Extremely Obese Mini

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks everyone! I hope you don't mind if I occasionally keep you up to date on him? I really hope to get some pictures up on here for you somehow. (If I can catch my son home for more than 5 minutes, I think he can get the printer hooked back up to this computer!). Got the nicest thank you card from the folks who had him today with a very heartfelt message in it. I just had to call them and tell them he is adjusting well to being back here. They really love him a lot. They did tell me though they fed round bales of grass/clover hay to the old horse and him! No wonder he's so big-he must have swallowed them whole!
default_thud.gif

Yes, updates please. And, pics when you get the chance, so we can have photo progression of his progress.

The only time I free feed the minis hay is in the dead of winter, we get very cold here, otherwise hay is measured out daily. [And, I pretty much feed straight grass hay with minimal alfalfa mixed in. I do feed from round bales most of the year, but the minis don't get free access to them.]

Last edited by a moderator:
We've been very pleased using a low starch pellet for our minis who were too heavy. It actually seems to be the right feed for most of our minis, and took the weight and crest off those who needed improvement.

I got the weight tape out this morning and a notebook so I can document his weight progress. Because of the fat over his withers we are not sure of his exact height (his papers need to be updated to permanent yet). He was about 29-30" when we sold him at 3 (maybe he was coming 3-I always update on time). We are 'guesstimating' he is around 32" now, though he could be 31+. It 's hard to say with all the fat. Anyway- he tape weighted at 468 lbs. !!!! (I almost fell over-our Shetlands weighed in that area!).
default_thud.gif
He is eating his hay, but not cleaning up the "scraps" like most of the food vacumns do. Maybe he is 'homesick' and missing the old horse a bit yet (it's only been 5 days today). He eats the supplements well and seems happy to see the hay coming at mealtimes. I will keep an eye on him.
default_yes.gif

the weight tapes are good for measuring changes, not so great for guesstimating weight on minis (they usually calculate high); keep using it to access his progress, but know it's probably always going to read high on a mini, especially a small one). The formula on the LB info pages is a bit more accurate, but not as good as a scale. http://www.lilbeginnings.com/info/misc/ Try the formula shown under the chart.

Thanks for the reminder of that LB chart. I just went out and measured my 36" mini. I bought the mini yard stick for measuring height and he measures at 9 hands. Anyway, his weight came out as 329 pounds. He gets 3/4 cup of purina mini feed and 1 1/2 pounds grass hay 2 times daily and a very small snack at bed time. He is on a drylot and the only grazing he gets is around the fence line. He is 5 yo. and a grade mini. There maybe a shetland parent in the mix somewhere. How much weight do you think he needs to take off? He is a companion to an older horse who is in a different paddock. I have been thinking about getting him a playmate hoping that would incourage him to be more active. This has been a very informative topic. Is there a better mini feed out there besides the purina mini feed? I sometimes have a hard time finding it as there is only one store in a 15 mile radius that sells it.

Thanks for the reminder of that LB chart. I just went out and measured my 36" mini. I bought the mini yard stick for measuring height and he measures at 9 hands. Anyway, his weight came out as 329 pounds. He gets 3/4 cup of purina mini feed and 1 1/2 pounds grass hay 2 times daily and a very small snack at bed time. He is on a drylot and the only grazing he gets is around the fence line. He is 5 yo. and a grade mini. There maybe a shetland parent in the mix somewhere. How much weight do you think he needs to take off? He is a companion to an older horse who is in a different paddock. I have been thinking about getting him a playmate hoping that would incourage him to be more active. This has been a very informative topic. Is there a better mini feed out there besides the purina mini feed? I sometimes have a hard time finding it as there is only one store in a 15 mile radius that sells it.
He actually sounds like he's at a good weight, so might not need to lose much depending on his build.

I have 8 minis from 35-38" tall: the lightest is a 35.75" stallion he weighs 285# (doesn't look thin at all), the heaviest a lactating mare she weighs 395# (doesn't look fat, I'll worry about her shape when she's done nursing her foal). Two other lactating mares are 365 and 370#, they are just right. [All three lactating mares are 38" tall.] One mare (36") needs to gain weight, she's only 305#. Two open mares are 330# and they look prettty good (one could probably stand to lose a little bit, but won't worry about going into winter). And, two gelding about the same height (about 36") but different builds and heath status; the normal gelding is 380# and could probably stand to lose 5-10#,, the Cushing's gelding is 325# and could probably stand to gain 10-15#.

Well, it's only been a week and a half, so no noticeable changes in weight, of course. But I have been grooming him and the bit of a mane and tail he has. He has a nice shine (even under the dust!) and the tail looks healthy and fuller (probably due to grooming and such). Today I changed his pasture buddies on the one side.
default_whistling.gif
He is kind of missing the one mini he seemed to becoming friendly with through the fence a little. I put the 2 year old stallion
default_eat.gif
and the 12 year old gelding next to him on that side now. The little stallion keeps things lively.
default_xreiter.gif
So teletubby Pepper was trotting and hippety hop cantering
default_xreiter.gif
up and down the fence line with them a little. I think with the hoof trim and better diet he is feeling better already!
default_yes.gif
He seems to move a bare bit easier (maybe it's wishful thinking-but it looked like it!). Still hoping to get pics up sometime in the near future for you all!

Latest posts

Back