Feeding Pregnant Miniature

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CRERS

Reaction score
Hi Everyone -

We rescued a large Mini in bad shape from a local auction here in Maryland back in July. As she started to gain weight, her belly began to really round out and out of concern, we had our vet out to check for pregnancy. Yup, she was in foal (after the owner selling her told us there was no way she was pregnant).

We just had another ultrasound done last month and she looks to be approximately 8 months along by the measurements. Thankfully, she is really turning into a sweetheart - she was not a happy girl when we got her and was deathly afraid of people. Going anywhere near her back end prompted a flurry of feet flying at you, but she now allows us to do her feet and she allows me to clean her teets and braid her tail (gigantic progress with her!
default_aktion033.gif
).

Anyway, since she is 3 months out from delivery, we've switched her over to Blue Seal Mare and Foal. My issue/concern is what amount I should be feeding her? It's says .50 to .75 per 100 lbs. of body weight and she is last weight taped at 290 lbs. When I feed her, it seems like soooo much food for a Mini, but I don't want to short her on the amount of food she needs either. Our Miniature gelding looks at food and gains weight and is a little rolly polly on Triple Crown Lite, so feeding Merrylegs this amount just seems like so much food.

I have never had a pregnant Miniature, so this is all new to me. I have read every book I can get my hands on, talked to Mini breeders and friends who've had pregnant Mini's and I have been through foaling before, but not with a horse so little.

We have absolutely no idea what she is bred to, so I worry about the size of the little one as well. Merry is not a maiden mare - our vet said she has definitely had foals before, but still I worry. I have a friend who is right up the road that breeds Miniatures and she's on stand-by for me as well as our awesome veterinarian when she foals, thankfully, because I'll be a wreck I'm sure. Her pictures (and ultrasound pic's) are on our website at www.celticreinrescue.org (available horses page, although she's not available at this time) if anyone would like to see her. She's really a little doll
default_smile.png

I would be so appreciative if anyone could give me some pointers or advice on properly feeding her to be sure she and baby get what they need without worrying that I'm over feeding her. She also is out on pasture (not fescue) during the day from 7am till 6pm and gets timothy/orchard grass hay, mineral & regular salt blocks.

We pulled her from Westminster for next to nothing and just recently pulled a 3 Y/0 colt for $50 that absolutely nobody would bid on
default_sad.png
We had him gelded immediately and he is the sweetest little guy - he goes home to his new mom next week! I could not believe the prices that horses were bringing, especially Mini's. The Mini's usually bring more money, but not lately....it's very sad.

Steph

We let the mare be the guide. If they are not fat I will give them a good grass alfalfa mix twice a day, and we give them a supplement (Nutrena Senior) once a day.

Typically in their last 6 weeks they are hungry all the time and we increase their feed. By then they are in a barn stall and we can watch them closer.

The last mare I had in foal was similar in weight as the one you mentioned.

She was getting Blue Seal Mare and Foal.. about 1.5 twice daily. I also put her on Mare Plus (supplement). Free choice of good quality hay and just to spoil her more she also received approx. 1/2 flake of alfalfa hay and when I couldn't get hay I used alfalfa pellets. No pasture (fescue). Plenty of turnout during the day, this continued up until the day she foaled.

This mare was very nice to me, displaying all the signs in the early morning and I had a beautiful filly on the ground by 3:00 in the AFTERNOON. Textbook delivery. Healthy and well rounded baby and the dam stayed in excellent shape all through nursing. I did eventually need to increase her feed and alfalfa some as the filly grew..

I am in the same boat you are. Only I am not sure how far along my mini is. She is a maiden and just started showing. We are wee testing just in case.

Right now I am feeding Platform pony and mini. 1 -1.5 lbs 3 times a day. for late gestation/ lactation. It seem like a lot to me. But my girl was very ribby to start with.

I am switching her to a 14% complete and mare plus supplement once I confirm her in foal.

This is also my very first foaling. If she is that is.

Now, this is going to probably sound like a very stupid question, but it's ok to feed her some alfalfa hay?

I have her on a very soft timothy/orchard grass mix right now. A few different people told me that Alfalfa hay would be too much for a Miniature and it didn't make much sense to me, but I figured that they've foaled Mini's before and I haven't, so they would know better than me.

I have some wonderful,
beautiful alfalfa hay in the barn right now that I bought specifically for her, but just didn't touch it because I was told it's too rich for her?? I would LOVE to give her some of it!

Is it really ok to do and if so, how much of it is ok to give her.......the stuff we got from our farmer is beautiful and he said it would be great for her during lactation, etc...but others looked at me like I had 10 heads saying I was going to give my pregnant Mini alfalfa?!

I absolutely adore this little mare and the stress of not doing something right drives me insane - she's turned into 'my little pony', lol and I just want everything to go right for her.

Thanks so much for the advice everyone - I GREATLY appreciate it!

Steph

There are a great many mini-owners who feed alfalfa and their horses do very well. It's especially good for pregnant and lactacting mares, IMO. In the past when straight alfalfa was the only hay I could find, I fed it to ALL of my horses, and they all did great. You do need to be more careful of how much they are fed as it can add weight fast. If you want to start feeding your mare the alfalfa you have, just start out very slowly, giving just a handful with her other hay and gradually (very gradually) increase it.

Good luck with your mare!
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back