Drunk mother sell daughters mini

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LittleRibbie

Reaction score
Friday I went to buy shavings and as I always do, went to read the the posted classified board they have in the back of the store. As I was standing there ( about 10:00 A.M. ) I woman came over and was also reading them. She reaked of booze and was even slurring her words when she started to talk to me. She was really trying hard not to slur and stand but was having a tough time of it. Any way, somehow I mentioned mini horse and she told me she had one and would be glad to sell it to me. It was strange...she asked me nothing about where I lived or anything about my horses and didint seem to know too much about the mini she wanted to sell me. She wrote down her tel. # and told me to call her if I wanted another horse. When she walked away I got a real uneasy feeling about this mini. All I could think about was seeing this poor little thing, most likely wormy, skinny and just sort of uncared for.......only because this woman was drunk at 10:00 in the A.M. and she couldnt answer any questions I asked about him. Basically these were her answers to a couple of my guestions. Is it a little mare, gelding or stud?

"He's a boy"

Is he gelded?

"He's been fixed, and he's pedigreed too"

You mean he's registered?

" I think so...he has papers"

Anyway, I had her tel. # and when she walked away I just knew I was going to call her and at the least go see what condition her horse was in. I was trying to think of how I was going to tell my husband that I might be bringing home another neglected horse. Well when I was walking to my car she came over to me ( this time w/her husband or boyfriend ) and told me she didint live to far from here and said I could follow her to her house. Well I told her I would meet her there b/c I had a few things to do 1st. He was driving and did not appear to be drunk.

I got to her house about a 45 min. later. The outside of her house was really just sort of a mess, lots of old cars, empty garbage cans all tipped over....really tall grass and just sort of a mess and no signs of a horse/barn or any thing else horse related from what I could see. When I knocked on the door someone yelled come in and when I opened the door there was someone passed out on the couch w/ television turned up very loud The woman came out of the kitchen area....it was pretty obvious that there are ALOT of parties going on here...all you could smell was stale smoke and booze. She told me the horse was out back and she wanted to get 200.00 for him, the guy she was with earlier came out ( now he has a beer in his hand )and said

if I couldnt catch him he would help....he said " that little horse is a little sh$%#."

I said I'd be fine...I just wanted to see him. She said the barn was out back and go see him for yourself. I went out back and sure enough there was the mini.....

This horse was in WONDERFUL condition, Beautiful Coat, fly mask, there was a fly sheet hanging on the fence. No halter on him but it looked like a fairly new one on the hook. Someone does take great care of this horse and he couldnt be too hard to catch because he wasnt wearing the halter and someone is grooming and caring for this horse a great deal!! You could see on one side of the yard where they must lunge him alot as there is the worn grass to show it. Now my mind is going a mile a minute.....this does not add up.....this lady already told me she never goes out to even see the horse....but someone must!! Now Im getting curious. I walk over and peek in the barn area. Its not really a barn but someone did construct a crude shelter/stall and tack and feed room. The stall had nice clean shaving!! clean water bucket and there was all sorts of medications, grooming supplies, brushes and just things that we all have on hand. Now I didnt want to be too nosey but I was really looking and tring to figure out what was going on. Well on the wall someone had taped up a sort of health record which listed vet stuff, feeding and farrier work but there was also about 8 report cards from the local high school. All with a girls name XXX and they were from sophmore to junior high school. The grades were all A's with a couple B's. This girl is SMART!! There were also pictures of her or maybe a friend holding her horse in what looked like a couple of horse shows. 3 Bales of hay, plenty of shavings and everything points to a horse that is friendly and VERY WELL taken care of.

I went back to the house and didnt want to act like I just snooped thru her whole barn ( but I did ) and asked about the person that takes care of the horse ....wondering why she wouldnt offer to sell it to her. She said " Oh, thats my daughter...its her horse...she's works almost every day after school. I asked if I could come by and talk to her daughter...she sort of got secretive and wouldnt answer my ???s. No, she didnt want me talking to her and if I wanted the horse I could only pick him up when she was at work or at school. The womans boyfriend/husband piped up and said...xxx is always out in the GD barn w/ the little sh%$ ball horse and should be doing more around the house...all said proudly holding his friggin Old Milwaukee can !!

WELL MAYBE THIS YOUNG LADY STAYS OUT IN HER LITTLE BARN WITH HER ADORABLE LITTLE HORSE FOR A REASON!! MAYBE THIS GIRL IS WORKING EVERYDAY TO TAKE CARE OF THE ONE THING THAT IS IMPORTANT TO HER. THIS GIRL IS A GREAT STUDENT BUT JUST LIVES IN A BAD SITUATION. I WOULD GIVE HER A MEDAL!!

I think this mother is tring to sell her own daughters horse to pay for her booze and perhaps ( no proof ) other drugs and ...it makes me sick to my stomach. The mother mentioned where I think this girl works and I already know from the report cards on the wall where she goes to school.

I came home and told my husband of the story and he said I should really stay out of it....although he was sympathetic. But I just feel I should do something to let this girl know what her mother is trying to do.....I dont think this is a child welfare case but I dont know and Im just at a major loss as to what to do. I went from wanting to help what I thought would be a neglected horse to reaching out to a young girl. Please if any one has ideas of what I should do please respond...Im at a complete loss and need advice. Thanks so much. Im afraid this women will find someone willing to buy her daughters horse and I dont even want to think about what it would do to her poor daughter!!

Sorry about the long post. Heidi

Last edited by a moderator:
Yikes! Can you stop thier as a surpise when the daughter is home? Or perhaps ask if the daughter would be upset. I feel soo bad!!! I feel sooo bad. It sounds like this little girl does everything in her power to keep this mini. Please keep us posted.

Maybe you could leave a message at the school that you are interested in purchasing her miniature horse that has been offered for sale.

Sounds like a bad situation but the young girl seems to be making the best of it.

Maybe if she didn't live far from you she could have her horse at your place and do chores for you to offset the board?

I come from a law-enforcement background and have children of my own. Buy the horse in secret, take it home, contact the girl after the fact, and then let her have free access to it. If you tell her first, she will strike out at her mother and then who knows what abuse will happen. Also, they may end up selling to someone less sympathetic. Then, after you have the horse, call childrens services immediately and tell them that you think the girl is in danger and needs safe shelter. I know this sounds extreme, but so does this situation. Save the horse and the girl. I would if I lived closer. As far as your husband goes, I am pleased he is sypmathetic, but where children are concerned, NEVER STAY OUT OF IT. That is why so many go on being abused, because we all stay out of it. All children are our business; they are our future, and she sounds like she has one.

Kinda what I was thinking if you are not far away she could keep it there and exchange board and chores and keep her mini safe from mom. They will find a way to sell it for sure and then if that girl is working she can give them her paycheck and clean up after them
default_no.gif
instead of the mini ...o.k. I am doing a sllllooooowww burn thinking about it.
default_shutup.gif
One way or the other they will sell it to get the money out of it
default_luck.gif

I'd offer $100 (she'd probably take it), get the horse out of there, and then contact the daughter. That's pathetic that the mother is trying to do this. Reminds me of the story MY mother told me about her mother giving away the family dog without telling anyone. It really upset my mother as a child is probably the reason why we had so many pets growing up!
default_smile.png

Yes, I too was wondering if you could go ahead and buy the little guy and then somehow contact the little girl and work out an arrangement with her. It sounds like the mother is going to sell her horse either way and most people wouldn't be as sympathetic as you.

I have no idea about your situation or the girls, but if you could meet the daughter, and if you have the place or know of onewhere maybe she could keep the mini, away from the drunken fools. Then the girl would have somewhere to go be away from the drunks too. She could even claim to sell the mini, before her mom does. I feel bad for this girl how terrible it would be to come home and find her (probably) best friend gone to who knows where.

I swear I hate people sometimes! So cruel and inconsiderate. ( even to her own child, thats even worse- Hardant, no feelin' cold drunken witch)

And I honestly trust animals more than people, never been intentionally hurt by an animal. Sounds goofy but true! I find it easier to read animals than people to easy for people to lie.

My son asked me if I new what the most dangerous/ deadly animal in OHIO was, in science class they say it is the deer because of all the deers hit on the road. Well, then I had to give him my answer, People are w/o a doubt the most deadly and dangerous animals in the whole world!

The most deer accidents are during hunting season-people are running the deer, deer just trying to survive.

And people are wasteful and hoggin' up all the land, wild animals have no where to go to get away from us.

Ok didn't mean to go off topic or to rant but I did sorry!

I pray all goes well for this girl, her mini, and you! I'm sure it is waying on you too.

Please let us know if you find out anything else.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh gosh. My first instinct was to not get involved too until I read the other posts. I think those are wonderful ideas and you may just save this young womans life!

Even if she cannot see this horse each day or even work off her board for you, she is working and would offer to help you I'm sure. The new price is good and will probably be accepted. Make sure you get the "papers" on this horse so that mom can't come back on you for it, and a bill of sale. See if she will include all its tack, blankets, halters etc.

I don't blame this young lady, I would stay at the barn all the time too..........very sad but you could really make a difference in this young ladys life. If it does not work, you will have at least done all you can do to help. I know how hard this is for you.

My most memorable experience when I was growing up was with a woman who befriended me during a stressful time of my life. She was a horsewoman and I will NEVER FORGET HER and how she helped me!

I am with the others, at the very least call CPS. It appears to me this kid is a survivor based on the care of that horse and her grades, and working hard. She is raising herself right now and deserves a chance to live in a safe, secure environment, not like Cinderella and the wicked stepmother/father.

I would try to leave a message where you think this gal works to contact you, and offer to her some sort of arrangement with her keeping the horse at your place, as was suggested.

IMO, you have been given the opportunity here to possibly make a really positive difference in this gals life.

I kind of have a situation close to that. My youngest brother threatens his 11 year old daughter with selling her horses. The thing is He can't. I have put into place safeguards. The horses are all on my property and in both her name and mine. I know what alcohol can do and how people can act while under the influance of it. He gets so brutal and mean about the horses and he doesn't even pay for feed. The problem you are faceing is if the horse is registered and in the parents names he actually belongs to them. If the horse is in the daughters name then they have no right to sell. Also, about how old is the girl? Good luck.

My heart is breaking for that poor girl. If I lived closer I would take both in!! Maybe you can contact the school counselor and talk to her and then she can talk to the girl. Or if you know where this girl works leave a note for her about what is going on, and that you are willing to help if possible. Definately try and help.

I notice that was Friday, and today is Monday, maybe try calling the Lady today.

Might just want to see if you can talk to the daughter first.

Good Luck, not sure what advice to give here?

Thanks everyone. I knew I had to do something and all your ideas are right along the same ideas as mine. Her place is about 30 minutes from my house and she is more than welcome to bring her horse here ( I would trailer for her )...just dont know if she has a car to come visit...and I really cant imagine she does but maybe. We own a business and this is getting to be my busy season so my horses do seem to get alittle less attention paid to them than I would like and I would love to have this girl around to help ( gosh her little horse looked better than mine do this A.M and I think my horses look great LOL ). It would be a win win situation for us IMO. I just think I need to speak w/her before buying her little guy but I have to approach her in a manner as to not letting her know what I drunken #$#% her mother appears to be ( after all it is HER mother )...I read all the classifieds Craigslist,horse, and local papers and have not seen her horse listed so I think the mother is just sort of mentioning selling him to people to see if she can get a buck!! I looked up the # for her H.S. and am thinking of calling or going to the school and perhaps her guidence counselor could relay a message to her.. I thought of maybe asking the counselor to speak w/her about someone( me) needing help w/minis and maybe the counselor thought of "her" b/c she has a mini. My mind is going crazy. I even thought of going to dinner at the rest. she works at and asking to sit in her station and just casually bringing up the subject of horses and just get a feel of what might be going on. She may already know her mom wants the horse gone and is looking for 'help" Thanks again for the ideas and I will keep you posted!!

My husband is used to me by now and I know would welcome this horse to our home w/open arms and carrots! We just need to see what we can do for XXX. Heidi

What a sad horrible situation, please keep us updated on what happens. Everyone here had some great ideas, I hope some good can come from this.
default_no.gif
That poor girl.

Good for you for caring!!! I think going to the school counselor is the BEST idea. Let the counselor know what is going on and perhaps the person can be a "go-between". And leave your phone number incase the girl wants to contact you. Having the school counselor involved is important, IMO. No matter how things play out, things could be unpleasant for the girl and the school should be aware of her situation.

Please keep us posted! This young gal deserves a break, from all you describe.

My parents took in a high school student under a similar home environment (but without the horse......it was a dog, instead.). She was a good student, had a job, and was basically taking care of herself AND her mother -- also an alcoholic. She never allowed her friends from school to visit because she never knew what condition she'd find her mother or the house in when she got home.........I was away at college, so she stayed in my room. She graduated from high school with honors and my parents gifted her some money to help her go off to college........She's done very well for herself too..........Married a Canadian, is a photo-journalist, and writes romance novels on the side! LOL! (I shudder to think what may have happened to her if she hadn't gotten out of her living conditions.)

I really hope you can help this girl! Reading her story brought tears to my eyes. I can't imagine what it would be like to come home and find the only loving presence in your life gone. Please please keep us updated on this story--my stomach is in a knot just worrying that the mom will find a buyer.

Latest posts

Back