Exciting New 2009!!! Looking back....

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine was not with miniatures, but with my ponies. At Congress this year I was pleasantly surprised in one class. Modern Pleasure Mare 2 year olds. The filly I showed had been placing 3rd all summer. The Congress class, when it was over went over to the rail to wait for the office staff to tabulate the results.

I was commenting to Carin Ponder, who tailed for me, that if we placed 5th or 6th I would be happy. That's pretty good on a national level seeing as we were placing 3rd in the local shows.

I was kicking at the dirt as they were calling off the placings. All of a sudden Carin punched my shoulder and told me my pony just won the class. I turned to her, thinking it wasn't very nice to tease me, but then they called my name and the pony's name again. My mouth hit the ground, literally! Carin had to push me to go up to get my trophy, ribbon and get our picture taken.

The other was my Tulip. She won her class, so she has a National Title as well. That was the hardest work I had put in -- we had just a little over 60 days together when we went to Congress. So I was pleasantly surprised that she 'behaved' decently to be judged. But then her rail work was pretty awesome!

Last edited by a moderator:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fu9OJgmh-gk...re=channel_page

5:21-6:00. 'Nuff said.
default_smile.png

Daryl

Ya'll know how often Kody makes me choke up, I've posted many stories about our trials and the hundred and one ways that horse has come through for me when it counts. 2008 was a year of real highs and lows for us from the despair of realizing his first stifle surgery hadn't worked and he was locking worse than ever to unbelievably winning all three CDE's we entered just months after his second (successful) stifle surgery. That horse won all three on pure heart, I swear.
default_wub.png

I think the most tear-worthy moment was at the Happ's CDE when Kody, barely-healed, exhausted, sore and with basically nothing left after two hard days, hit the ingate of the cones course with the win on the line and gave it everything he had for twenty gates. He knew his job and he did it willingly, regardless of pain or fatigue. When I pulled him up after we passed the outgate I got out of the cart and ran to his head and hugged him hard; he arched his neck so proudly and his eyes were sparkling with pleasure. He knew he'd done good!
default_wub.png
default_wub.png
I could not believe we'd not only finished, but finished in first place.

The fairy-tale season continued when two weeks later we won the Inavale CDE, then two weeks after that we won the Preliminary division of the Beavercreek CDE as well along with Best Dressage and Best Prelim VSE Overall. And to cap off the season, Kody then won his first Stakes Championship in Western Country Pleasure, the EMHC Year-End Championships for Prelim CDE and WCP Under, and then at the Happ's VSE Driving Trials Twice in September he won first place out of eleven Prelim entries on Sunday, Best Overall and Most Improved. (Saturday was my fault, Kody did well enough to have gotten second if I hadn't made a couple of rookie timing errors.)

That little horse is amazing. I love him so much and every day I'm in awe of his heart and courage. He made 2008 an amazing season and I can't wait to see what 2009 holds as we move up to Intermediate and he becomes the smallest horse in the world (literally, I think) to compete at that level. It's going to be quite a ride.

Leia

Do you have a moment or experience at a show or with your horse

that brings goose bumps or lump in your throat of joy when you think about??

Ours was in November when we went to the Oregon Horse Center for the Mountain Trail Championships. We have shown in many venues for years and years, but never at anything like this event. For those who don't know a mountain trail course complete with waterfalls, bridges, boulders and trees and canyons is built in the arena. Our 34 inch Bandito son, Milo, was to compete in hand and then in the "ride and lead". Milo was the "lead" beside a quarter horse who was ridden bridleless. The course was constructed with full-size horses in mind so obstacles were chest high to a mini. At one point both horses had to jump up onto a platform about 7'x7', make a 360 degree turn on top and hop down. Many times Milo was sent through the obstacle first to be sure that there was room for him in the narrow (one backhoe width wide) canyons. He was amazing, never hesitating to go anywhere and everywhere he was directed. At the end of the weekend, he and his QH friend were reserve champions at the ride and lead event, having placed well through all four days of the show. Hearing the crowd chant "Mi-lo, Mi-lo" and break into spontaneous applause when he finished a particularly taxing portion of the course was something I'll never forget.

Dorothy

This is an easy one for me, 2008 Nationals! This was the 1st year I brought my own driving horse and showed him myself. I got Moss Grove Rio Rhondo, a red leopard B appy, last year and we only got to a couple shows before Nationals. Rio is an awesome horse, what a mover he is. As a rank amateur Rio and I won NATIONAL RESERVE CHAMPION in ladies western country pleasure over! Roger, my header, had to say "thats YOU" because I wasnt really listening, not expecting a placing that high or at all even. I was so happy! We went on to win an 8th and two 3rd places including in the stakes class. These were all large classes with very tough competition. I am still beyond thrilled with our performance. And I cant thank Jane and Lucy at Field of Dreams for letting me get Rio. He is my dream driving horse.

After Rios wins at Nationals I didnt think I could be happier but was proven wrong when my yearling halter boy, Ericas Big City Bank on Me, won a NATIONAL RESERVE CHAMPION out of an enormous class! He also showed with our friend Torri in the youth showing junior stallion class and they placed 5th! Banker really behaved well and Dale and Roger, his handlers, have had their hands full at times with this exuberent young stallion. It was nice he decided to behave at the most important show of the year!

So I went to Nationals hoping to get a top 10 ribbon and came home with 2 Nat. Res. Champions. Life is GOOD!!!
default_yes.gif
default_aktion033.gif
default_biggrin.png

Wow......2008 was such a fun year for me!!

I'd have to say my "ahhhhh" moment was at the Pinto World show. It was my goal to make it back there last year; it's quite the trip from the Northwest! I took 2 "homegrown" horses and my stallion. I do all my own training and conditioning...and believe me I'm definately an amateur and was very nervous. My very first class was with my yearling colt Danny(Total Eclipse Dances on Heir) and there were 8 other very nice colts in the class. When they were giving out the individual placings from the judges I was holding my breath! When all 3 placed him first and gave him the World Champion I felt like I was walking on air!! Just started grinning.

scan0002.jpg

I didn't think anything could top that! But Danny's 1/2 sister Lily(Total Eclipse Starlight Dancer) just out did herself!! She came in top 5 halter, #3 in a large color class, but in her performance classes she shined! World Champion in Hunter and In-hand trail, Reserve World in Jumping and World Champion in a huge Amateur In-hand trail class that was A and B minis plus the ponies. She ended up Hi-point mini for the show.

scan0005.jpg

This year it's staying local and I'm going to get more into driving!
default_smile.png

The very first show I went to at Purcell, Ok I saw a pic. of Lazy N Little Man, he was for sale. I told my husband that some day I would own a horse just like that. Several yrs later, I now own Lazy N Little Man. Larry Parnell told me that when Little Man was young nobody wanted to handle him, he was mean so, they would draw straws to see who had to get him out. I sit in his lot in a chair and he puts his head on my shoulder and we just love each other. I think if he could figure out how to sit on my lap he would do it. He has never offered to nip, bite or kick. We have a very special bond. I promised Little Man when I got him that if he would live I would spend the rest of his life spoiling him rotten. I am very thankful to still have that opportunity.

For me, it would be the day we brought my first mini home. Spending the day just being with him and letting it sink in that I was the proud owner of a miniature horse. The second would be the first time we got to drive him in the cart. He was such a good boy. He's only 3 and we were very green drivers and he was so steady!! Thanks, Lori of Milo Minis for teaching him so wonderfully!!! Then when my 8 year old son drove him for the first time, Peek was so careful of him and very patient to the mix ups of left and right. He makes me very proud. I don't think I could have gotten a better first mini or found a better trainer/teacher.

AMHR Nationals. This past September.

After Classique's Phantom Gold and I won Amateur Jumper Under, my sciatic nerve flared up. I couldn't walk more than a hundred feet or so without tingling and pain in my leg forcing me to stop and sit down.

I still was dealing with the tingling and pain several days later, when it was time for Adult Jumper Under.

Phantom carried me through the class. I know he could sense I was hurting. He set the pace, and I did my darndest to keep up.

We won the class.

We're fortunate to have several wonderfully gifted minis, but Phantom truly is something special.

Phantom won six National Championships at the 2008 AMHR Nationals -- Amateur Jumper, Adult Jumper, Amateur Roadster, Amateur Park Harness, Open Park Harness and Liberty. And he also accumulated enough points in Versatility classes to claim an AMHR-record ninth Hall of Fame.

Since coming into our lives, Phantom has given our family many outstanding and memorable moments.

BopNDoc said:
That looks soooo fun! But the girl and the little sorrel was scaring me!!
default_new_shocked.gif
*LOL!!* That would be me and Kody!
default_new_rofl.gif
I told you, we drive fast.
default_wink.png

Leia
I see that!!! I'd be the "little ole lady that doesn't need a driving license"!!!! (you know the ones on the road that are gripping the wheel w/both hands and going all of 25 mph in a 55mph zone!!!!
default_yes.gif

I have to admit that looking back on 2008, it was a really great year for me and my horses. They showed well for my daughter, who had never shown before, and won nearly every class she tried at our fun show. We attended more shows than ever before and did pretty well at all of them.

At Nationals, once I set his feet my stallion stood perfectly still in his halter class and never moved a muscle. We didn't win but I was so proud that he showed me he knew how to behave. Then when he got Championship in Western Pleasure Driving 32 and under, I let out a loud scream and again he didn't jump out of harness. I expected him to shy at the greenery and flowers for the picture but he walked up like he'd been doing this forever. Normally I expect my filly to be calm and in control but not always the stallion. I WAS SO PROUD of his demeanor through the entire show that I could have just popped!

Guess maybe that's the difference in the wins. Of her I expect good things and when he does it I'm just so proud.

The best and most exciting thing in 2008 for me and my daughter was when Eddie was born out of her fave mare and my fave guy. Nothing could top that not even looking back now Thunder when he placed 5th at Nationals or my fave guys first driving class where he placed in the top 5 out of 12 or the phone call out of the blue from a breeder asking if l wanted a stallion a mare and a colt...

I have two types of memorable moments. Lots of each, but one stands out for each one. First, in the show ring--Dave was driving our over gelding in open pleasure at the AMHR Nationals the first year at Tulsa. In the lineup, I was heading and we were talking about all the things Mighty Mouse probably could have done better and maybe we should work on for the next year. Didn't hear his number, but finally it registered that the announcer was calling his name for champion. We were so in shock we could barely move. Could hardly take the grins off our faces for hours. The non show moment was at a parade. We had a skittish gelding that Dave took just for show. We had about 4 other horses that we were taking to the side for petting and stuff. A lady came up and asked if her blind daughter could 'see' his horse. The rest of us were way ahead, so Dave said it would be ok, but to take it slowly. Silver stood completely still--didn't move a muscle while this young lady (early teens) felt him from his ears to tail tip. touched his legs, his underbelly--just blew us away. By the time they were done, I noticed what was going on and was bee-lining it back for fear of an incident. He is still a stinker--8 years later--but he was a statue when he needed to be. Gotta love the diamonds in the rough.

Angie

For me, it would be the day we brought my first mini home. Spending the day just being with him and letting it sink in that I was the proud owner of a miniature horse. The second would be the first time we got to drive him in the cart. He was such a good boy. He's only 3 and we were very green drivers and he was so steady!! Thanks, Lori of Milo Minis for teaching him so wonderfully!!! Then when my 8 year old son drove him for the first time, Peek was so careful of him and very patient to the mix ups of left and right. He makes me very proud. I don't think I could have gotten a better first mini or found a better trainer/teacher.
Awwww, thanks Kim - you are a really good student! One of my mushy moments was with Kim's son and Peek. Kim's son plays with my daughter while Kim has her lesson with Peek and then he takes a turn. One cold day not too long ago Kim was having her lesson and when it was finished her son was in the house and we decided not to bother him as it was so cold. We took Peek back to the barn and started to unhitch him. Kim's son came into the barn with his helmet and gloves on ready to go, saw the cart sitting there and Peek half unhitched. He didn't say a word but the crestfallen look on his face as he turned and left tore at my heart. I called to him and said we would re-hitch Peek for him. He got the biggest smile on his face and came running back! A boy after my own heart
default_wub.png

My precious moments include every morning and every night. When Rose & Miracle call to me and talk to me. Always gives my spirit a lift and a contented sigh to my heart.

Rose is 19 this year, I've had her 16 years! From a skinny, starving, dieing mare to the beauty she became to the Grand Dame she is now. Miracle will be 15 this year. The first foal I delivered (& dead brought back by me) and has never left my ownership. My, how time flies when your involved with something you love!

Viki

2008 was full of many suprizes for me and my family. firstly we got a herd of 4 mares and one stallion. it took us more then 4 days to get them all because they had to be trailered 2 at a time or one at a time. Once we got home things where pretty awesome. the one thing I can remmber right now that really had us laughing was that our stallion quest was squeling really loud at my other horses. unknowing to my neighbors they thought we had bought a pig and it was squeling. We eventully went over there and told them about the new horses. they asked bout the squeling pig and we told them it was our stallion. they where laughing there heads off it was downright funny. Another very special moment was when my colt sirprize was born. i had been sleeping and just barly wakeing up. my best frind robin was online watching my one mare like a hawk. this mare wasnt showing many sighns of foaling. to her great suprize the mare went into labor only mins agfter i was awake. i was home alone so i had to run down to the barn. the colt was already out all i had to do waslift off the sack from his nose. if it hadnt been for my best friend iw ouldnt have been able to get down there fast enough and he could have suffered from not being able to breath.

My first moment that was memorable this year was rushing out to Sue's place to see my newborn foal, a beautiful palomino pinto colt by Marystown Windchaser out of my EK grand-daughter. I watched him take his first steps and nurse for the first time. Spirit will always have a special place in my heart as our first Royal Crescent foal. :love

My most memorable moment though was taking a Reserve World Championship at AMHA Worlds with my mare, Riverdances Monarch Surprise. I was just shocked when they called her name. She is pictured in my avatar. i just adore this little mare, and have since she was a foal.

Then the next day, being there to watch Sues colt, Riverdances Scouts Black Tie Affair, win his class. The shocked expression on her face was priceless! good luck with him next year Peggy!
default_yes.gif

Barb

My most memorable moment in time was when Dreamer laid her head in my lap and looked up at me and I saw in her eyes that she had let go of all her natural instincts and put her life in my hands, she totally trusted me....
default_wub.png
Everytime I look in her eyes I still see it. She is my soul mare.

Latest posts

Back