Feed for minis

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 3234

Reaction score
I could really use some help with some nutritional decisions. Currently, I have four minis (2 mares, 2 geldings) and have been having issue finding something that meets their nutritional requirement. Where I live food get bugs quickly because of the super heated days (100 plus). I am trying Strategy Edge, but I am not a fan of sweet feed. Alot of the feed are different each time you puchase it from the feed stores.

Is there an actual feed for minis? If yes, have you had success with it.

Any suggestions? Do you mix your own.

Minis ages 19 mo, 5, 6 10. They are also feed Grass Hay.

Last edited by a moderator:
Feeding minis can truly drive a person around the bend! There are so many options and so many opinions!

My hard-keeper mare (11) gets Purina's Omolene 300 (sweet feed) and Amplify supplement feed along with an additional weight supplement from Smart-Pak. This is the combination of feed that she will consisently eat. She is so picky that she lost a lot a weight over the winter. I have heard all about the concerns regarding sweet feed, but for this horse its what works.

My younger three (2 yrs and 2 yearlings) are on Purina's Strategy Professional Formula GX. This is a pelleted feed that I moved to after the yearlings turned one (and were on the Omolene 300 too). This is working very well for us. I add nothing but probiotics to their feed, once a day.

Everybody is on pasture grass right now with some timothy/orchard grass as needed (like today...heavy rain all day, we want to keep them close to the barn, hardkeeper is stalled because she gets chilled easily).

You can do a search on the forum and will come up with dozens of posts. Including many that I started
default_smile.png

There is a mini/pony feed made by Platform, but myself and others here on the forum have not had good success with it. It was good once it came out, but then a year later something changed and I had a horse go anemic on it, he looked terrible.

I am no longer a Purina or sweet feed person. I only do pelleted feed. I currently feed Dynasty made by Kent and have very good success with it. They have a bag called Dynasty Secure and its made to feed it to everybody.

As Wingnut says, it's all over the map when I read and hear about how everyone feeds and I guess we have all experimented to see what does the trick.

We are in a 4 season part of the world and temps in the summer are 80ish and winters below zero..

In the summer our horses mainly pasture on orchard grass with a bit of white clover mixed in.

When weaning, the babies have their pasture feed supplemented with a hot mash of beet pulp, pelleted oats and Horse Krunch with some canola oil twice a day. (a small cup)

In the winter all our horses get the warm mash mixture along with a timothy alfalfa mix hay. We feed twice daily, with a handful of extra hay around 8:30 p.m. for their bedtime snack
default_yes.gif

It seems to make for healthy horses and the warm mash has made any colic or tummy issues dissappear.

I have a friend who uses the black sunflower seeds for a shiny coat and know of others using flax.

Yes feeding animals of the equine nature can be not a lot of fun.

I use ADM Patriot 14% for my mature animals with beet pulp and a top dressing of minerals (in the am).

For young stock I use ADM Jr. Glo, beet pulp and a top dressing of minerals (in the am).

At evening it is the same, except some of them get a helping of pelleted fat.

Daytime they get a grass mixture to chew on. At night they get a mix of grass and alfalfa.

I do feed flax from March-October.

How to keep feed from spoiling - if it is hot and humid, make some room in your coolest location of your place, sometimes that is in your home. I have a feed room with a cement floor that is insulated and heated during the winter, and if kept shut, during the summer stays cooler than outside.

But my farm overturns its feed on a weekly basis, so I very rarely have any spoilage. Only if the bag gets wet before I get it used, then I can see some spoilage.

I don't like to get too complicated when feeding . I'm currently using the Southern States Triple Crown 30% supplement for grass hay and pasture, (you only need about 1/2 to 2/3 cup per mini to meet vit & mineral requirements) 1 cup(5oz) alfalfa pellets, and 1/4 to 1/3 cup BOSS + grass hay. Of course loose minerals and salt too.

I don't know where you live, if you have a Southern States near, but their feed is real consistant and usually fresh. I have to special order mine and it's fresh and keeps well. They have a great website where you can look up all their feed and compare.

As stated try to keep feed in a cool dry place, I transfer mine to sealable plastic buckets and keep in the garage.

Good Luck!

I use the Strategy and have had good success with it. I transfer all the feed into storage totes when I get it, and it stays fresh, plus I have almost no mice in the barn at all.

I use Purina Strategy in the summer specifically because it is "drier" and doesn't spoil as fast as any feeds with molasses in them.

I prefer Triple Crown Complete though when it's not too hot!

Andrea

Thank you so much for all of your replies.

Is there a pre-packaged feed source that is constant and provides all the nutritional needs of adult horses? Or are there those individuals who mix their own to provide their minis nutritional needs.

I have heard a few people mention Omelene – what is this?

One of my neighbors swears by using split peas for protein along with another ingredient (forgot name) and she says it makes their coats shine.

I would really not mind mixing my own if I could just get a reliable (used by others that have had good experience) mix. Or, if I could get a pre-mix that is also well trusted.

This is all so confusing (probably self inflected)
default_wacko.png

one of the hard things about answering questions for you, is you don't tell us your location?

one of the hard things about answering questions for you, is you don't tell us your location?
Arizona - land of no grass and sticking things and hot summers but great winters

I'm sorry I guess I don't understand your question asking pre-packed feed source?

Omoloene is a feed made by Purina and they made different bags for nutritional needs of all horses (Mare/Foal, Performance, etc...) It is a sweet feed and while I fed this feed to my horses for a long time I found it to be hard on my easy keepers minis. They gained weight very easily and I'm assuming its because of the molasses. However once they had changed the formula I actually had multiple colics and one death. I can't say I blame the feed but once I switched I haven't had any colics.

I'm really not a big fan at mixing feeds. I just like to keep it simple.

I also wanted to add that the Omolene I also felt like it was never the same feed all the time. Maybe its like that with Purina I don't know, never fed anything else. I did like their complete feed (Equine Jr., Adult, Senior) and its a pelleted feed and is a good feed for horses with lack of forage.

What I like about the Kent feeds its a locked formula, meaning the formula does not change, you are guaranteed the same feed.

All of Shake's feed is prepackaged. I feed TNT Chopped Timothy Alfalfa Hay (he was on their Alfalfa-only forumla for show season, but is now on the mix), I get his supplements from SmartPak, and I feed Omolene 200. I have not found inconsistancies in the Omolene and I am very happy with my feeding program.

Okay, I see where I am not really providing enough information. Currently I have the following minis and based on a scale 1(dead) 5(good weight) 10(fat):

6 yo mare - (driving & easy keeper) scale of about 5.5

5 yo gelding (driving) not bad to keep, starved when we got him at 2, scale of 5

19 mo (avatar) almost dead now doing well, scale of 4.5

10 yo now gelding (my newest by a week) - was starved & had slipper feet - now corrected, but is now somewhat overweight (by prior owner), but should correct with turnout & correct amount of hay, scale of 6.

All are fed grass hay twice a day (morning feed together) & night in individual stall, they all get evening supplements which consist of 1/2 Strategy Edge for 6yo Mare and new 10yo gelding and full cup for 19mo & 5yo gelding, all are fed two tablespoon of split pea for extra protein. 10yo gelding also get Remission to help in losing Crest and fat & avoid possible founder.

All are turned out daily

All get physllium once a month for a week

If you are fairly new to horses and only have one or two minis, I'd stick to a well-known commercially available feed; two reasons: 1. you are new to horses, and nutrition is a highly specialized field and you don't just go mixing this and that if you don't know what you are doing, and, 2. usually custom mixes or even those you make up yourself, require more ingredients than what a couple minis would eat in a reasonable time (most feed stores/elevators that do custom mixes require you to buy a significant minimum, 1/4 to full ton at a time; and if you mix yourself, you'll still need to buy multiple 50# bags to make the mix).

So, find a commercial feed you like and try that. Most minis, especially non-working pets, really don't need much in the way of grain. Being in AZ, if good hay is hard to find, you might want to stretch what hay you can buy with a good commercial complete feed, like say Purina Adult (its a complete feed that can be fed with or without hay), there are many others, but this is one I happen to know by name. Good hay is your best bet, but if that is limited, then try a complete feed to stretch what you can get.

If you are in a big enough area, you might be able to find all bagged feeds to work for you. these days you can get bagged chopped forages, like the TNT Chops Mominis mentioned; hay cubes (alfalfa, timothy/alfalfa mix, even straight timothy - usually recommended to soak these are they are usually pretty hard and can cause choke), hay pellets, commercial grain mixes, commercial complete feeds and so much more. Its best that horses have some long-stem forage in their diet to aid in digestion, so even if you do go with a mostly bagged diet, some of the chopped forage or cubes would be beneficial to be sure they are getting that long-stem fiber. Hay or pasture is usually best, but sometimes we have to do what we have to do to be sure they get proper nutrition.

Okay, I see where I am not really providing enough information. Currently I have the following minis and based on a scale 1(dead) 5(good weight) 10(fat):

6 yo mare - (driving & easy keeper) scale of about 5.5

5 yo gelding (driving) not bad to keep, starved when we got him at 2, scale of 5

19 mo (avatar) almost dead now doing well, scale of 4.5

10 yo now gelding (my newest by a week) - was starved & had slipper feet - now corrected, but is now somewhat overweight (by prior owner), but should correct with turnout & correct amount of hay, scale of 6.

All are fed grass hay twice a day (morning feed together) & night in individual stall, they all get evening supplements which consist of 1/2 Strategy Edge for 6yo Mare and new 10yo gelding and full cup for 19mo & 5yo gelding, all are fed two tablespoon of split pea for extra protein. 10yo gelding also get Remission to help in losing Crest and fat & avoid possible founder.

All are turned out daily

All get physllium once a month for a week
Ok, so we were posting at the same time, and my previous post didn't cover your new information.

You might try a pelleted feed/supplement for them. Since you can get Purina, one of their Enrich products might work for you; Enrich is a ration balancer, basically a vit/min/protein pellet to balance the hay you feed, if extra calories are needed a plain grain (such as oats) is added. [its highly concentrated, so its fed in very small amounts. Think of it as their daily one-a-day.]

While I don't feed Purina products, I do use a ration balancer. I have 9 B-size minis, and one A-size. The B-minis on maintenance ration get 1/2# ration balancer (2/3 cup 2x daily) and grass hay. I have two hard keepers that get some senior added to their daily diet (it was quite by accident that I started using senior for extra calories for these two hard keepers, and its working quite well - I lost my senior half-Arab gelding, the week after I bought his month's supply of senior, so started adding it to the hard-keepers diets to use it up, and it works beautifully for us, so this is what I'll keep them on). And, then some individuals get necessary supplements; joint supplement for a couple, ulcer meds and daily probiotics for one, a couple were on Remission (I'm trying them without as they are doing so well with the help of a new farrier).

Oh, and fair warning so you don't get sticker shock, ration balancers tend to be expensive, but as they are fed in small amounts and typically all you need to add to the forage base of the diet, the cost per head per day is not that much.

Ok, so we were posting at the same time, and my previous post didn't cover your new information.

You might try a pelleted feed/supplement for them. Since you can get Purina, one of their Enrich products might work for you; Enrich is a ration balancer, basically a vit/min/protein pellet to balance the hay you feed, if extra calories are needed a plain grain (such as oats) is added. [its highly concentrated, so its fed in very small amounts. Think of it as their daily one-a-day.]

While I don't feed Purina products, I do use a ration balancer. I have 9 B-size minis, and one A-size. The B-minis on maintenance ration get 1/2# ration balancer (2/3 cup 2x daily) and grass hay. I have two hard keepers that get some senior added to their daily diet (it was quite by accident that I started using senior for extra calories for these two hard keepers, and its working quite well - I lost my senior half-Arab gelding, the week after I bought his month's supply of senior, so started adding it to the hard-keepers diets to use it up, and it works beautifully for us, so this is what I'll keep them on). And, then some individuals get necessary supplements; joint supplement for a couple, ulcer meds and daily probiotics for one, a couple were on Remission (I'm trying them without as they are doing so well with the help of a new farrier).

Oh, and fair warning so you don't get sticker shock, ration balancers tend to be expensive, but as they are fed in small amounts and typically all you need to add to the forage base of the diet, the cost per head per day is not that much.
Is the name of the product Purina Enrich Ration Balancer - this sounds like something I could use for all of them. Is this a sweet feed? What has been your sucess keeping for a month or so? Much appreciated to all.

I think the hardest thing I had understanding in the beginning was the "vocabulary":

Ration balancer:

It's a pelleted supplement for those who want to give their horse extra nutrients but feel they are getting the calories and fiber needed from pasture grass or hay. Purina's Ration Balancer is their "Enrich" products.

Middle Ground feed:

This pelleted feed has nutrients AND calories and is meant to a supplemental add on to a pasture/hay diet. Purina's products in this category include Strategy.

Complete feed:

This is a pelleted feed that provides ALL of the necessary nutrients, calories, etc. You would not need to add additional hay or pasture grass. Purina's complete feeds include Equine Jr., Equine Adult, Equine Sr.

Sweet feed:

Grain mixture coated with molasses that often includes additional vitamins and minerals. Purina's sweet feed products are all called Omolene. They have several variations depending on what your horse needs (i.e., Omolene 300 is for Mares and foals through weanlings).

There are dozens of other things you can add like beet pulp, weight supplements, flax seed, rice bran oil, soy oil, additional grains like oats, BOSS (sunflower seeds, I think!), etc.

Purina is just one BRAND of product. There are many other BRANDS that offer the same lines of product. To be clear, I do not work for Purina, but I use it so I'm familiar with their product line.
laugh.gif

Some people don't even feed a "grain" or "feed" during summer/warm months. They opt to give only grass/pasture and/or hay. Then they add a grain/feed during the colder months of the year. Some people build their own feed out...from the bottom up, so to speak. They want to have complete control over every ingredient going into their horses' bodies.

I like to keep things simple, especially as this is all very new to me. So, I have my easy keepers on Strategy and my hard keeper on the Omolene/Amplify combination. She gets an additional weight supplement that includes a probiotic. The easy keepers get a straight dose of probiotic once a day. It took us more than a year to come to this current plan! Keep researching...trust your instincts....you will get there in time!

ETA: Generally speaking, any thing that is *pelleted* feed is going to "keep" for an extended period of time. Think of it like a box of cereal with dried fruit like strawberries or bananas. That fruit won't "go bad" because it's been dried. But you wouldn't be able to say the same thing for a fresh strawberry or banana. It can eventually go stale, but not go "bad".

We've tried a lot of different feeds over the years, but for more than a year now I've been feeding all our horses Nutrena's Life Design Senior. I don't have to mess with mixing in flax seed or beet pulp anymore, it's easy for the horses to digest, and it mashes well for my older guys. Their coats are soft and shiny, their hooves are healthy, and the only weight maintenance issues I've had are with a couple mares that get fat on air. All the horses also get either grass or grass hay, have mineral/salt blocks, and I do still add joint supplements for some of the seniors and a fat supplement for the expecting mares when they get to their second trimester. The nutritional breakdown is here:

http://www.nutrenaworld.com/nutrena/products/horses/life-design/senior/index.jsp

Latest posts

Back