My girl realy. Likes that.

If you get a headstall with a check get one that can be removed. That way if you don't need it you don't

Have to have it on.

Sorry I am not much help.

The others can help you more.

Last edited by a moderator:
that betathane harness looks to be very cheaply made. I wouldn't touch it--not only for reignmakers reasons above but also...I really dislike the saddle--it is so short and then there is nothing but that long narrow strap from saddle to girth. IMO that long narrow strap is too likely to cause rubbing/pinching--I know my horses would not like it! The Ozark harness is my pick but the one from Ron's is good too--everyone I know that has one if those is very pleased with it.

Ok my harness does have a wider girth strap, so I see what minimor is saying. Mine is also leather.

Hope you find one that will work for you

Latest posts

Back