Egg plant recipes needed

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shari

Reaction score
Does anyone have any good egg plant recipes? Perfer low or no salt so I can eat it too.

Hubby decided to plant it in the garden and now I have no idea on how to deal with the thing.
default_rolleyes.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Slice eggplant & put in a bowl or plastic bag. Pour in your favorite italian dressing & turn the eggplant to cover completely. Let sit a spell or put immediately on the grill. Cook slowly so the slices will soften. I do not like them if they are still firm - needs to soften. You can roll the eggplant slices in the dressing again when you turn them if you want. I had an abundance of eggplant this year but Lee will not eat it. If you are in a hurry slice them thinner. High heat makes them burn too easily......................... I think they are an interesting looking vegetable - if you don't cook them put them in a table arrangement.

Last edited by a moderator:
I make some awesome fried eggplant once in a blue moon. If you're interested in that I will come back later and post it. Don't think it's the healthiest since it's fried.....but omg is it GOOD!!!
default_eat.gif

Fried Eggplant

Batter - 1 1/2 cups of flour, 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder, pepper, salt, garlic powder, onion powder.

Mix all dry ingredients together. Add water slowly. I usually gage the water by sight making sure it's not too wattery but has a good thick consistency to cling onto the eggplant.

1 - medium egg plant. You can either leave the skin on or trim it off.....I usually leave it on. Wash eggplant before you cut it into round disks. This way the inside stays dry and the batter clings to it better. Dip the round slices into the batter and fry in hot grease until golden brown.

**You can add more flour as you go if you have more eggplants to fry up. I normally do this recipe by sight as I've done it for so many years.

YUMMY!!!!
default_eat.gif

Eggplant parmesan......slice, flour, lightly fry eggplant. Layer in pan, cover with spaghetti sauce, mozzarella cheese, 2-3 layers, ending with cheese. Bake about 325 until all eggplant is soft thru and cheese browned on top. Time depends on size of casserole. Similar to doing lasagna, just no meat/pasta.

I've fried the slices, stacked and frozen, then just take out amount for the size pan I want to fill/people to feed, etc. Great served with pasta on side, Italian sausage, meatballs, etc.

Another thin I like is to cube into approx 1/2" size pieces, saute in a touch of olice oil with some garlic.

Cool. Then toss with fresh cut tomatoes, onions, grn pepper, salt/pepper, basil, oregano, some mild vinegar and olive oil. Makes a great side "salad" alone or over cold pasta, spinach, romaine lettuce.

Can also be served warm. Best if the mixture has set a few hours to meld the flavors.

[SIZE=12pt]Baba Ganoush[/SIZE]

1 large eggplant, about 1 1/2 pounds

1 teaspoon salt

2 cloves garlic

1/4 cup lemon juice

2 tablespoon tahini

ground cumin

Preheat oven to 425 F. With a fork, punch a bunch of holes in the eggplant and place it on a baking dish or sheet. Cook for about 45 minutes, until the eggplant is all sunken in. Remove from the heat and let it cool until you can peel it safely. Peel and put it in a food processor. Add the salt, garlic, lemon juice, and tahini, and process until it's smooth. Serve sprinkled with cumin and use vegetables or pitas for dipping.

Makes 4 servings. Per serving: 58 Calories; 2g Total Fat; Protein; 10g Carbohydrate; 541mg Sodium; 3g Fiber

[SIZE=10pt]Eggplant Paprikash[/SIZE]

1 large onion, halved and cut into thin wedges

3 cloves garlic, minced

3 tbsp. paprika

1/2 tsp. red pepper (optional)

1 tsp. salt (optional)

1 1/2 - 2 lbs. eggplant (about 2 medium) cut into 1-inch cubes

2 bell peppers

1 cup vegetable broth

1 14-ounce can diced tomatoes

1/8 tsp. Liquid Smoke flavoring

1/2 cup sour cream

[SIZE=10pt]In a large, non-stick saucepan, sauté the onion in a small amount of water until it begins to brown, about 5-8 minutes. Add the garlic, paprika, and red pepper (optional), and stir for one minute. Add the salt, eggplant, peppers, vegetable broth, and tomatoes. Cover and simmer until the eggplant is tender, about 15-20 minutes.[/SIZE]

Stir in the Liquid Smoke (optional) and the sour cream, and cook for another minute, until warmed through. Serve over pasta

Our fried eggplant is a little different. We dip the slices in a little egg and milk, then in crushed saltines (with a little pepper added) and fry.

Yum, I am going to make some eggplant dishes this week, everything sounds so good
default_yes.gif

Latest posts

Back