Fat mini diet help

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miniitis

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm new here and just purchased a mini a few days ago.

Now looking at her it is pretty obvious that she is too fat.

She has a dry yard but she also has access if she needs, to our backyard grassy lawn.

If I allow her on our lawn she pretty much eats it all day, so I know this is way no good for her.

So, my questions are if we keep her just in the dry yard, and being over weight as she is,

How much should I feed her? I have no idea if I'm feeding her not enough or too much?

Also if I do allow her on the lawn is that okay for her to eat and how long should she be allowed?

Thank you for any help.

Welcome to the board and the world of Minis!

Her feed should be of good quality and the same rules per pound apply to Minis that applies to the big horses. And you are sure she is not pregnant, right? lol Also, if she is obese, I would cut her back slowly and also add some mild excercise to her day- lounging or taking her for a walk, etc... then you can increase her excercise as she builds up to it over a period of a few weeks.

I'm assuming since you have grass that you live in a warm climate. Does your mini have much of a winter coat? I mention that because all the minis I know turn into fluff balls which make them look like they are fatter than they actually are- but I live in a northern climate. Because your horse is new to you (and are you new to horses or just this one?), I'd highly recommend having a vet come and look at him/her to give you feeding advice and check him over, which is always a good thing to do with a new horse. If your horse is insulin resistant grass might be dangerous. But if not, you might find that after he's had a chance to eat it for a week or two his intake will slow down. Good luck!

Good thoughts there- could be insulin resistant, low thyroid, or just too fat. If it's either of the first two, without a diagnosis and some help from your vet, etc... no diet or excercise will get them to lose weight.

Pictures would help (and we just love seeing the new ones anyway........and I am just a nosy old biddy!) Often newcomers make mistakes between fat and a big belly......not the same thing at all!!

Hi and welcome! Yes pictures would be great - really necessary if we are to give you the help you are asking for. Please remember that even minis need some extra flesh on them at this time of year if you are in a cold winter climate and they are out in the elements. Also minis, like all horses need to trickle feed rather than bulk feed with long gaps between feeds, so when she is on her dry area, are you making sure that she has a supply of hay to nibble at as just grazing your lawn area during the day time will not be sfficient for her. How big is your lawn area - and your dry area too? Could you also please give us her age and height.

As has been said, you would be advised to give your vet a call so that he/she can give your girl the once over, just to make sure that she is just fat and to rule out any possible medical cause, plus they will be able to tell you about any immunisations etc that might be needed for your area.

Good luck and please keep the questions coming - we are here to help if we can.
default_yes.gif

Okay, yes I'm new to minis but I've had two regular sized horses in the past. Now measuring her heart girth she measures 45" around. She is almost 2.5 years old and she is almost 33" in height. I worked out that she is weighing 267.03 lbs or 121 kg.

I was thinking she should lose maybe 30kg? Making her ideal weight. 200 lbs or 90kg. Does that sound about right for her size? In a years time I would like to start her with driving.

Now if she is to get 2 percent of her ideal weight in feed per day that makes her get

900 grams of feed twice daily equals 1.8 kg per day or (3 lbs and 15 oz)

That seems an awful lot to me in hay and lucerne when I measure it out??

Is this the amount if she were in a dry yard all day with no grazing or should she get this amount plus 1 or 2 hours grazing on lawn?

Maybe my formula is wrong?

Anyone who has any informative info would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Her weight sounds just about right for this time of year for a horse that size. Losing 30kgs would be WAY too much, IMO, and my horses get ad lib hay, no limits. They tend to eat a bit more the first three days and it can be alarming if you are not used to it but then they slow right down and, in fact, eat less in the long run. I never weigh hay or feed, I feed by eye. If the horse looks right the chances are it is. There is still every chance that your horse actually needs more, not less, protein as the weight given is really not that high.

I agree with Rabbitsfzz entirely. That weight does not sound overweight to me on a 33'' horse.

I wish you the best of fun with your new mini. .......a word of warning.......be careful not to end up with a whole paddock full of them.

Before trying to figure out what her ideal weight should be, I would look at this--what does she FEEL like? That is, if you run your hand along her side, can you feel ribs? To feel ribs, does it take just a light touch, do you have to press a little bit? Do you have to press very firmly? Are you pressing really hard and still feeling no ribs, all you feel is a cushy layer of fat? Is she well rounded over the topline? What is her neck like? Quite thin, or a bit thickish? Almost cresty?

How is she builtreally fine boned? Or is she more substancial, with solid bone?

Sorry, Im just having a really hard time seeing her as 65 lbs overweight now. You see 3 lbs 15 oz as an awful lot of feed; I see it as a pathetically tiny bit of feed. LOL My smallest Mini is 33 and not a big built fellow, and he still gets a lot more than 3 lbs of hay per day. A lot more.

Hmm.. Interesting.

Okay when I go to feel her ribs you can feel them slightly if you are pressing down firmly. In saying this, It is summer here in Australia but with the on and off weather patterns we have had she still doesn't have a full summer coat. I don't think she is really finely boned either. Her neck is looking good.

The reason I thought for her to lose 30 kg was because looking up internet sites I found the ideal weight for a miniature stated that they should be 200 lbs. maybe that is for a smaller mini? And because she has a belly at the sides.

It's hard as my previous full grown horses were always needing fattening up! now I've got a mini that is not skinny at all. I would post photos but I just can't seem to get one that shows exactly what I'm seeing.

Now with her grazing the lawn grass for too long is that because it's high in sugars?

Also one other question, is it okay to feed her wheaten chaff and pellets every couple of days instead of the hay in the evening? And how much would I give? Thanks everyone.

This is my smallest mini, he's 31" tall and 175# on the scale:
Summer picture from 3 years ago:
Che` - July 22, 2010.jpg
Here he is April this year, same weight plus tons of hair:
Che` - april 22, 2013 - woolie.jpg

He gets 1.5# senior feed daily and 2-3# chopped hay (he's in his late teens, so needs a bit of senior feed).

Here is my chunky 32.5" mare, she was supposed to be pregnant, so being fed as such
Baybe - May 17, 2013 - side.jpg
She weighed 350# on scale shortly after this picture.

Here she is later in the summer, looking a bit better, I didn't get her weight
Baybe - Aug 22, 2013 - frontish.jpg

Most of the rest of my minis are 35-38" tall and weigh from 300-390#, just depends on their build. [Right now none of these are excessively over weight; just right for mid-winter in Montana.]

This spring (May) I weighed my yearlings; the oldest was 200#, the youngest 150#; they are all expected to Mature B-size (I didn't get a height at the same time I got a weight, but they were all 33-34" tall in August).

Chandab, thanks for the pics. This helps.

The first pic is how I would like her to look and the 3rd pic is definetely heavier than she looks now. The last pic is probably close to her now.

So, I'm thinking as she is a little taller than yours 200 lbs weight would be correct for her?

The reason I thought for her to lose 30 kg was because looking up internet sites I found the ideal weight for a miniature stated that they should be 200 lbs. maybe that is for a smaller mini?

You really can't go by that information, you have to go by your horse.They are all different and have different requirements according to life style, conformation, size, bone structure, metabolism, and exercise, and type of housing/shelter/pastures/dry lots you provide. Best thing to do is to post a picture. Tie her up so her head is not on the ground and take a couple of good profile shots.

You are wise to learn about the sugars in the grass but keep in mind horses are grazers and that is what they need to do. I provide hay often year round.

Rabbit, my old stallion , was 28" and weighed between 105-120 kgs. He was in show condition and winning everything in the ring at the time. He never weighed less than 95kgs. Your weights are way off and you will end up with a very unhappy horse if yo try to impose them. It would still be helpful to have photos of her as she is now....

Might not always be the case, but with my minis, I've found the mares to carry more weight at the same height than the stallions do. My almost 36" stallion weighed 300# last summer, and looked really good; and, two about 36" mares weighed 330# and 340#, neither were overly chubby. [And it depends on the gelding around here. I have one that tends to be thinner @ 350# and one a bit chunky at about 385#; both are about 37" tall.]

A lot depends on the type of mini. Most of those you see on American sites are miniature horses and are very fine, slender, small boned (get the picture) and in show condition. Many minis here in Australia are miniature ponies and are much more chunky and solid (repeating myself here). Most of mine are like that and 120kg for a 33" pony is not fat and if some of my puddings were so trim I would be very pleased.

Where are you?

I would give her 1-2 hours on grass and a flake of hay in her drylot. Of course fresh water and a mineral block. Then watch her and adjust as needed.

Helicopter - I am in south Australia. Hi fellow Aussie:) yes I think everyone is right the more I read from you guys and more I look at her I think she's just the nice right size. I think I'm just not used to seeing a little belly, as my full sized horses were all skinny and had no bellies at all and needed fattening up. So I'm adjusting to the look I guess.

TAB - thanks for your info, this is what I have been doing exactly.

I have also been thinking about keeping her at a nearby paddoch instead of my backyard. If she is to be in the paddoch with the dry summer grasses, would I still feed her the hay or would the pasture be more than enough?

If you get her on an exercise program, her tummy will tighten up. My minis probably go 250 lbs on avg. I always used to keep mine on a strict feed program, but they just seem to do best as close to nature as possible.

Latest posts

Back