Feed for Weanling

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zipper

Reaction score
I need some advice please.

If you are getting a 4.5 month foal would you give her the milk pellets for a couple weeks before she leaves her mom and then continue feeding them to her when she gets home or would you start her on straight weanling feed?

She is a good size weanling and doing well. She is eating at the grasss when I went to see her.

She will be coming here straight off her mom.

She is getting a tetnus needle is there any other needles she should have at that age.

Thanks for any help.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would put her on Purina Equine Jr for a few weeks before weaning. I would also separate her for feeding a couple times per day so shes used to eating alone. When all of that is good then wean. Ours start eating their own feed at 1.5 to 2 months old.

Please please have the farm wean her and leave her a couple weeks before you pick her up. It really lessons the stress. Foals that get weaned and moved all in one day endure a ton of stress which can make them sick.

Vaccinations depend on if her dam had shots 30 days prior to foaling. Also depends on the area of the country.

I agree with the above - a good weanling/junior feed given for a few weeks before she is weaned is ideal, plus having her weaned properly at the farm where she lives now. How far away are you from her, any journey will stress her, let alone a long one. She is a bit young for any injections, although the tet. one can be done around now, you need to ask your vet about any others once she arrives.

Most importantly, she will need company and preferably another weanling. Do you have someone that she can pal up with, play with and have general weanling fun with?

Latest posts

Back