First Attempt To Harness

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rubyviewminis

Reaction score
I got my first harness for Masq finally and the weather cooperated enough to get him bathed to try it on him for fit. He was antsy for his dinner, my husband wasn't in a cooperative mood, and I just put it on cold turkey without looking at any of my charts, books, or videos, mainly to see if the harness fit. So I really wanted to get some opinions on the fit on him, and how good or bad it sets on him. I took the traces off so the breast collar kind of sits *upended* a little, and I need to put one more hole in the strap where I have the leather pulled up above the buckle to the crupper. the crupper isn't tight. With his moving around it loosened a little bit from where I had it, another 2 inches I think to bring it over his hip bone, is that right? I didn't want to put any holes in yet, or completely buckle any buckles, so keep that in mind. Do I need closer up pictures? What is right and what is wrong? I don't know (without looking to read it) what the extra straps are that I looped through the "tugs?" attached to the girth, wrap straps? Anyway I didn't want anything dragging the ground so I looped and buckled them for the pictures.

Then there is the bridle. Second time in a bit and he was chomping away, and I have only had an open bridle on him. I took off the sidecheck, and I buckled the bit a little loose for him to take the pictures. I just needed to know if the general fit is good on him. And a biggy is, I only know the blinders need to have his eye in the center. How do I adjust them out away from his eye. It is such a nice harness I didn't want to bend the blinder adjustment not knowing what I was doing. I also forgot to do something with his long thick forelock before trying this on. And is the caveson buckled loose or snug? I buckled that loose also since he is not trained yet, and was just trying a fit. And that's a harness halter under the bridle.

All in all, I thought it fit him very well even in my clumsy attempt. I sure appreciate any pointers, opinions, and help. I have a bitting rig he will be started in soon, after reviewing some groundwork and lots of desensitizing, so I have a busy summer ahead.

IMG_0001.JPG IMG_0002.JPG

IMG_0005.JPG IMG_0007.JPG

IMG_0011.JPG IMG_0014.JPG

IMG_0017.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
What a handsome boy!

I think I'll make a couple of comments about the bridle. First, I don't think you have a caveson, you have a nose band. A caveson, as I understand it, is a seperate piece, not attached to the bridle. I would not worry about whether the noseband is buckled tightly. If you find that he is a horse that likes to get the tongue over the bit, you can tighten it, but otherwise buckled just enough to keep the headstall secure.

If you lower the browband on the headstall, you should be able to work with the blinders better. Bend them down in the middle, then outward at his eyes. Don't worry about working with them; that is what they have wires for.

I think you are off to a good start!

Thank you so much! He is a handsome devil. Hope he turns out to be a good driving horse. His little filly is two weeks old today.

This harness came from Double TT and they sure were great about everything.

When I got my harness (Ozark?) in order to get my crupper tight enough it pulled the hip straps way forward. I had them make and send me a custom crupper. They were great about it and it fit perfect. Might be an option if you have the same problem. Both of my minis are pretty short backed though. You may have enough adjustment in yours to work well.

He looks very sharp in his new harness.

Thank you, yes, for the pictures he was getting ansy and dh wasn't helping a lot, so the strap had slipped down a little from where I had pulled it up. This harness has a lot of adjustable options so yes I can get it more snug. I always cringe when putting another hole in leather tho lol.

Latest posts

Back