Feed storage ideas....

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frekles93

Reaction score
[SIZE=14pt]I dont usemuch grain in the summer and I have a heck of a time keeping the weavels out of what grain I do have...... how do you keep them out? Can you buy air tight continers???[/SIZE]

April

In this heat.. I dont cover my trash cans I keep the feed door closed but it gets hot in the feed room so I dont want to put tops on the trash cans and let it get so hot in there. Seems to work for me but I dont feed sweet feed either

I haven't been at this long but I am using the plastic garbage cans and the plastic tote tubs and 2 very good mousing kitties- but I don't think we have weavels here either :lol:

I store my feed in plastic garbage cans in my feed room.

I use Purina products and today I was told that they use something in the feed to keep it from going sour in the summer months and it will stay fresh up to 3 months.

I'm new to this too, but the breeder who I got my mini's from suggested using the big metal trash cans. I haven't had any critters at all. I've seen barn rats get into the rubber maid bin's. So that is why we use metal.(But we have moved and haven't seen one barn rat here.. ) Small critters and snakes get me.. Didn't want to find anything in the horse feed...

[SIZE=14pt]I use the plastic trash cans and I still have to trow it out. I get ...well what I THINK is weavels... very tiny little bugs in the sweet feed. I also had some in my Strategy. My Mare and Matanience dosent have any and my 300 was FULL of them. And if I keepm the lids off, I get moths in them, whcih moth balls dont seem to faze...... I am going to look at Wally World and see if I can find something there......[/SIZE]

MARTY

Where can I find the stuff you are talking about???

April

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't add anything to the feed. The feed store told me that Purina and most feed manufacturers automatically add something to the feed in the summer, a preservative.

I"ve been using plastic for years. No problems. The trouble with the tin cans is that they tend to rust on the inside and that bothers me when the feed is in there rubbing on rusty aluminum.

I think you got your weevils in the feed way before you brought it home. I'll bet you anything, It was already in there especially if your feed dealer is not turing over a lot of feed, thus keeping a fresh supply in there. If you are using Purina products, complain by filling out the form on their website. Include the letters and number that you find on your bag so they can trace what mill it was made at.

I know of some people who actually use a chest type Freezer (not plugged in) to store their grain.

Thought it was a great idea, as long as there aren't any small children around!

MA

[SIZE=14pt]I wouldnt know how the weavels get in before I buy it. They are all sealed bags??? I just assume it is because I dont get it fed quick enough. There was a deal going this last week that I wish they would run in the winter.... $4 off any bag of Purina horse feed!!! I get feed through the clinic so it is a little cheaper and STILL got a bag of SR and Strategy for $12!!!! Sr alone is that much! I just couldnt buy a lot cause of the spoilage I get...[/SIZE]

April

We have always used metal trash cans (15 years and no rust, ever) and keep the lids on at all times. We always get up to 100 degrees or more each summer. I thought people sometimes open a brand new bag and find bugs???? If so, then they would be getting in there before the manufacturer bags it up. And remember, the paper bags most feed comes in won't stop much from getting to the feed if it wants to!

Latest posts

Back