Feeding Oats

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WSR's_Judy

Reaction score
I was just curious if your feeding program includes feeding oats.

And if so what type of oats do you feed, whole, crimped, or rolled?

Do you feed only oats or do you mix it with other feeds?

Judy

I like Racehorse oats - they are very clean (which can be a problem with some oats...)

if I mix them or not, depends on who I am feeding to them to, and what that horse is doing ex) weanlings, broodmares, show horses, pasture horses ext.......

Whole oats, but like Erica said they can be dusty, so check the bag, mine are double cleaned. I mix with omlene 100 per my vet. Kathy

Mine are rolled and mixed with a protein pellet and oil. With the oil I have no problems with them being dusty.

For my own mix, I have this mixture, simply cleaned whole oats 80% and 20% cracked corn and a little molasses put on it. For the weanlings, I mix this, soaked beep pulp, half my grain mix and half Omelene. Sometimes I mash a ripe banana up in the mixture too, just for a treat. Next time I order my grain though, I'll get crimped oats as the llama woman told me llamas aren't supposed to have whole oats and they're in with my weanlings. These weanlings love this mixture though, they just wait by the gate and beg for it and they seem to be doing well on it.

I feed hullless oats. You never see any get pasted through in the manure and they are very clean and not dusty. Easy to digest and my horses love them.

I do mix a little Omelene 200 for some horses.

Thanks for your input, I was curious if anyone fed oats, because I feed my QH whole oats with Omelene and my minis get very little crimped oats with Omelene mix.

Judy

We feed whole oats with the Progressive Nutrition Grass Diet Balancer to our minis. Our big horses get whole oats and beet pulp.

That's the only thing about just feeding oats, you still need to add a ration balancer, or at the very least a complete vitamin/mineral supplement. When I feed oats, I go with the triple screened whole racehorse oats, that already have the oil added to them for additional fat. I mix with the minimum amount of Safe Choice (or really any commercial feed would work) to ensure they are getting all the vitamins/minerals (not just a mineral block). I use Calf Manna's Sho Glo for the vitamin/mineral supplement when feeding just oats, plus a ration balancer from my vet (to take care of the calcium/phosphorus ratios).

We buy a ton of nice clean whole oats fresh from the farmers fields for all the mares for winter along with there Hoffmans and hay. Stallions never get oats only a complete bagged feed or they'd be out of control as we found out first hand one winter.
ohmy.gif

I'm feeding Progressive Nutrition grass balancer, whole oats, BOSS and grass hay to my minis; my senior half-arab gelding is getting COB (light on the corn), senior pellets, BOSS and mixed hay (mostly grass). And, my beet pulp has finally arrived at the feed store, so hopefully I'll be able to pick it up tomorrow. I want to try the beet pulp as a way to get more water into the horses during the winter, when they don't drink so well.

Latest posts

Back