Fabric Post Cards

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charley

Reaction score
I am getting ready to start my first attempt at a fabric postcard. Have any of you made any of these? Would love to hear of your thoughts on them.

Lois

Do you use the adhesive postcard backs? I have some of those I use for photographs, but I never thought of attaching fabric. Keep us posted on your results!

My Wednesday Group is meeting this week at my house to make Dresden-style Valentines.

This is the first time making one. I will use card stock on the back and a spray adhesive and it gets sewn also. I got side tracked today and didn't really get started. I did sort through material and picked some out to use. Hoping tomorrow to get started sewing. It shouldn't take long unless I don't like what I do. Then it could take all week…lol
default_whistling.gif

Marsha, would love to see your Dresden-style Valentine. Bet that they came out very pretty.

I am hoping to finish the postcard this weekend. I just need to put the layers together and bind it.

Marsha, would love to see your Dresden-style Valentine. Bet that they came out very pretty.

I am hoping to finish the postcard this weekend. I just need to put the layers together and bind it.
I made 3 ornaments.

Do not remember if I told about my gunny sack pillow case here. Do not wash those in your home washer/dryer!! What a mess. I do like the way it turned out. I'll try for a picture.

Here is one ornament. The bird is a German diecut. Vintage crepe paper. We had such a good time working on our projects.

valentine ornament.jpg

So interesting, especially the bird and words…love the buttons and the pins in your setting. Simply perfect, everything is just right!

Last edited by a moderator:
I made 3 ornaments.

Do not remember if I told about my gunny sack pillow case here. Do not wash those in your home washer/dryer!! What a mess. I do like the way it turned out. I'll try for a picture.

Here is one ornament. The bird is a German diecut. Vintage crepe paper. We had such a good time working on our projects.
That's so pretty! Is it in some kind of box? Looking closely at it , that's what it looks like. The whole scene is sweet. The chair, buttons, pins and thread... Love it.

Yes, it is a box. I like to make small boxes into vignettes. This one has a turned knob on top, so it's a good place to hang an ornament. I think the little tin chair was made by WW I soldiers recovering in hospitals. It was done as therapy. Probably they were also sold to earn money for the soldiers.

How are the fabric post cards coming? Waiting for pictorial results, please!

Here is my burlap pillow.

http://www.cassphoto.com/burlapflowers.jpg

http://www.cassphoto.com/burlapbuttons.jpg

If you take my advice, you will never launder a gunny sack in your washer/dryer. What a mess.

Love the burlap with buttons photo. I can't see the flowers photo. Looks very nice!

I finished the postcard.

Postcard1-1.jpg

Postcard2.jpg

The house came out larger than I planned and I had trouble with the binding. I didn't take photos along the way as I was not sure that I was doing anything right. As usual I did it my way. I did figure out a few things … like to quilt it (which I didn't do) before sewing on any embellishments and that I can sew card stock on my sewing machine. I used basting spray to hold it together to put the binding on and think maybe I should have used a more permanent adhesive. But for my first attempt, I like it. I also learned how to use fonts on my embroidery machine but then decided since the house came out larger than I expected to leave the lettering off. I used a button for the sun (found out I have very few yellow buttons) used beads as the apples in the tree and a tiny bead for the doorknob.

It turned out so cute, Lois, love it. If you didn't know all ready; sewing through the card stock will dull your needle quicker than just fabric.

An applique post card!! I wasn't sure what you had in mind. Fantastic! What a lot of detail. The barn fabric is perfect. Now I'm inspired, as I love to work on small scale things.

Thank you for your kind comments.

I didn't think about it dulling the needle but that does make sense. The adhesives also usually gum the needle up. My needle is toast! Glad that I have more.

I did piece the house and then appliquéd it to the fabric and the tree is all appliqued. I just figured it would be easier to piece it and then appliqué it. I was going to embroider the lines of piecing in the house but then decided it might break it up too much. Will have to experiment with that sometime. Right now I am going back to finishing piecing some quilt tops in great big pieces!

For tutorials, just google fabric postcard tutorials. There are a lot of them out there on blogs, some very good ones. Probably the same with youtube. I know that next time I will be looking at how others put them together. I love the ones that use lace. I think it would be fun to work on for special occasions.

Can't wait to see what you make Marsha!

Latest posts

Back