Finally feel frumpy enough to do something about it

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great news Vickie, keep up the good work. Unfortunately, I gained back part of the weight I lost this spring. I fell back into some bad habits, which I'm working on kicking, but its hard.

I tested myself today for candida (yeast overload in the gut). It can cause weight gain and for some time I suspected that I might have it from years and years of eating sugary foods and being on an antibiotic for a lengthy time (I had chronic cystitis years ago). Anyway the simple test I did this morning showed significant candida. Not overload, but significant. Likely the fact that I almost never use sugar helps. So now I have a new diet. No cheese, no fruit, no wine, and no to way too many other things. Oh boohoo! This is sure not how I want to lose weight. I want my mushrooms back! Anyway, today I picked up different things that are recommended to aid in the war on my gut. I bought kefir, a cleanse supplement, acidophilus, and some teas (peppermint, ginger, and licorice). This ain't fun.

Congrats on getting started Vickie! Starting is the hardest thing, when you are actually dieting it is much easier. I wish you much success and can't wait to hear how it's going.
default_smile.png
Well, SampleMM I have to say this was surely most encouraging and just want to thank you for pointing out to me that starting is the hardest. There is no telling how many times before I told myself that I needed to figure out what to do to lose some pounds. Thinking about and doing it are two different things. Once I was committed it was fairly easy.

Now (3 months since I began doing something about the weight I had gained) I can happily report that I am 15 pounds lighter. I am wearing clothes that used to be too tight and on the rare occasion I buy something new it is a size smaller than what I used to wear.

But more importantly than improving my looks I have improved the way I feel.
default_yes.gif
So actually the weight gain was a blessing in disguise. Had I stayed the skinny person I was for half a century I would have always eaten my share of processed food, sugary food, and fast food. Being skinny is not good if you are not treating your body well with what goes into it. Now that I have lost weight I will continue to explore ways to treat my body well. Next step (after completing the candida cleanse) will be getting rid of the hormone replacement therapy prescriptions I take. I am already arming my arsenal for that.
default_xbud.gif

Also happy to report that I am caffeine free. I had not done sodas in years but I am finally done with getting caffeine from tea and coffee. The coffee I have in the mornings now is actually good for me. It is a blend of Mediterranean herbs, grains, fruits, and nuts that are roasted and ground to brew and taste like coffee. Also I have found so many herbal teas that I just love to have a cup of. Right now I have a jug of plain decaff tea sun brewing for our tea for the weekend.

I just want to say if anyone has been thinking about improving weight/health you can do it once you decide and commit. Nutrition is key. Don't starve yourself and think you are going to lose weight.

Latest posts

Back