Feeding question???

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

New2Minis

Reaction score
I have ALWAYs fed my Biggies and my Minis grain twice a day. Lately alot of people have been telling me that they only feed grain one time a day to their Mini's.

What is your opinion on this??

Thanks in advance!
default_aktion033.gif
default_yes.gif
default_aktion033.gif

I think you have been right all the time!

I feed mine grain twice a day starting mid Oct til spring depends when it starts staying warmer, approx April 15th, then they just eat grass. I feed hay 3 times a day right now just because I am home. That is on the same schedule as grain Oct til April..

They say it is so much better for their digestion not to feed all at the same time split it up in the day ..

No double portions, but a little extra hay.
default_wink.png

Twice a day is best and if you have an underweight, or any medical issue, horse, then three times or more is even better. And you divide up the daily ration into the amount of times you feed a day. Our cushings horse did great on three times a day, okay on two and would have never looked or acted like he did if we only did one. Our vets have always recommended horses to get their daily ration in at least two feedings, especially with the rescues/adoptions we have taken in.

Ours get grain twice a day during the winter with hay.. During the spring and early summer the lactating mares get grain twice a day with pasture turnout, the stallions get grain twice a day with limited pasture.. Summer through fall the mares are on daily pasture turnout, dry lotted at night and given grain at night, then with weaning we cut the mares back a little on grain but remain on pasture and when the pastures die off they go back to twice a day feedings..

I split the amount in half and feed twice a day. In a perfect world (one where I did not have to go to a JOB!) I would feed them their grain 3 times a day - keeps the gut in better balance, less chance for colic, and happier healthier and not as bored horses.

I split the amount in half and feed twice a day. In a perfect world (one where I did not have to go to a JOB!) I would feed them their grain 3 times a day - keeps the gut in better balance, less chance for colic, and happier healthier and not as bored horses.

Most days mine get 4 times a day. *blush* Well, they don't get grain, but they do get soaked beet pulp and alfalfa/timothy mix cubes as well as hay. On the rare occasion that I am not home all day they get fed at least twice.

I found with my old pony who has since passed away that 6 pounds of feed divided into two feedings kept more weight on him than 6 pounds of feed fed once a day. So I will always feed twice a day at the very least (unless I am just feeding hay, in which case I would often put enough out to last them all day and one feeding would be plenty).

I think different schedules can work for different people and their horses.

What we do is feed grain 2x a day and it's complete feed. Sweet feed isn't something I feel comfortable with anymore, but that said just as above -- it works great for some people and their horses
default_yes.gif

Additionally, we try and have our feed times spaced about 10-12 hours appart. This time of year, they are fed around 4am and 4pm.

Latest posts

Back