Ergots????

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Taya

Reaction score
Hi guys

I have a mini mare that I just clipped and she has very long ergots (think thats what they are called)

What do I do to them lol are they like chestnuts that can be taken off or not.

I dont want to hurt her as shes very touchy around her feet anyway so dont want to upset her too much.

Will applying vaseline or oir help loosen them? or are they there to stay

Thanks

Although I have never done so myself, I know they can be removed like chestnuts.

I find these such a pain!!! I never knew the name for them but they get in the way of clipping and you cant get all the hair off very easily!!

I had a filly a while back who didnt have any at all...nothing there, just was born without them I figure and then last show season I showed an outside filly that was the same...
default_unsure.png

Weird, Im not sure how to get rid of them but sure would like to know because they are quite tough unlike the chestnuts that can be easily picked off after a bath...

I read somewhere that they are from back when horses used to have three toes, one toe turned into the chestnut over time, one toe turned into the "ergot'' the other is now the hoof..dont know how much truth there is in that but it makes sense to me!

Yep, peel 'em right off.
default_wink.png
On some horses it helps to give them a bath first so the ergots soften in the water, for other horses they'll crumble off easily when dry. Try it and see and maybe work on it over a few days if your mare is sensitive.

I've heard the same thing as Helen regarding the vestigial toes and as far as I know that's accurate. It would make sense- chestnuts and ergots are both horny growths like hooves.

Leia

I have always applied Vaseline and do it twice a day if it needs it. Do it every day for about 3-5 days, and they just drop off.

Just grap it and pull it off slowley. It will come off in layers, flakes, and if your lucky, the whole thing will come off. My horses didnt mind a bit.

I use hoof nippers. Ruby's get HUGE, one is all curly right now, plan on clipping it off today. It was hiding in her fetlock hair, but I trimmed that yesterday and found it haha!

Jessi

Thankyou all so much
default_smile.png

Was a little shocked when I saw them as due to fetlock hair I didnt realise she had them lol

I have a show to go to with her and they arent the prettiest things haha

May try the vaseline for a few days first I think she will mind that less!

Thanks

Latest posts

Back