Dwaft or not?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MBhorses

Reaction score
Hello,

We got this mini almost 2 yrs ago. We were told she was not a dwaft. She has a good bite and all. Everyone lately has told me she looks like a dwaft or with some dwaft signs. She is 2 1/2 yrs old now.We wanted to breed her, but not if you all think she looks or has dwaft signs. She is only 26 inches tall. She is register with AMHA.

dscn8774.jpg

DSCN8305.jpg

055_55.jpg

thanks for you all help.

melissa

Hi melissa

I cant see anything wrong with your mare at all as you say her bite is fine so from looking at her i think she's beautiful..

Best of luck.

Lila

HELLO,

HERE IS A PICTURE OF THIS FILLY HALF SISTER. SHE IS A PALOMINO WITH AMHA

WE KNOW THE PALOMINO IS NOT A DWAFT,BUT QUESTIONING HER HALF SISTER ABOVE.WOULD YOU BREED THE GREY ABOVE OR NOT? WHAT ABOUT THE PALOMINO FILLY, IF YOU THINK HER SISTER IS A DWAFT?

dscn8775.jpg

THANKS MELISSA

Hi Melissa

The only Dwarf Charastic I can see is the belly, but that may just be a hay belly. She does have a short head but the rest of her seems to be in proportion. With her being only 26" tall I'd question whether or not I'd breed her. You'd have to find just the right tiny stallion.

Ginny StP

I don't know anything about dwarfs...
default_wacko.png
: but from photos I have seen posted here on the forum, she either has a hugh hay/grass belly, or there is something else going on with her. Maybe her diet?? Sorry I wish I could be of more help, but there are very knowledgeable mini members on here who do know.. I am sure someone will help you....Theresa

Whats a dwaft? do you mean a dwarf? If so, your first one doesn't look dwarfy to me except maybe her big belly. But I wouldn't breed her anyway as I don't have the nerve to breed one that small and I've been breeding for years. If you are inexperienced, I hope you do alot of research before you make your decision. they both look like wonderful little pets!

HELLO,

YES I MEANT DWARF.

SORRY ABOUT THAT.

DOES ANYONE HAVE PICTURES OF DWARF MINIATURES TO SHARE.

THANKS MELISSA

I do not see dwarf signs with this mare.

however, first, i would consider waiting to breed her until she has a nother year or so on her, and, secondly, breed her to a smaller refined stallion. both sisters look normal though.

this is just MY opinion and i am sure you will get many others on the board.

jennifer :saludando:

Although she doesn't seem to be the best conformed little girl I don't see anything about her that screams dwarf to me. I don't think she is a dwarf in my humble opinon but my eye is drawn right to her huge belly. Even taking into consideraton that she is tiny and it could be a hay belly, I think not. This could be an ulcer, or a sign of Cushings or any number of things but I would suggest that you have her looked at by your vet. . There is also another name for this "bellied" condition that I learned about last year watching Animal Planet. I think it was even discussed here on the forum at one time but I cannot remember it so I can't search are old topics for you I"m sorry about that. I cannot for the life of me remember what that condition is called. Why not get a vet's opinion on her before you plan to breed her? She's also very cute by the way. Best wishes to you.

In answer to your Q do they look to be dwarves I would say No. I do not see anything in the pic that would give me the impression either one is a dwarf.

They are tiny and a little on the plump side.

However, if you are asking, and I think you did, if you should/would I breed them? I would not breed a mini that was 26", for me the risk would be too great. I have a 29" mini and she had her first foal this year and she did wonderfully well, but I did not breed her back and may not breed her again, I may, but when breeding the tinies there is a big added risk for them.

If you didn't ask for that opinion sorry just sharing my experience!

They look like very sweet girls! I would think they would be brilliant pets or therapy girls! Lovely little girls!

[SIZE=14pt]I do see some dwarf characteristics... most prominent being her HUGE belly for her size .It is like her insides have grown but her outsides havent. That is a dwarf characteristic. I have been breeding for many years, lost two big mares to bad distocias this year and would never consider breeding a 26 inch mare. I know that Tony has and has had good luck but I dont believe it is a good idea for beginners.... If both of these mares are eating the same etc there is something really wrong with the first one. She has an adorable head but she is long bodied, bloated and short upper limbed woth large joints. These are not good breeding traits.[/SIZE]

Lyn

Hello,

I would like to thank you all for helping us. We are looking forward to you all input.

thanks melissa

To me she looks "NQR" (not quite right)- extremly long, shortish upper limbed, big-jointed and her back (in the 2nd picture) actually looks somewhat roached to me. And the belly is HUGE. To me her head looks a bit "hmm"- but that might just be a camera angle thing.

I'd have the belly evaulated... to me, if that can't be resolved, I'd have to assume it's a dwarf pot belly.

Even if you do get the gut to go down, I'd still be leery of breeding a 26"-27" mare, especially one with those conformational issues. That just would seem like an awfully big can of worms not worth the risk.

[SIZE=14pt]Here is a pic of my 2 dwarves Doll and Pretty Girl.... Doll is the white one and she has a very bad bite. As for Girl her bite is DEAD ON but is obviously a dwarf also with her very short legs. I dont have one of Girls, but here is one of how bad Dolls is.[/SIZE]

April

MVC-877S.jpg

DSC00208.jpg

Dollsteeth.jpg

You have asked for honest opinions from people of experience. Here is mine-- I would not breed either the silver(grey)or the palomino. Although I do not think that the silver could be classified as a dwarf, in my opinion, she does have some conformational features that may well be what I would call "indicators" of dwarfism-as others have said, the oversized belly(which IS one of the characterisics that indicate dwarfism; sometimes part of a syndrome where the intestines(and often, the genitalia, on stallions, especially) are 'too big for'-in other words, not proportionate to- the horse. I am also concerned,on the silver mare, by the VERY short limbs, with coarse, heavy bone structure, the overlong torso, and to a degree, the still-quite-evident forehead bulge. The other mare shares the overlong torso and over-short legs. Even if these are not taken as evidence of minimal expression of dwarf characteristics,I believe that horses of this type of conformation do not fit the accepted standards of excellence in conformational features, and honestly, their offspring would likely be hard to sell for any sort of decent price-AND, would be very unlikely to contribute to the betterment of the miniature horse breed. Also, increasingly, miniatures who sell only at very low prices(if at all)are too often are not really highly regarded by their purchasers, so too often end up neglected and/or cast off or going to killer auctions--very sad, but it is happening.

I must also add that there is NO WAY that I, personally(with 22 years experience in breeding miniatures, and 55 years of using, training, AND breeding horses)would breed ANY 26" mare, even is she were of excellent conformation! I consider it far too risky for the life/health of both mare and possible foal,so I just wouldn't even try it.

Both mares look sweet-natured; I can easily visualize you enjoying them as dear pets!

Margo

You can't see with your eyes the dwarf gene. And it can't be tested yet may in the future

I breed also 27 mares and a 27 stallion, no dwarves

Anita

Hello,

Thank you all for the comments about my fillies. If I was to sell them what is a good price to ask for them. We are wanting to breed good bloodlines and showing minis. The lady we brought this two fillies from in Mississippi told us they were not dwarfs.

Should we ask for our money back on the little 26 inches filly?We have had them both for 2 1/2 yrs.We were planning on breeding them when they were older,until people told me that the little nikki look like a dwarf.

thanks MELISSA

You are being flooded with different opinions here........Hope you aren't getting dizzy.

All I can tell you is what *I* would do as a breeder. (Only been doing it since 1990, so a newbie compared to someone like Margo or Tony G.) I basically agree with Margo.......

First, look at the horse's height. For me that makes me shy-off immediately. But someone like Tony would take it further...... Look at her short back (which is one of the reasons she probably has a bigger belly.). You aren't looking at a lot of room for a foal to grow in there........And look at her hip. She doesn't have a whole lot of substance there either, which means she doesn't have a lot of room in her pelvis for foaling out and you are asking for a birthing problem and a heartbreak.

Your filly's half sister has many of the same problems, although her hip is just slightly better........But if it were me? I would not breed either one of those girls. I would just love them.

MA

PS: Just saw you had posted again........After having them for over 2 years, I doubt you would be able to return them and get your money back unless there was something specific written in a contract about them being breedable. I suspect you are in the middle of learning a hard lesson. You can either keep them as pets or sell them as pets (no papers, of course.) The tough part about selling mares as pets is that you can never be guarranteed that someone down the road won't try breeding them anyway, even without the papers. Wish I had better info to give you.........

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello,

We got this mini almost 2 yrs ago. We were told she was not a dwaft. She has a good bite and all. Everyone lately has told me she looks like a dwaft or with some dwaft signs. She is 2 1/2 yrs old now.We wanted to breed her, but not if you all think she looks or has dwaft signs. She is only 26 inches tall. She is register with AMHA.

dscn8774.jpg

055_55.jpg

thanks for you all help.

melissa
I can't begin to answer your questions, but have one of my own. At what angle are you taking the pictures? Are you standing up and looking down at them when you take the pictures? (Which is how most of them appear to me). Or, are you kneeling down, so you are at their level to take pictures? The reason I ask is that even some normal minis look dwarfish or out of proportion, if you take pictures looking down on them (some worse than others).

She is a cute little mare, but I'd be concerned about the big belly. Is it a dwarf pot belly? Hay Belly? Wormy belly?

Oh, and personally I'd be too scared to breed a 26" mare regardless of how perfect and healthy she was; but that's just me.

hello,

i remove the dam of the palomino filly, because I don't own her.

sorry melissa

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back