Driving

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cowgurl_up

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I am in the process of teaching my boy to drive and I would love to see everyones driving pictures! Also, if you drive at shows, please explain to me what the different driving classes are?!?!
default_wink.png
I have no idea where my boy would fit for driving classes. He reminds me of a little western pleasure horse with his head carried more level and a little pitter patter trot.
default_wub.png

I can't wait to see pictures!!!

Here are a few of my training to drive pictures. This was her fist time that we tried it and she was great. hope to do it again soon. not sure when though. cant wait to see every one's pictures!

As you can see Fancy is very fuzzy right now...
default_rolleyes.gif

GroundDriving016.jpg

GroundDriving008.jpg

GroundDriving030.jpg

GroundDriving032.jpg

Fancy Me, your horse is quite pretty
default_yes.gif
and you've got some great and appropriate equipment on her but may I make a suggestion? Try running the lines through the lowest loops down on her sides as this helps prevent her from spinning to face you and allows you to keep better contact on the reins while she gets through the inevitable green horse sillies. Move back to the highest rings right before you switch to the driving saddle and actually get her ready to hitch. The higher the rings = the more advanced the horse. Using lower rings lets you use the rein to help hold her hip on the circle and teach her to bend. You might also move the surcingle back just a little bit.

I want to post some of my newer combined driving pictures but don't have them loaded yet so I'll settle for the only recent photo I do have online.

KodyBeach.jpg

Here are two show pictures from July:

IMG_8131web.jpg

IMG_8129web.jpg

Both of those were taken at the Beavercreek CDE during the cones section where cantering is allowed.

Leia

Last edited by a moderator:
Fancy Me, your horse is quite pretty
default_yes.gif
and you've got some great and appropriate equipment on her but may I make a suggestion? Try running the lines through the lowest loops down on her sides as this helps prevent her from spinning to face you and allows you to keep better contact on the reins while she gets through the inevitable green horse sillies. Move back to the highest rings right before you switch to the driving saddle and actually get her ready to hitch. The higher the rings = the more advanced the horse. Using lower rings lets you use the rein to help hold her hip on the circle and teach her to bend. You might also move the surcingle back just a little bit.
OOHHH that makes sense!!!!!! :DOH!
default_yes.gif

I was the one holding the reigns in those pics, and thus was I who assemble it that way. And she did, in fact, turn around to face me, now i see why! Thanks for the tip Leia, will do next time.

I'm getting my Ghost driving here soon too, will post pics when our cart comes.

Green horses will definitely turn around on you and they'll still try to do it with the lines run low. It's just easier to stop them that way and at least if they succeed your reins won't be all twisted up!
default_laugh.png
It also helps keep your surcingle centered. A harness saddle has a gullet and shaped pads (or at least it should) that keep it in place against any lateral force. A shapeless nylon surcingle like we both have will simply spin around the barrel if you apply pressure with the reins in the top rings, vastly limiting its usability for double-longing (making the horse move around you instead of following behind them.) Believe me, I've been very glad Kody has a solid "Whoa" the few times that's happened to me! It's a lot easier to run the lines down the sides and use the one around the butt to keep their body straight while they're learning their job.

Now back to your regularly scheduled topic! Sorry about the hijack Cowgurl Up.
default_blush.png

Leia

Great pictures!! No problem at all Leia! I am learning too as my boy goes. I have helped teach big horses to drive, but was always assisted. This is my first attempt by myself! Any advice is always appriciated!!!!

Lucky you to have snow to sled in!
default_biggrin.png
No snow where I live!

Here's a couple of mine:

tumble5.jpg

cracker8.jpg

You can see more pics of horses driving at here

Neither can I!!! And I think he feels the same way..hurry up harness!

Oh, I clipped him yesterday, he looks super! Really Golden, will try get a piccy for you tomorrow..I am SO lucky!!!

ETA..sorry for hi-jacking the thread! I'll stop now

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't have any driving pics myself, and I am early into training my mare but we just took our first ground driving trip down the road and she was a champ. I'm enjoying seeing all the pics posted, can't wait for more!

Is that a Hyperbike cart? I LOVE IT. I want one, but... is it hard to get in and out of them? Just looking at the pictures I can't figure out in my mind any graceful way of getting in and out. lol.

Here is fun winter driving!!

cammypictars074-1.jpg

OH!!! That looks fun! I'd love to have runners for my cart.

Warpony said:
Is that a Hyperbike cart? I LOVE IT. I want one, but... is it hard to get in and out of them? Just looking at the pictures I can't figure out in my mind any graceful way of getting in and out. lol.
Yes, that's my Hyperbike. It's way too much fun! I couldn't figure out how to get in at first either, but then again I had the same experience with my first show cart.
default_laugh.png
With the horse hitched and ready to go and the reins in your hand you approach from the wheel area and step over the shaft behind the stirrup and in front of the wheel. Once that foot is on the ground you shift your weight to it, step over with the other leg, then sit down and put each foot up in the stirrup. It's pretty quick and easy once you get the hang of it! Just make sure your horse stands well before attempting this. What is easy with a stationary horse becomes suicidal if they start lunging forward (I know this from experience).
default_rolleyes.gif

Leia

Warpony said:
Yes, that's my Hyperbike. It's way too much fun! I couldn't figure out how to get in at first either, but then again I had the same experience with my first show cart.
default_laugh.png
With the horse hitched and ready to go and the reins in your hand you approach from the wheel area and step over the shaft behind the stirrup and in front of the wheel. Once that foot is on the ground you shift your weight to it, step over with the other leg, then sit down and put each foot up in the stirrup. It's pretty quick and easy once you get the hang of it! Just make sure your horse stands well before attempting this. What is easy with a stationary horse becomes suicidal if they start lunging forward (I know this from experience).
default_rolleyes.gif

Leia

Thanks for the walk through. Doesn't sound too hard just a little awkward. I REALLY want a hyperbike, hehehe.

Of My Geldings short 2007 Driving Career
default_wub.png
default_rolleyes.gif
Why does he have to be a dork he was so good when he was being Good in the harness LOL
default_wub.png

weedrivemerry.jpg

mctweeman.jpg

Love His Beautiful Neck In This One
default_wub.png

weemandressage.jpg

CDE- Water Hazard, On The Trail.

weemanxcountry.jpg

weemantrials.jpg

weemanavatr.jpg

Great pictures everyone!!! And I am learning so much extra! I love the sleigh runners!!! And now I know what a hyperbike looks like!!!

Anybody else with pictures?

Oh! I've got LOTS! Here are some that I already have uploaded though:

Diva:

diva3.jpg
diva4.jpg
diva2.jpg

traildrive1.jpg
traildrive3.jpg

divatarp.jpg
divashow.jpg

Annie: (this is an old one!)

annie2.jpg

And even older, driving my trainer's QH Buddy:

BuddyWarrenFair03.jpg

And even OLDER, about 5 years back driving a Gypsy Vanner gelding aptly named Bandit (that my trainer was training):

Bandit%20driving%20left%202%20scan.jpg

Trainer Sue and Bandit:

Bandit%20trotting%20in%20ring.jpg

Here's my old driving instructer's website, she's got some awesome big horses that drive:

http://www.combineddriving.com/

Neat pictures!!! You have very pretty horses! I love the biggies too! I am going to be one of those goofy people who has miniature, of course a couple of QH/Paints, and a couple big ones. I would love to have a Gypsy Vanner or a Friesian!

Erica's Jesse James of WallStreet- 2007 National Grand Champion Single Pleasure Driving

National%20Washburn%20_0018.jpg

nationals_0019.jpg

nationals_0020.jpg

35" Country pleasure horse-

q5.jpg

scan0004-3.jpg

q2.jpg

CP under gelding who is currently for sale-

scan0005.jpg

Latest posts

Back