Experiences with shipping bred mares

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slv

Reaction score
I am just wondering what experience, good or bad, any of you have had with shipping bred mares for such a distance. They will be shipped in mid January and are due to foal around the first week of April. Both have had several foals and are not really the nervous type, but have been on the farm that they are on now for quite a few years.

What are your thoughts and experiences with this. I sure do want them to hold on to their foals.

Shipping a horse at any time can be a risky business but a mare in foal sure does add to the tension doesn't it?! With only 3 1/2 months to go I would sure be nervous if I were in your shoes. Is there no way of foaling them out first? If not, well, lots of mares have been shipped and some even closer to their due date. Try to be sure to get a very good, reliable shipper for them who will give them a good direct route trip. Send water, hay and feed along with them so that at the very least they won't have a sudden feed change to contend with too. Good luck!

I have never had a problem with low stress mares and hauling up until about 1 month prior to foaling. In fact I know several large quarter horse breeders that ship with in 2 weeks of foaling so that the mares can be re bred upon their foal heats.

But as always there is a risk involved.

I have had mares shipped as far as France when they were 9 months along with no problems. They foaled very healthy foals.

Usually, as long as there is not a lot of stress, one can ship a mare in foal after they are 90 days along, up until a couple of months before foaling. There have been mares who have been shipped days before foaling, but that would not be something I would want do to my mares.

Have shipped bred to Australia, and a 20 yr old from TX to VA--both mid term, foals were carried to term. But, anything CAN happen. Most carry fine -- unless problem settling histories previously.

I am in agreement with sending hay, and if compatible, maybe put two together in a box stall. If not, at least next to one another will offer them some companion stability.
default_smile.png

I have also received mares that were in foal and fairly far along, and had no problems. I think the last few weeks I would not want to ship one because they are so big and uncomfortable anyhow. Also, we had a vet tell us years ago that the mare has no immunities to the new environment and different bacterias that might be there, which can affect the foal too. Not sure how much of this is so, but.....??

I would say the key is getting an excellent shipper that will give them plenty of rest and TLC along the way.

Additionally, the buyer should watch them and give them extra care when they arrive to insure that stress is minimized.

I shipped two mares in foal (due april/may) yesterday and i just make sure to take it a easy...a little slower around the corners, a little easier on the brakes (normally am anyway, but just a little bit more..) and were offered water everytime we stopped, be it for gas or to just grab a burger. I think if you can keep the stress down that is important. I treat them like they are fragile in the trailer, which i guess in a way they are.

Your mares will be at the end of their mid-trimester of gestation, if your calculation is correct. The middle of a pregnancy is the BEST time to be transporting, as far as Larry and I are concerned.

Lots of bedding.....plenty of hay to munch on.......water to drink.......a number of breaks (which would happen with fuel stops and a driver's meals).......and your girls should be fine.

I will add that if there is any additional concern about the pregnancy, you can always put the mares on Regumate for the trip. This means starting them on it a day or two prior to departure, and then having them gradually go off of it a partial cc. at a time over a few days after they arrive. Larry has had good success with this when transporting mares in their LATE part of their pregnancy.

We have shipped many bred mares, even one that we bought who delivered the day after she got here, with absolutely no problems.

Back