Drunk mother sell daughters mini

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RockRiverTiff said:
I really hope you can help this girl! Reading her story brought tears to my eyes. I can't imagine what it would be like to come home and find the only loving presence in your life gone.
I agree. I tried to put myself in this girl's place and while if the alternative is the horse being gone completely I'd eventually be grateful, I think I'd still be upset that some adult I didn't even know had come in and taken my horse because they "knew what was best" for me or "wanted to help." Maybe having that horse outside the house is the only way she can get away from the parties and alcohol and if he's somewhere else she'll be trapped indoors with the drunks. Ultimately it is this girl's decision and as a junior or senior in high school she's old enough to be asked for her opinion. If you want to help her, let her know what's going on and make your offer. Make it now, before Mom can sell the horse to someone else. Then let her decide if she wants you to have the horse and if she'd like to work off the purchase cost so she still owns it or what. Be clear that you're afraid Mom will sell the horse to someone else if the daughter says anything.

Best of luck to both of you. What a rotten situation to happen to such a determined young lady.

Leia

Good luck and keep us posted!!

I agree with everybody else on trying to get the mini out of there and board it for the girl in exchange for help around your place. I am really worried that the Mom or boyfriend will get mad one day and hurt the mini as it sounds like they really hate the little guy! And it sounds like this girl is a good kid and making the best out of a bad situation. It would be great if you could help her out too and help keep her on the path she seems to be on. It seems so sad that all her report cards are out in the barn, her Mom must not care at all. Having that little mini probably helps keep her on track by having something to care for and goals to shoot for. It would be horrible if her Mom took that away from her. Aarrggg, this story makes me so sad.

I so believe in fate and this is FATE. For you to be a mini person and be their at that moment to meet this so called mother was meant to be. God has intervened on this childs behalf. You were the person he chose to help her. Buy the horse get it home and contact the school. I would leave her a letter with your contact info so she can have her beloved horse and you as a mentor. What a gift to you also to have a little helper as I know she would be. You also want to concider these lothsome parents. You need to make sure somehow that you do this for this girl in a way that these people can't bother you and your family. I would get social services and child protection involved. Good luck you are a wonderful person!

hope that you are able to help this girl and her mini really sound like she needs it. Also going through the school might be a good thing too.

Keep us up to date and what is going on with this!

I would wonder how old the daughter is, and who LEGALLY owns the horse? If it has papers, whose name are they in? I agree with contacting the daughter in some way, but would be a bit worried about buying this horse without more info.

What a disgusting situation and how sad. It's obvious where their priorities are... She needs to do more housework and they need more beer money!
default_new_shocked.gif

If you can get hold of the daughter, I wonder if offering to board it for her at your 'location unknown to the parents' would fly? But, if the horse is in the mother's name or the father or whoever, there is not much you can do should they decide to sell it.

My heart breaks for that kid...

If you think the mini is in danger, buy it.

If you think the girl is in danger, call Child Services.

It's not your place to meddle beyond that.

It's clear you are well intentioned, but do you truly believe going to the girl's school or place of work is likely to help? Are you trained or prepared to handle the fallout or reaction from the girl or her mother and dad/boyfriend? You could set off a chain of events that endanger the horse and the girl at an accelerated rate. Sure, that's a worst-case scenario, but it's a possibility based on the information you've provided.

As a foster parent for more than 14 years, I've had some training about how to deal with children in messy family situations. And taking it into my own hands is not an option I'd take. I'd get Child Services involved if I felt the girl was in danger.

Offering the girl the opportunity to visit her mini is a great idea. You can even offer to sell it back to her or give her half-ownership, with the understanding that it stay at your place for safe keeping. But first things first, as they say.

I have given this thought. A suggestion:

Go to Mother and say that you will buy the horse with the condition of speaking w/the person who cares for it. If this happens, say that you will buy w/the condition that she continue to care for horse at your place. Transportation can be worked out, etc. This way, everything is above board and the focus is kept on horse. Then hopefully child will take you up on it, realizing she may lose the horse to someone else.

Gppd luck and I admire you for wanting to take action.

Lildrummer
default_saludando.gif

Bob is right about not trying to handle this yourself.

You have no idea how this girl's family (or the boyfriend) will react toward the girl OR toward you and your own family members if you try to take it in your own hands. I understand wanting to do something but even as licensed foster parents we are mandated reporters meaning............

Mandated reporters are required to report suspected child abuse or maltreatment – or cause a report to be made – when, in their professional roles, they are presented with reasonable cause to suspect abuse or maltreatment.
Of course, anyone can report any suspected abuse or maltreatment at any time, and is encouraged to do so.

Reasonable cause to suspect child abuse or maltreatment means that, based on your observations, professional training and experience, you feel the parent or person legally responsible for a child has harmed that child or placed that child in imminent danger or harm.
Mandated reporters are taught NOT to try and deal with it themselves they are asked to get the appropriate authorities involved to investigate.

If you make a report to child protection they will investigate and if they find she is in need of help or protection they will give it to her.

Having said that......they have been known to investigate with the school and interview children at school and take them into immediate custody. If that would happen, who knows what could happen to the mini. I doubt the mom or boyfriend would take care of it. I always worry about forgotten or neglected pets in this sort of situation. Our current foster daughter is in long term foster care with us and when she first came to us she had a cat that she'd had since she was a little girl that she was very attached to and to this day she isn't sure what exactly happened to it.

This is a tough one, and who says that child protection would do anything at all. Unfortunately the level of neglect, abuse, etc. has to be pretty high these days and even then you would be amazed at the people that manage to get their kids back after having them taken away and being told to clean up their act and the low standards they have to maintain to do so. The other problem is the good kids that are in the rotten situations but managing to stay out of trouble and attend school and get good grades are the ones that fall through the cracks. Ironically if this girl was truant, shoplifting, getting pregnant, committing crimes herself....child protection would be all over the situation and involved in her life.

It would be great for the girl to be able to keep the mini at your house in exchange for doing chores and helping out with your horses. The very tricky thing is how to go about accomplishing that. Your home would be a wonderful safe haven for her and I bet you would become a second family and much better role models than her own family.

Have you ever considered becoming a licensed foster parent? You sound like a great candidate and like you would be wonderful foster parents.

Kids in the system get a bad rap but for the most part they are good kids and it is the parents that are all screwed up and the kids are victims of the circumstance. We've done foster care for long enough now that we have former foster kids that are grown adults themselves and we see now more than we did back then what a difference we made for them and we've had them tell us so as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok so my Dad was a mean vicious person. I had a wonderful dog and came home one day to find he had taken into the woods and shot it. Why? Because I spent too much time running the fields with my dog away from him. Then he got a dog and I spent too much time with that dog so he took it in the woods and shot it. He forced the sale of my horse when I was 12yrs old because I spent too much time riding my horse. This was all out of my control. In my case no alcohol involved just an evil evil person. My mom just looked the other way during this as she had her own battles to fight. I share this because. No one and I mean no one stepped up to help me in any way. Those who knew were too young and had survived themselves.

You can be such a blessing to this young lady. She is not a child she is a young lady who loves her horse. I know how it feels to spend time with such a friend to avoid the horror that awaits from the humans you are supposed to trust. If you can meet her without her knowing who you are and why you should get a feeling for what kind of person she is. I'm guessing this is her last year of school and she will be on her own. With no help from her parents obviously. Maybe she could stay with you or someone you know and help you with your horses and at the same time learn from you and what good homes are made of. Believe me if this horse is separating this young lady from the people in her life they will find a way to get rid of it. God Forbid it is probably the only thing she has that brings light into her life at this moment. It gives her a reason to get up in the morning and still be here on this earth to go to bed at night. I really do understand that.

God Bless you for caring!

I really appreciate everyones imput. I spoke w/a friend of mine who runs a couple of horse shows locally and asked if she knows of this girl/horse ( I described her horse because I know they only have 3 or 4 minis that show at the lee Civic Center). And there was a girl at a horse show in a picture that was in her barn. I did call her Mom again this afternoon and told her I may still be interrested in her horse and that I would really feel more comfortable speaking w/her daughter. I did mention that I may even be able to give her daughter part time work....that seemed to peak Moms attention. I will say however on the phone today the Mom did not sound the way she did on Fri. Perhaps it really was just one heavy night of partying.....although my heart is saying not!! I left it with her Mom to please have her daughter call me ASAP. I told her to please call me if anyone else is interrested in the horse and she said she would. I am hoping XXX will call tonight or tomorrow....plan on not mentioning anything other than having maybe some work for her around the barn and just let her know I would love to another horse around....just to see what her reaction is. Will keep every one posted, Heidi

This makes me so upset! Every child deserves good parents. Parents that love them and take care of them. By the sounds of this, she's taking care of herself. Kudos to you for caring. I sure hope you can help her.
default_unsure.png

Oh I hope you can help this poor girl, I feel so sorry for her and the little mini she takes such good care of. Please keep us updated, I will keep her and you in my prayers.

God Bless

Yvonne

Well, I can tell you that if the Child Services are like they are here- they are worthless. The parents sit and lie and make the kids lie (or they kids fear they will get the crap beat out of them so do it) and Child Services goes away with no further attention or input and the kids live in absolute HE** for telling. (And of course all others involved were lying too, no matter how many or who it was)

Child Services here are a JOKE, so don't count on them to help much when it's needed.

I hope things work out, and I really feel sorry for the kid. Shortpig that was an awful awful story, but I know some that enjoy being that way and they find it amusing to be evil, and nothing is ever going to change that. That's just the way they are.

I read your post and all the responses to it and am sitting here trying to think how to say that I am SO terribly sorry that this young lady seems to be about to lose her best friend. I also want to tell you how very much I admire you for being concerned about the situation. I don't have any advice for you......just a ton of admiration!

I really appreciate everyones imput. I spoke w/a friend of mine who runs a couple of horse shows locally and asked if she knows of this girl/horse ( I described her horse because I know they only have 3 or 4 minis that show at the lee Civic Center). And there was a girl at a horse show in a picture that was in her barn. I did call her Mom again this afternoon and told her I may still be interrested in her horse and that I would really feel more comfortable speaking w/her daughter. I did mention that I may even be able to give her daughter part time work....that seemed to peak Moms attention. I will say however on the phone today the Mom did not sound the way she did on Fri. Perhaps it really was just one heavy night of partying.....although my heart is saying not!! I left it with her Mom to please have her daughter call me ASAP. I told her to please call me if anyone else is interrested in the horse and she said she would. I am hoping XXX will call tonight or tomorrow....plan on not mentioning anything other than having maybe some work for her around the barn and just let her know I would love to another horse around....just to see what her reaction is. Will keep every one posted, Heidi

Good luck.........but don't count on hearing anything for sure by going through the "mother".

(IMO) going through the school may be the best, under the circumstances.

Oh Shortpig, your story has me in tears. I am so sorry.
That is not what I wanted. I just wanted people to understand that not every child has a good upbringing. I have actually done pretty well for myself against many odds. When children come out of these kinds of H**l holes they can be helped over the hump if they find someone who can show them how it should be. I was lucky enough to end up with a very caring sister-in-law as an adult. She had a wonderful childhood so I got to watch her and my brother raise their two daughters and learn from them. My daughter had a great upbringing and I'm proud of that. I trust animals way more than people and that will never change. I am soft and gentle with animals and they trust me. This girl seems to be involved with this little horse in much the same way. She shouldn't lose her best friend because of the home situation she has.

I sure hope she too will find someone who cares about her.

Ok, it is an unfortunate situation.

Unless you talk with the girl, there is not much you can do.

The situation as bad as it seems, you don't know the whole story.

People have problems!

Obviously the horse is something special in the girls life, and the fact that it is taken care of proves that!

If you take away that then what will she have?

Perhaps the mother was having a bad day.

They are obviously jealous of the horse.

I think your best course of action is to call the school and speak with the girls counselor, tell the situation and let the counsler handle it from there. The counselor can talk to the girl and is better prepared to discern if there is any other trouble to be concerned about.

One bad day does not entitle the world to judge!

If you think the mini is in danger, buy it.
If you think the girl is in danger, call Child Services.

It's not your place to meddle beyond that.

It's clear you are well intentioned, but do you truly believe going to the girl's school or place of work is likely to help? Are you trained or prepared to handle the fallout or reaction from the girl or her mother and dad/boyfriend? You could set off a chain of events that endanger the horse and the girl at an accelerated rate. Sure, that's a worst-case scenario, but it's a possibility based on the information you've provided.
In my opinion, this is by far the most sensible reply you've received.

I think you may possibly have read a whole lot more into the situation than what there is, based just on a short meeting with this woman in the feed store (was she there to buy horse feed or what?) and later at her home. You said when you spoke with her on the phone yesterday, she did not sound like she did on Friday, so perhaps it was an isolated incident.

How do you know the girl is unhappy or in danger? How do you know that SHE would feel better having her horse living somewhere 30 minutes away? How and how often would she be able to go and visit it? At least now it's in her back yard so she can do her chores and visit with her horse anytime she's at home. Would you be able to count on this woman or her man to drive the girl to your place? Or would you be willing and able to drive her back and forth every day?

Clearly your intentions are good, and bless your heart for caring, but I think everyone would be much better off if you kept your distance.... at least until you have ALL the facts, and not just a bunch of assumptions. IF the home situation is truly as bad as the conclusion you've jumped to, how can it possibly help the girl to lose her horse?

Back