Elevated Grooming Stands

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

babygoose

Reaction score
I would like to build some sort of elevated grooming stand for my minis. Since I can't find a farrier that doesn't leave them looking like they are standing on coke cans, I have been trimming them myself, and since I am almost 6 feet tall, it kills my back and legs. Also would help with clipping, bathing, etc. I tried a search of old threads and found a few ideas, but many of the old links to pictures didn't work anymore. Sooooo..... I would love it if those that have elevated stands, or have built elevated stands could post pictures. I would love to buy one of those Mini Lifts, but can't afford it. But want something that I can walk the minis up on, and have adjustable sides/rails so I can trim or clip, bathe, doctor, etc. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a nice metal goat stand I have considered using for clipping minis... works great for bathing my dogs lol I just don't know how much weight it can safely hold.

H and I had a stand that was actually built by a well known judge (who was (is?) also a trainer). However, when we got it, I didn't think any of our horses needed it at the time. We ended up disassembling it and turning it into a play thing for our dwarf goats. If I could turn back the hands of time.................................

I built one (out of wood), and only used it once, as I have yet to make the necessary changes so that it'll work better; the side rails are in the wrong position, so get in the way (if I make them removeable, I don't think the stand will hold-up). So, it just sits there storing shaving bales.
default_rolleyes.gif

I've looked at those stands (commercially made) and think they look like they would be incredibly awkward to use for hoof trimming.

When it comes to trimming, I often kneel down--works well for me & it sure saves on the back.

Several yrs. ago, with the encouragement of our farrier, my husband built a syand with all the bells and whistles. It had a ramp which folded up for storage and it even had lawnmower wheels on it so it could be rolled into position and then locked so it wouldn't roll. It was the Rolls Royce of lifts. He even put outdoor carpet on it so the horses wouldn't lose their footing. We were so excited when the farrier arrived and couldn't wait to try it out. It was an absolute disaster. Our horses didn't like being led up a ramp and they hated being raised up off the ground. We had a rodeo just trying to get them on the ramp. They would have no part of it. We finally got one of them to comply but the whole time she was being trimmed she was trying to get down. When they were finished they wanted to jump off rather than walking down the ramp on the other side. We had safety rails etc. Thankfully nobody got hurt. Now it sits on the wall of the tack room and holds stuff.

Back