Dwaft or not?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Malissa. I think your mare is very cute. I would agree with some of the other post in saying that she looks "normal" to me. I just purchased a small (26.50") mare and I am afraid to breed her because of her size. She is A and R registered with really good bloodlines but I am afraid to risk her health for a foal. Just think it over and maybe more breeders will respond to the breeding issue of one so small.
default_wub.png
:

Tony, I applaud you for coming in on this subject. I am a lover of the "smaller" ones myself and in my years of breeding have had one dwarf born. I never bred that pair again and never had another. I agree, I think these two girls are tiny lovely girls and with the right stallions to breed to, I think they could have adorable foals. I think they should be given a chance, JMO.

Joyce L

Your filly is a silver colored filly- probably black silver. I would not call her a dwarf. The term is "dwarf" not "dwaft"
default_smile.png
The palomino is cute. Your filly has a cute head. I'd breed her to a small stallion with some substance as it looks like your girl is a bit light in the leg bone dept.

Tammie

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello,

I know I spell dwarf wrong. I ready said I mess up on the spelling.

thanks melissa

[SIZE=14pt]I was going to stay away from this but I just have to disagree with Tammie, This TINY mare should not be bred but if you must, breeding such a tiny thing to something with more bone would be a terrible mistake because she would never get a bigger boned foal out. Always when breeding small you need to consider that with such a narrow pelvis you need a light boned stallion, as refined as you can find. I didnt want people reading this and thinking it is safe or wise to breed a fine boned 26 inch mare to anything with more bone. Sorry Tammie, just my opinion it is a distocia waiting to happen.[/SIZE]

hello,

here our the fillies with my daughter who loves them.

take care,

melissa

117_117.jpg

[SIZE=14pt]I am sorry to disagree with Tony because he does have lots of sm,all horses but if these are current pics, the silver looks plainly dwarfy, Cute but large head with close nostril placement on the top rather than sides of face, short neck, crooked legs, large knobby joints, over in the knees, large abdomen. The palamino while not quite as bad also shows short upper limbs, short neck large head ..... I would not consider these fillies as capeable of producing the show winners you are planning for in your farm plan. They look like very sweet pets and your daughter is just lovely but her big filly is much better and possibly the new filly. I would work with those two and the bay mare. This is just my opinion and I am only giving it because you asked for opinions on the top of this thread.[/SIZE]

Lyn

Last edited by a moderator:
I will only say this. First I will not comment on your fillies however I will say this. For some it takes 3 or 4 or more characteristics for some to call them a dwarf for some it takes one characteristic so IMO that is why you are getting the different opinions. Neither one is wrong just different ideas

[SIZE=14pt]I was going to stay away from this but I just have to disagree with Tammie, This TINY mare should not be bred but if you must, breeding such a tiny thing to something with more bone would be a terrible mistake because she would never get a bigger boned foal out. Always when breeding small you need to consider that with such a narrow pelvis you need a light boned stallion, as refined as you can find. I didnt want people reading this and thinking it is safe or wise to breed a fine boned 26 inch mare to anything with more bone. Sorry Tammie, just my opinion it is a distocia waiting to happen.[/SIZE]
No problem Lyn- everyone has thier opinions.

One of the finest babies I've had (was all star top ten in one year of showing AMHR in halter and color) who's sire was a Falabella stallion 28.5" that had good bone to a fine small mare. Textbook delivery. That's one example- I have had many more! In general I'd say go with fine and small stallion for a small mare but this particular mare has too fine a bone for my taste- I'd want a bit more substance in my resulting foals. If you breed "weak" legs to "week legs" your likelyhood of getting a foal with the same is substatial. Possibly this is a case with this mare where she should not be bred. It's an owners choice.

Tammie

[SIZE=14pt]That was one reason I suggested that this mare not be bred.... I know you can luck out sometimes... I just think thats a chance someone only in minis for 2 years shouldnt probably take.[/SIZE]

Lyn

Latest posts

Back