Finally!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Enchantress

Reaction score
Wasn't really sure when she was due as she was out with the stallion all year. She's had a teensy bag off and on for about 2 months now and it hadn't really changed when I checked her Sunday night. I couldn't express any liquid and she had no other signs so I went back home only to get a call from my mother Monday around 5 am "Don't you want to come see your baby!" That's a heck of a wake-up call! She had a bit of a rough start..didn't quite understand the sucking thing, had severe swelling in the eyes (inverted eyelashes) but was up and walking around and quite friendly. I syringe fed her for a while and she got so when she'd hear the "pop" of me pulling the plunger out she'd come over for her meal. Mom started out ok but ended up with severe cramping to the point she was down more than up for almost 3 hours; I had nothing to give her and could not get ahold of the vet. She did get up every time I went in to milk her and remained up long enough to milk her, and when the baby showed an interest in finding the milk bar stayed up until she gave up and came back to me for her syringe. It's her first baby so I'm always worried about the maidens, but she is THE most awesome mother. I managed to pin down the baby long enough to roll out her eyelashes and was rewarded with a good kick in my direction. The vet finally came out, gave mom some Banamine and baby some goopy stuff for her eyes and she did finally figure out the nursing on her own thing and is doing well! She still has one eye that's still swollen a bit and has to be medicated twice a day (I'm surprised she'll still let me near her!) She does, however, aim a nice kick in my direction every time I do something she's not too impressed with.

Well, I told the mare she'd better make it worthwhile if she was going to have a baby this late in the year and she came through! Bay pinto FILLY! I did a quick check after I was sure she was reasonably ok and I THOUGHT filly, but didn't really check for almost 24 hours as I was more concerned about her health.

Now I just have to keep my mother away from her so she doesn't get TOO spoiled.
default_biggrin.png

Anyone have any barn name ideas? I can't keep calling her "Little S*!t".

P1010008.jpg

P1010019.jpg

Congratulations! Oh, and don't worry about the name as that sounds perfect! LOL

Look at that proud momma!! And that sweet little baby girl! CONGRATULATIONS!!

default_aktion033.gif

I loved reading this. Who doesn't need a dose of Springtime as Winter approaches?

Also love the expression on the dam's face! You can tell she's about done with all of your attentions. :D

Cute filly, congratulations....I bet she will be 100% fine before you know it.

Liz

Love that momma's face! Congratulations...from what you say about her personality....I'd call her Jane...and I mean that with love!

Latest posts

Back