Eagle isn't well

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eagle

Reaction score
O.k so Eagle has not looked good for a long time now and I have run blood tests and changed feed but he still isn't 100%. I bought him home so I could control better his food intake and monitor him on cam. Yesterday I went down to check on him at 21.00 and he hadn't pooped yet (I had cleaned his pen at 14.00) I gave him a mash and monitored him and finally at 23.00 he pooped. This morning he had pooped a couple of times but it was very firm. I put him out for some limited grass and he has done a couple of very small firm poops. I went to check his last one as he did it just as I was changing his water and it had blood traces in it.
new_shocked.gif

Could this be enteroliths or ulcers?

My vet is coming on Monday to run blood tests again or should I ask him to come before?

Thanks Renee

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh dear, this has got to be a little alarming for you but I'm wondering if the blood is from a fissure due to the hardness of the poop.

Poor Eagle - sounds like it could be an ulcer or fissure, but definitely need the vet out sooner rather than later. Prayers for you and your boy!
default_pray.gif
Keep us informed, please!

I really hope he is ok, Renee!
pray.gif
Praying for your boy.

Please let us know how he continues to do.

I too was wondering if it was due to the firmness. He is on a strict diet as he has a large tummy. He is fed a 13.8% protein as that is the best I can find here in Italy and wet hay twice a day with 6 hours on grass (not good quality due to the heat) What could I give him to help soften his poop? I have some hay cubes that I could water down?

Thanks for your advice,

Renee

Oh dear, this has got to be a little alarming for you but I'm wondering if the blood is from a fissure due to the hardness of the poop.
I'm thinking the same thing......If he was bleeding internally, the blood would be darker, almost black......at least that's how it looks when it happens to humans. If he's allowed to eat a "mash", that may help. I'd at least call the vet and tell him about the hard poop and the RED blood on it.

If the blood came from the small intestine, the blood in the feces would look blackish, old, and digested.

This blood is frank red, which means it either came from the large intestine (probably somewhere toward the end of the tract) or a fissure from the hard feces.

I would watch him and consult your vet.

Good luck, and I hope Eagle feels better soon!!

I'm not saying he's healthy and certainly the blood is a concern, but usually bright red blood like this is from around the rectum due to some mechanical irritation. An ulcer from farther forward in the GI tract would give you dark tarry stool (most of the time blood isn't noted at all in cases of ulcers).

Based on this sign alone I'm only concerned, not panicked.

Dr Taylor

Thank you all for your advice. Would beet be o.k to feed him with his weight problems at least for a few days?

I will call my vet in the morning and see if he can come out first thing.

Try really soaked beet pulp without the added molasses. Mine love the shreds.. they even suck up the juice in the bottom!

Renee, Im sorry to read Eagle is not feeling well. You are right on top of things and have gotten some advice that will help...we hope. All I can offer is prayer, get well wishes and hugs to you. You said you brought him home...was he away for a bit? I dont remember him going away.

hugs

heidi

No Heidi, he was down with the other horse out in the field which is behind hubby's factory. I was worried about the amount of grass he was eating as he is way too fat.

Thanks for the prayers.

Hugs

I will agree that doesn't look like some sort of internal bleeding... blood would be BLACK not red...

Give it a couple days and if it doesn't resolve, have the vet out...

Andrea

I can't really offer anything that hasn't been said, but hugs
default_sad.png
I hope he clears up soon!

default_saludando.gif
iam sorry to hear your little eagle is not well

if that was happening to a human a doctor would say you have piles

i would give him a nice big bran mash

I agree with what is said about the red blood from the rectum, and the black tarry stool from further up the GI (digested blood) I hope he gets better very soon

Latest posts

Back