Failing Weight Loss

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KanoasDestiny

Reaction score
I didn't want to hijack Dragon's thread but I was curious...what do you personally feel is your biggest reason for failing at weightloss?

For me, I LOVE food. Eating is a comfort for me, and I could easily skip meals and be happy snacking all day. I also hate sweating, so exercising is fun until I hit the point that really starts to matter. I imagine my portion sizes are too large although I dont use typical 10" dinner plates and I never go back for seconds. So too little activity and too many calories are definately my biggest downfall.

When it comes to dieting, I refuse to stop eating the foods I love. My husband makes that nearly impossible, even if I wanted to. I don't think people should have to deprive themselves of sugar, bread, meat, etc. That seems like a recipe for failure. Moderation seems much better to me, if only I could stick to it.

Well, well, well, I too love to eat, and love to cook, as I have a big family to cook for. When I was riding I had to learn to eat in moderation to keep my weight down, so I wouldn't break my poor horse! HAHA. I eat dinner on a little saucer, rarly is the time I eat on a big girl plate. Dinner is what always gets me, I eat a small breakfast, either a little cereal or two pieces of wheat toast or a couple of hard boiled eggs. Lunch is usually left overs from the dinner before, on a saucer. Since I'm older and have had five babies, I have a huge middle, seems like nothing will make it go away. We grow our own veggies, and I eat a lot of veggies, but I have a problem in the fact that I also like to use cheese sauces, white sauces, whatever to add to the veggies. I do like to sautee veggies in olive oil and garlic, yum. I try to limit my pasta, sugar and anything white, but since we also grow potatoes sometimes that is hard. I get enough exercise on the farm. Seems like I walk for miles everyday, not to mention carrying hay and buckets. Really now that I'm a senior and no longer riding I really don't worry about it so much, I just accept the fact that I am what I am.

well my biggest reason is that I love to eat and I love to cook...i love to eat while I cook! I love butter and potatoes and macaroni. I've always been big...even when I was thin (and I've been thin many, many times) lol!! but I was still big I'm tall and big boned. I have never had a problem losing weight I just can't keep it off and the older I get the less I care to try...however i am now noticing that there are some things I can no longer do comfortably so i do wish I could get some of it off. I just do not see myself making a huge life change at this age and I know that's what it would take.

Stress is my problem! Food is my faithful friend when my anxiety and stress gets bad. If I could have a year without anxiety I could be thin!!
default_smile.png

Definitely stress for me! Food is my addiction - I don't smoke or drink, but I like to eat! I'm an emotional eater - I eat when I'm happy, sad, angry, bored, tired - you get the picture! I love to cook, and I love to eat out.

I will be 39 this year and I feel like I have "wasted" a decade wishing I wasn't as heavy as I am. I am bound and determined to not start my next decade of life feeling this way!

I'm trying to use my daughter as motivation. She is so active and wants to do so many things, but sometimes she just can't because she only has "half a heart." But that doesn't stop her from trying! As she gets older, she is finding that she just can't be as active as a lot of her friends. She loves playing basketball, but she also has to watch that she doesn't over do it. And here I sit on my butt with no excuse why I'm not exercising and keeping my heart healthy. I'm committed to changing these things!

Barbara

Snacks are my downfall....I tend to snack without even thinking about it. And I also don't exercise enough.

Lois

It is so hard! I think we women are pre-programmed to think about food A LOT!

For me personally, I cannot plan anything without a lot of time spent thinking about what are we going to eat, where are we going to eat, etc. I love to eat! I come by it naturally because I can remember growing up and Mom telling my sister and I in flowing detail about what she and Dad had eaten on special evenings out. However, much as she loves food, she is about a size 2 and I am NOT. Ever...

Even thinking about books -- if they are written by a woman from a female's perspective, usually a lot of detail is put into the food that is eaten. I swear, it is in our programming.

My most recent hobby is cooking and that's not so much of a good thing. I've always loved to eat but it's only a year or so since I have really enjoyed cooking. I try to reduce the fat and calories but still... It's a crazy, crazy amount of time that I spend thinking about food... When I diet, I swear, it is even worse!

PS -- I think one reason I really enjoy those Doomsday Prepper types of shows is that I really, really like imagining having a few years worth of food on hand. I am really hopeless LOL
default_eat.gif

Fluffy girls... We should all do what we can to be healthy, and this is a great place to check out for clothes that you will look and feel fabulous in even if you are not a tee-tiny teenager. If you think you're interested, sign up for emails TODAY as in the past, they have had huge sitewide sales to the tune of like 50% off on Christmas or the day after. I love most of their empire waist dresses and their "slimming tunic" is the bomb! It looks great with jeans and thye've got a great selection of those as well. I have lost weight over the past year, but still, the clothes I get from this place are so reasonably priced, fashionable and you feel great in them. Highly recommended. I think some of us are not ever going to be a size TWO, myself included, and this is a great resource of clothes you look forward to wearing.

www.onestopplus.com

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh man, I thought I was the only one who obsessed over food. As soon as I think of something that sounds good to eat, I crave it until I get up and eat just a 'little' of it. That would be fine if I only thought of something once in a while, but I think of food constantly. I used to be an extremely stressed out person, so food was always that way to soothe my feelings. But now that I'm pretty calm, I haven't been able to break that habit of 'needing' food. I was never raised to eat healthy. I hate eating fruit, I'm much more of a cooked veggie person, which of course doesnt help because I can't just grab an apple and be happy.

I am so jealous of skinny people who never have to worry about eating too much. My cousin tried to gain weight a few years ago and was consuming 4000+ calories a day. He actually lost weight because his metabolism is just so high that the constant food kept his metabolism going full speed. I just smell food and I gain weight.
default_sad.png

I am so jealous of skinny people who never have to worry about eating too much. My cousin tried to gain weight a few years ago and was consuming 4000+ calories a day. He actually lost weight because his metabolism is just so high that the constant food kept his metabolism going full speed. I just smell food and I gain weight.
default_sad.png
Plus its not fair that in general men have an easier time of losing weight (not all, but in general).

I too think of food way too much. I eat breakfast, we head to town (60 miles) and we don't get 10 miles down the road and I'm asking where are we having lunch (even though we are 50 miles from town, yet) and its only 9am, so still 3 hours til lunch time.
default_eat.gif

That's so true Chanda. When we were little, I'd eat two pieces of cinnamon toast, and he'd eat anywhere from 8-12 pieces. I'm obese and he's tall and skinny. :/

Even my husband can lose five pounds by the time I lose one, and the same is true for gaining weight, I can gain five while he only gains one.

I LOVE TO EAT =) So I eat healthy/non fatty foods--not diet--just not fast food all the time and stuff. Every time I get hungry, I eat, every time I get full, I immediatly stop eating. I stay away from sugar like alot of candy and I stopped drinking pop too. going on a half hour walk a day helps alot and I don't sweat. I ride every day and once my horse was sick for 3 weeks and I wasn't able to ride her, so I gained three pounds! Once I started riding her again I lost 3 pounds :p

I'm fat not because of what I eat....its what I drink: PEPSI.

If I get off Pepsi, I have lost 20 to 30 pounds that first month. I've done it many times before and then I just go right back to it. I can down a 2 liter a day easy. I just don't like anything else to drink although the cabinets are stocked with a lot of other alternatives. Pepsi is my problem, not food.

One of (not the only by any means!!) my issues is from childhood...the old "you can't leave 'til you clean your plate" refrain. By being forced to eat everything that was given to me (and I remember quite a few times of falling asleep at dinner with brussel sprouts on the plate, waking up in the morning and eating this before I went to school), I now find it EXTREMELY difficult to leave anything on the plate even when I'm full. I also find it hard to put leftovers into the fridge, I just feel that everything must be eaten NOW. The only exception to this is Holiday meals.

I'm so obsessive about this, I've even found myself hiding from family members so that I can eat without being watched. I work on changing this, yet it's never really comfortable for me.

" quite a few times of falling asleep at dinner with brussel sprouts on the plate, waking up in the morning and eating this before I went to school)"

OMG !!! thats awful !

supaspot you should have slipped them over to my plate- those are my favorite, lol

that was a quote from Dragons Wish , I dont mind brussel sprouts at all
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back