Driving Workshop

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Minxiesmom

Reaction score
The Driving Workshop was held last Sunday at Pax Diem in Eagle Point, OR. WOW! What a successful event. Total attendance was 7 beginners and 5 experience drivers. We had folks from as far away as Redding, CA and Bonanza, OR. This was a "Friends Helping Friends" type of workshop, designed to encourage people that haven't found the right motivation to take private lessons with a "professional" trainer, or just wanting to get their horses out after a long winter layoff.

Lisa Brostad from the Horse Blanket and myself were the "coaches" this time. We divided the day into morning for beginners and afternoon for experienced drivers. The morning started out with me doing a demonstration of long lining with Max. I feel this is an important part of attaining collection in my horse and wanted to at least expose people to it. We then used Max to demo harnessing. We explained the different type of collars and how they work. Lisa did a good job of explaining the difference between over-checks and side-checks. Breeching fit was discussed, along with thimbles. It seemed to take a long time explaining harnessing. A lot of really great questions were asked by the workshop attendees and we felt it was important for people to understand "why" "it" is done a certain way.

After the initial demo, we asked the beginners to bring their horses in to harness. This task was completed with the coaches helping to adjust for fit and safety. Lisa demonstrated how to tell if a cart is balanced and let a few people feel the weight in the shafts as someone sat in the cart. Each person then put to their various carts.

A hour was spent with coaches making suggestions to drivers on how and what to do to achieve their goals with their driving horses. Safety and ring etiquette were discussed and practiced. We got a fun surprise from Jan when her horse started doing passage down the rail!!! When I commented on how cool that was, she had him do spanish walk!!! What was she doing with the beginners??? She explained she taught him this with clicker training. Maybe we should have a workshop on "clicker training"? I believe we thoroughly tired out the beginner horses. Handlers and horses alike, improved greatly.

The experienced drivers were milling about, ready to get with it. After a quick bite of lunch for the coaches, we went right into the afternoon session. We did an inspection of how the horses were harnessed, making only a couple of adjustments. Lisa came to the rescue on figuring out how to do-up and undone French Tug. There was a little excitement when one horse that hadn't been used all winter, decided to be a little broncy when put to. Luckily, quick thinking and experienced hands stopped it from becoming disaster. A good lesson should have been learned from this experience, and that is, even with an experienced driving horse, sometimes "stuff" happens. Be prepared!!!

Not being professional trainers, Lisa and I were not sure what we could bring to the table for the experienced drivers. As it worked out, having outside eyes watching the experienced horses, helped the drivers see where they needed to be (in our opinion). If nothing else, these horses got a good workout in a safe arena.

In my opinion, from beginner to experienced driver, the main challenge was not pushing our horses and asking for enough. It seemed we all have a tendency to just be go along for the ride and not being "with" the horse enough! Just as in a riding horse, we have to help the horse stay "in frame".

Everyone was asking, "When are we going to do this again?" I guess that meant they all enjoyed themselves and learned a little bit. We will try to find a free weekend to try another workshop, but with the show season upon us, that may not be easy. I encourage all to take a lesson from a qualified trainer. I know I always get so much when I take a lesson, and will never stop learning. There is always someone that knows more than us and hopefully, we can glean knowledge from them!

I love my mini and all my mini friends!

What....no pictures????
default_new_shocked.gif
I'm so bummed that I missed it! Sounds like everyone had a great time and a good learning experience. Marestare sure is putting a crimp in my life!
default_no.gif

What....no pictures????
default_new_shocked.gif
I'm so bummed that I missed it! Sounds like everyone had a great time and a good learning experience. Marestare sure is putting a crimp in my life!
default_no.gif
Sorry, Sandy! Not enough hands to do all we did and take pictures also...besides...forgot my camera!
default_oops.gif
I wish your mare would hurry up and pop!

A lot of really great questions were asked by the workshop attendees and we felt it was important for people to understand "why" "it" is done a certain way.
This is exactly right! I have found that if people know WHY something is done the way it is done, then they are more likely to remember how and why to do it! "Because that is how it is done" is NOT a good reason in my mind! Everything should have a logical reason.

Not being professional trainers, Lisa and I were not sure what we could bring to the table for the experienced drivers. As it worked out, having outside eyes watching the experienced horses, helped the drivers see where they needed to be (in our opinion). If nothing else, these horses got a good workout in a safe arena.

Didn't you find that YOUR eye became more "critical" as an instructor vs. a learner? I have had my more advanced students teach the beginners in some lessons, because then they learn to pay attention to things they didn't before in their own riding/driving.

In my opinion, from beginner to experienced driver, the main challenge was not pushing our horses and asking for enough. It seemed we all have a tendency to just be go along for the ride and not being "with" the horse enough! Just as in a riding horse, we have to help the horse stay "in frame".

I am probably guilty of this at times. In essence, this is the big difference between the Novice Driver/Whip division and the Open division around here. The Open drivers drive their horses MUCH harder! I have talked with people that want to take their young horses in the Open division because they think it will be safer driving with experienced horses and Whips vs. less experienced horses and Whips, until I tell them that the experienced drivers won't exactly run you over, but they sure aren't going to putter around behind your horse who's fluffing around on the rail. They will blow past you like a race car! That type of driving can "unnerve" a young horse. ALWAYS show in your own comfort zone until you know what you are getting into! In 2005 when my husband had to make the jump into Open Horse from Novice, he got his tail kicked his first show after the jump! Then it was "get good or get out" time! (VSEs don't have a Novice or Open split around here, so I haven't had to make any jump, but I have shown in Open Pony, and that too was an experience!)

We need to do more of this type of driving clinic around here. What a great idea!

Myrna

Sounds like it was an awesome clinic Diane! I really wish you and I lived closer as it would be a blast to do this sort of thing together.
default_wub.png

Minxiesmom said:
We got a fun surprise from Jan when her horse started doing passage down the rail!!! When I commented on how cool that was, she had him do spanish walk!!! What was she doing with the beginners??? She explained she taught him this with clicker training. Maybe we should have a workshop on "clicker training"?
That's awesome!
default_thumbup.gif

I'm working on that sort of stuff with my older gelding. Kody has fought me on groundwork all these years as he was of the firmly-held opinion that I was simply being a b*itch and pushing him around for no reason and his reaction was to go as stiff as a board and fight me every step of the way unless he was in the cart. I never could get through to him that we could work together in-hand and have as much fun as when we were driving. Clicker training gave me a way to "reframe the question" so he could get past the resistance and see it as a game. He is finally, FINALLY getting it and beginning to act as my dance partner with correct lateral moves off a softly draped lead and showing self-collection. He was AMAZING the other night and we had a real moment where he got it absolutely, completely correct and I showered him with praise and love and stopped. Last night he came into his stall where I was working, collected himself and did a perfect haunches in down the long wall then halted and pricked his ears like "See, Mom? I got it!" I dropped to my knees and hugged him. What else could I do??

Leia

Thanks Diane and Lisa!!!

Hubby Mark and I were there and it was awesome!!! You two ladies Rock and we love you!!! We learned tons and had a great time!!! Can't wait for the next clinic!!! Hint Hint!!! These ladies know their stuff and are faboulous teachers!!!!

Sounds awesome. I am to the point where I can harness, ground drive, drive in the field. But am scared to go in public that I am doing it terribly wrong! My horses and I are comfortable and we are good with that. I have my little grey stallion though, and would like to see him in the ring driving someday. He loves to prance.

Back