What's for Christmas dinner?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

REO

Reaction score
Tell us all about it!
default_smile.png

Since it's just me & Karrel and our families are 1500 miles away, we just have whatever we feel like (well within reason!) One year we had tacos!
default_thumbup.gif

3 years ago I realized something........NOT that I get invited to any parties LOL, but even if I am, I'm too shy to enjoy a snack table. So I decided I'll make my own snack table and pig out all I want!

We can't afford anything fancy but it's still yummy!

I lay it all out on nice plates just as if it were for a party & we put on Rudolph or something on TV and enjoy it as our Christmas meal!

Deviled eggs

Cauliflower & onion dip

chips & dip!

salami and cheese & crackers

pickles, olives.

cookies

apple tart or banana nut bread

tuna sandwiches (cut in 1/4s)

Champagne!

That's awesome! We are having similar with the addition of chili to go with the cheese and crackers, veggies and dip, cookies, and banana nut brandy bread - wine is red.

Sometimes I am a slow learner ( I think I heard a pony just fall down in the barn laughing...) and it finally occurred that a full meal with all of the trimmings is really not necessary - even though I certainly enjoy eating it!

Have a wonderful Christmas and very Happy New Year

Cheers!

Yes it's fun enjoying a fun spread like that once a year! There's always plenty to snack on for days afterward LOL

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!

I go to my niece's home for dinner.The older 1 turned 50 this past JUly(she has Christmas and her 48 yr old sister has Thanksgiving)their grandmother who is my sister's ex mother in law will be there from the nursing home.She is an awesome lady at 100 years and 9 months of age-mentally still sharp..Same menu as Thanksgiving since we all love it so much.The hostess cooks the turkey and a few other things.,stuffing made with dried cranberries. I make a sweet potato casserole, mac&cheese, green bean cassarole and bought sweet potato biscuits.Someone else makes mashed potatoes,baked pineapple salad &my non cooking brother brings cole slaw. Ialso added a new cold salad that has cranberries, green grapes, marshmallows, cool whip,pecans and pineapple.Hope it tastes good-it should be festive being red, white and green.I also makes my mom's recipe- jello cranberry salad that has cranberries, celery, nuts and pineapple.deserts are varied I made a ginger snap and pudding layered desert that was a hit at Thanksgiving so I repeated it.We always have lots of leftovers so everyone takes home a doggie bag for the next day.My son and granddaughter won't go so I see them earlier in the day.I love my nieces and wish they were my daughters.Just hope their wacky parents and step mother are on good behavior on the big day. You never know with those 3.I will have a great time.I always do when I visit them. Hope everyone has a nice day.

A la "Christmas Story", We usually go to a Chinese buffet restaurant. (no duck!) Or we go to the movies and eat popcorn. They are the only things open on Christmas day! We do/did the family thing on Xmas eve at the BILs house. Same menu as Thanksgiving but with a ham added.

I'm alone this year, as my hubby went to PA for a surprise visit with his mom. It was sorta a last minute thing and I elected to stay home and take care of all our four legged children. Some friends would not hear that I would be here by myself so they will be dragging me to their house (oh, the horror...LOL). We decided to have dinner way outside of the box. I've been marinating some chicken breasts in chipotle pepper marinate and we'll throw them on the grill and make grilled chicken sandwiches. I'm just about turkeyey out from Thanksgiving. I've spent many Christmas days alone so I'm good with it, but my friends simply couldn't stand the thought. Nice to have friends.

We are having the traditional...ham, scallop potatoes, beans, broccoli salad, sweat rolls. I am making a bacon/onion/cheese dip to snack on with crackers. Not doing desert, I made so much candy the other day, we will just have that. Merry Christmas everyone!

Ham, fancy potatoes, cranberries, not sure yet what for a veggie, and mince pie for dessert. I love the big traditional sort of dinner!!

We always had turkey dinner but got tired if turkey--so now it is ham.

Just my mon, me, and the cats and dogs!

Gosh, everybody's sounds good! We were at my sister's last night. The hostess for Thanksgiving or Christmas does the meat, potatoes and whatever else they choose. The rest of us bring requested items. I always have dibs on desserts as I love to bake. Last night we had turkey ("again", I thought. But it was very good); BBQ ribs, mashed potatoes and gravy, stuffing, scalloped corn, small ears of corn on the cob, green beans, rolls, 'rice fluff' (orange jello, mandarin oranges, rice, and whipped cream); relish tray and dips; and I brought goodies-pumpkin pie and Redi Whip cream (the 3 kids finished it off by doing the 'open mouth wide and squirt it in' routine-good thing I got the can free with a pie I purchased - ran out of baking time); lemon meringue pie, and a tray full of frosted sugar cookie cutouts, peanut blossom cookies (the one that have a Hershey's Kiss in the center), Hershey's chocolate snowballs, mini cherry cheescakes, peanut butter balls and my husband made his yummy fudge. I would have had some lemon m. pie to bring home-but I dropped it on the floor when I took it out of the 'fridge to take it back home!

My son and the family and my Mother and her fellow came over for more gifts today. I had a simple lunch laid out. Cold cuts, cheeses, small rolls, crackers, chips, dip, relishes, fruit salad and leftover cookies and fudge. Ginger ale and strawberry lemonade. My new grand daughter brought leftover lemon cake (hmmmmmmm, must have made up for the dropped pie!). And the minis got carrots!

Did the annual dinner at my cousin's. Last night was cubed chunks of steak marinated and grilled, twice baked potatos, ceasar salad. Today was Honey baked ham, scalloped potatoes, WONDERFUL green beans, many layered jello, THE family gingerbread cookies (they are taking the reins in cookie land, these are epic, I do them too).

This was in Michigan, we go home to Ohio tomorrow, back to reality.

I made a pork tenderloin recipe in the crock pot and it turned out better than anything I've ever made before! So good and just super easy, too. I made mashed sweet potatoes, corn (from frozen) and green bean casserole with the green beans being from frozen vs canned so, for once, it tasted good to me ☺

If anyone is looking for an amazing but takes only 5mins to prep pork recipe, this is the one I used. I first had it when my mom made it. I did use diced onion, vs shallots, as did my mom. I know that substitution doesn't work for every recipe but it was great and on hand for this recipe.

LINK: http://www.whiskingmama.com/the-best-crock-pot-pork-tenderloin/#sthash.wRWngAzB.dpbs

We made dinner for all the farm help Wednesday - Hispanics included of course! We had homegrown ham, steamed vegetables, maple whiskey bacon gouda Mac n cheese (my signature dish!) apple pie, and truffles. Was soooooo good!

For Christmas Day we had turkey over at my aunts!

We had the traditional turkey with my homemade stuffing with pecans, ham, yams with marshmallows, raw cranberry/orange relish, green bean casserole (made with frozen green beans! NEVER canned! LOL), pumpkin and apple pie.....

PS: I sure like YOUR idea, Robin!!!! That sounds perfect!!!!

Latest posts

Back