Filly from young mother

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

denny10012

Reaction score
Hello,

I ve been looking at a filly i really like and l am told she is AMHA registered but i have just found out the fillys Dam was only just over 2 years old when she gave birth to this foal, !!

My question is can you register a foal that has come from such a young mother....the sire is 4 years old i belive.

Thanks in Advance

As Genie said, yes in AMHA. There is no age restriction for registration there. If the filly has her AMHA papers, then there is nothing to worry about.

I bought a mare on application for AMHR. Was told everything was in order to register her, just send it in. So I did. Got back a rejection letter from AMHR saying that the mare was only 2 when she foaled (1 week before her 3rd birthday)therefor the foal could not be registered.

Lesson learned. That was our first mini we bought.

I bought a mare on application for AMHR. Was told everything was in order to register her, just send it in. So I did. Got back a rejection letter from AMHR saying that the mare was only 2 when she foaled (1 week before her 3rd birthday)therefor the foal could not be registered.

Lesson learned. That was our first mini we bought.
Was told when I call AMHR that if the sire is in their "3 year old year" a baby could be registered? As in if baby is born in may and sires birthday is june it can be registered?

Rule F2 under Roal Registration

"No Shetland or Miniature Horse foal may be

registered out of a sire or dam unless BOTH have

reached their third birthday (birthday as of January

1) during the foaling year."

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, if the foal has AMHA Parents can be registered AMHA than you hardship into AMHR. No Problems.

Was told when I call AMHR that if the sire is in their "3 year old year" a baby could be registered? As in if baby is born in may and sires birthday is june it can be registered?

Rule F2 under Roal Registration

"No Shetland or Miniature Horse foal may be

registered out of a sire or dam unless BOTH have

reached their third birthday (birthday as of January

1) during the foaling year."
This was 5 or 6 years ago and I was told by 2 different people at AMHR the same answer I posted above. It was a shame because the foal was nice but I did not have the money to hardship in at the time.

Well accidents happening or not... I'm glad AMHR has such a rule for registration in place. It helps discourage irresponsible breeding of poor, young mares and stallions (although a lot less physically and mentally stressful for a colt for sure!).

Andrea

Latest posts

Back