Driving Whips?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThreeCFarm

Reaction score
Where do you mini drivers buy your driving whips? I bought one from Ozark when I first got started, but it is too short. I can only reach my horses' croups with it. To reach their barrels, I have to REALLY stretch and lean forward.

P.S. It needs to be suitable for the show ring, so no "funny" colors, please!

We just go to any tack shop. They carry whips of all lengths and you should be able to find one suitable for you.

Don't know about you but where we live we don't have any tack shops! We are limited to catalogs and Ebay. Also the co-op. It's very hard for some of us who have no local trainer, mentors, mini neighbors, might as as well say pretty well going it alone.

That's why we're on the forum so much.

Maxine

We buy ours at the tack shops that carry them . You have to be carful and be sure you can touch there off shoulder we ran in to this at 4h they will disquaify you if you have to short of whip. When you make it to state level they watch everyone for that .

All I've seen at the tack shops around here are lunge whips, and "bats." Maybe I need to go up to the OKC Stockyards or something.

I just use a dressage whip. I think it is the same thing really, and they come in all different sizes. You can find them in most catalogs I think.

I think I got mine at Estate Supply at Nationals and I LOVE it. I keep forgetting every Nationals to buy another one in case I lose this beloved one.

Andrea

I've bought whips from State Line and various places, but I got one from Estate too at World, and it's wonderful. It's a little longer than what I used, and it has more spring, for lack of a better word.

Jan

Jan and Andrea, did you get the 45" or the 48" whip from Estate? I think my whip is "supposed" to be 44", but it is short when I'm in the cart. I'll have to do some measuring tomorrow when I drive again.

lt was my understanding at a carded show a whip could not be longer then 4 feet.

Relic, I don't think I've ever seen a max length, but I believe you are supposed to be able to reach your horse's shoulder with the whip. I'd fall on top of my horse's butt if I tried doing that!

I don't live with my horses, so I can't do any measuring until tomorrow. I'll measure my whip and see what I get it at, and go from there. Are you supposed to measure just to the end of the "shaft," or include the lash too? I was just at the Driving Essentials website, and they have a mini whip that says it is 45" to the bow--would that be to the end of what I'm calling the shaft?

I just use a dressage whip. I think it is the same thing really, and they come in all different sizes. You can find them in most catalogs I think.
Dressage whips are balanced for the tip to be pointed down and I find that if you use them for driving and you drive for any distance your hand gets tired trying to keep it up. Driving whips are balanced for the tip to be up and are much more comfortable to use. I use anywhere from a 42" plus lash to a 48" plus lash depending on the size of horse. The lash must be short enough not to extend down past the shoulder when held according to AMHR rules. I prefer a short lash - easier to control and doesn't get tangled up.

For 4H and ADS, the lash of your whip MUST reach your horses's shoulder, and you are REQUIRED to carry a whip. In AMHR,

"Driving whips, IF USED, must be of suitable style, and the tip of the lash must NOT reach past the shoulder of the horse." (I used bold letters, not the rule book)

Lots of people in AMHR use dressage whips that are IMO way too short, but not "illegal". BTW, I have no idea what the definition of "suitable style" is. :lol:

Dressage whips are balanced for the tip to be pointed down and I find that if you use them for driving and you drive for any distance your hand gets tired trying to keep it up. Driving whips are balanced for the tip to be up and are much more comfortable to use.
Oh, ok. I didn't know there was a diference, as I have only ever used my dressage whip. It works fine, but then I have never had the chance to try a driving whip, I guess I don't know what I'm missing!
default_wink.png
: But that is a useful thing to know. Thanks
default_yes.gif
:

My whip looks like a dressage whip. I thought I got it from Ozark, but I may not have. I just remember buying it at AMHA Nationals one year when I first got started.

Yes, the Driving Essentials website looks like a great place to shop! Too bad I don't have more money, LOL. I have to stick to the whips.

I second the vote on the Ultralite... very comfortable, very light, and balanced. I LOVE mine.

As the traditionalist I am, I would have been shot out of the buggy if I didn't have a proper driving whip with a "drop" lash.

Me..I prefer Holly whips..beautiful, light and expensive but worth it. I use the ordinary black whip witha white end and white lash...got it at Greenhawk LOl for $14.00

Kim

Back