False Advertising

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohmt

Reaction score
Have seen a lot of people this past year advertising 2011/2012 AMHR only registered foals as "AMHA papers possible". Most are small AMHR/ASPC with at least 1 "B" parent which means progeny hardshipping can not happen. AMHA closes its books next year and in order to hardship, the horse must be 3 yrs or older so those 2011 and 2012 foals can not be hardshipped unless their sire and/or dam are. I send emails to the ones I do come across and they are usually honest mistakes (though one person in particular is aware and still continues to advertise that hardshipping is possible). Buyers, please be aware. Wanted to let the "newbies" know just in case and if you come across someone advertising as such, let them know too. Most of them appreciate it. Take care everyone! -Amanda

I see that all the time on Craigslist. Drives me crazy.

Plus, I've been on other websites/forums/blogs where people tout you can hardship a 34-38" horse into AMHR. Um, NO YOU CAN'T. It's closed to anything other than AMHA or ASPC or Fallabella registered animals. And it's BEEN closed for years, so it's not like it's some new rule. If you're gonna educate other people on our wonderful breed, please make SURE you have the facts straight!

I see it a lot. What drives me batty - people advertising on 'application' and they are way over 1 year old or acceptable age. COME ON PPL - register the darn animal or sell it as a pet.

The sad thing to me is that it always the "newbie" buyers or people really wanting a miniature horse, who get trapped in this false advertising. Then when they try to register or find out what they need to do...........they are the ones who are left hanging with a horse they may like but then realize they can't show or breed them.

Seems like there are so many unscrupulous sellers out there wanting to push horses off on someone else with no thought of the future for the horses or the buyers.

I see it a lot. What drives me batty - people advertising on 'application' and they are way over 1 year old or acceptable age. COME ON PPL - register the darn animal or sell it as a pet.
I saw a very pretty mare being sold with applications- she was nine years old! Try to get THAT one registered! I know the hassle I had trying to get a 3YO registered once. NEVER again.

Well that's why it pays to do your homework when you're new at something. This world is full of buyer beware
default_sad.png

I just sold a AMHR mare and since this young girl is new I made copies of the papers for her and am sending the original in & paying for it so she can get it reg. in her name. That way I am sure it gets done.

The other fun one is buying a horse on application then finding the parents have not been DNA'd and the seller no longer owns them....got caught on this one three times...you'd think I'd learn...and ended up with some really nice and well bred grade minis I had to sell as pets.

These are all good points, but the one that gets me is AMHA/AMHR registered, then the measurment says 35 inches! That makes the AMHA papers null and void!

Or, getting a horse with an application, and no bill of sale.

I am very new to this. I miss placed my horses papers all were in a folder I didn't transfer them yet into my name. since found the folder is it hard to get them registered into my name? if so why do they make it hard. it's not hard to register dogs even after 1 yr as long as akc gets their money. I know I should have transferred them into my name as son as I got them but was going through a lot of personal things so it was the last thing on my mind. now I would like to get it done now that I finally found the folder it seems to be complicated asi tried to find instructions on the sites

Thanks Amanda, so much for posting this! Very valuable info!

Susan O.

I am very new to this. I miss placed my horses papers all were in a folder I didn't transfer them yet into my name. since found the folder is it hard to get them registered into my name? if so why do they make it hard. it's not hard to register dogs even after 1 yr as long as akc gets their money. I know I should have transferred them into my name as son as I got them but was going through a lot of personal things so it was the last thing on my mind. now I would like to get it done now that I finally found the folder it seems to be complicated asi tried to find instructions on the sites
If its just transfers (they already have papers) it shouldn't be too hard, and you'll have to pay late fees. If they are now over 3 years old, you'll also have to update from temporary to permanent papers, for which there is a fee. They'll probably all need pics for the transfers, as well. When in doubt contact the appropriate registry and someone will help you out.

thank you one more question what is the difference between amha, amhr, wmhr? is one better then the other? thanks

thank you one more question what is the difference between amha, amhr, wmhr? is one better then the other? thanks
AMHA and AMHR are the two most reputable miniature registries in the US. [i know little about the third other than its as reputable as the other two, and many feel their papers are worthless.]

AMHA registers horses under 34" tall. AMHR registers horses under 38" tall. Both are very good registries, so it depends on height of horse mostly as to which you might prefer; and also perhaps location of shows if you want to show. I know there is probably more to it, and others will probably give more details.

Your papers will be AMHA or AMHR, or both. You can't just choose to do one registry if your papers say the other. It is rather expensive, as you have to be a member, but if you ever plan to show, sell, or breed you should seriously consider investing in the registrations. The offices of both are fantastically helpful! Call and chat with your questions and they will walk you through it all.

Kudos to you for making the effort to get your horses' papers in order! I believe it is important to do that, even if one does not "plan" to do anything but have a pet. Life can make some changes and our horses will have a better chance if their papers are in order. And the more you know about how the process works, you will be able to help others act knowledgeably.

As an aside, if you purchase a horse from a sale barn, be sure to look through the papers BEFORE you pay. I have known at least 2 cases where the transfer/registration didn't match. Or there was no transfer with the sale. Don't even pay until the sale barn can get that straightened out. It is a can of worms later.

Currently AMHR has a half price sale on hardshipping miniatures into the AMHR registry, just an fyi.....

Just want to elaborate on what muffntuff said. The half price hardshipping sale is for AMHA, ASPC, FBR registered horses only

Marsha, want to correct something you stated about buying from Sale Barns.

It is not the "Sale Barns" problem to striaighten out the paperwork. The "SALE BARN" is only an 'AGENT' between seller and buyer and any registration problem is between them not the sales barn. Please read your TERMS AND CONDITIONS that is provided at the sale.

Terms are usually at minimum: 1) Sale is "as is were is", no warranties expresssed or implied. 2) Sales Barn is acting as agent to bring BUYER and SELLER together, sales barn is not responsible for any errors, omission, or incorrect information. 3) Catalogue contains information that is correct to the best of the Sales Management's knowledge with infomation provided by Seller, but announcements at the sale with the LOT are the most current information. 4) Sales are FINAL and any issues concerning the sale are to be resolved between BUYER and SELLER, Sales Management, employees, and agents are held "harmless" from recourse.

If you attend "SALES" be sure that you read and understand ALL the TERMS AND CONDITIONS stated in the front of the catalogue. If there are no Terms and Conditions in the Sales Information, go to the Sale's office and be sure you understand what those are before you purchase.

You are correct in going to the office and looking at the paperwork on any "LOT" that you are interested in and making sure you are happy with what paperwork is in the packet--otherwise contact the seller who is probably on the premisis and talk to them.

I ran in to something like this just recently on a sale that was also broadcast "ONLINE"-- I was an 'online' buyer. Purchased the horse based on what was in the catalogue--I did not contact the seller prior to sale and come to find out the horse was not sustained in the futurity as stated in the catalogue. The consignor offered to purchase the horse back as it was their "oversight" as the horse had been nominated but had fallen through the cracks and not been sustained. I kept the horse as he is going to be a wonderful driver--just missed out on the Futurity--Completely my fault as I did not contact the BUYER prior to sale for complete and accurate information.

Please don't blame the "SALES BARN" for paperwork problems--they can only provide the BUYER the paperwork the SELLER provides. Some Auctions have even gone as far as to say if a horse is selling "ON APPLICATION" the horse is selling as "Unregistered or GRADE". Most of them do a great job and do the best they can to make the experience "GOOD" for everyone involved.

I've written catalogues for many a SALE and I do all the "stud book" research on the consigned LOTS. Sometimes horses are both A &R Registered but the consignor only decides to sell with one set of papers--this is not the SALES MANAGEMENT's problem to ask for the other paperwork. Also mare may have been "EXPOSED" to a stallion but that does not mean there will be a breeder's certificate in that packet.

Bottom line -- if you are new and getting your first Miniature, ask someone that you know who has Minis to go with you, they can help you make sure all paperwork is in order before you purchase--ask to see the paperwork on the horse you are interested in. MOST BREEDERS and SELLERS are wonderful people and will bend over backwards to be sure your paperwork is in order and most will even help you send in the paperwork.

Sorry, did not mean to get on my soapbox concerning SALES/AUCTIONS but I hear this all the time that it is the SALES BARNS responsibility when IN FACT it is not.

Even if these 2011/2012 foals could be hardshiped I don’t think advertising eligibility is a great selling point because of the high cost to hardship into the AMHA. In fact if I see that they aren’t already AMHA or if there papers aren’t UTD, then I don’t look twice. I’ll be sure to keep newbies way from an ad like that J

After reading some other peoples experiences I bought a stallion once with an AMHA/AMHR applications and come to find out the stallions dam died before she was DNA’d so I lost those papers L

Latest posts

Back