Driving Whips?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
THANK YOU, JINGO ACE, for posting the McKees' website-I thought I had it saved, but it must have been the 'old' one, from when Barbara Burr was making them!

Job 1--get a proper whip; Job 2--learn how to use it properly!! It makes my teeth hurt when I see miniature horse drivers going along with their whip in their fist like an ice cream cone, sticking straight up....AAARRRRGGGGHHHH! The whip is a valuable tool, which basically takes the place of the ridden leg in cueing the horse--it is NOT meant to just be a 'decorative item'!! Proper whip usage is something of an art, but it most certainly can be learned.

BTW, even a 48' whip, especially if it has no lash(just a 'popper'), is likely too short for most miniatures. It actually can be difficult to find a 'proper' whip(that is, with a lash, not just a popper)suitable to miniatures,especially singles. McKees should be able to make one; otherwise, you will likely have to shop at the higher end places.(You might find something suitable, and pretty reasonable, at Smuckers, too.)

I measured my whip today, and it is 35" from the bottom of the handle to the end of the shaft. It has a very short, stiff "lash"--definitely a dressage whip.

I'll check out the Ultralite whips too. I plan on driving tomorrow, so I can do the measurements they want.

I wondered where you were, Margo! :saludando: By the way, I hold my whip at a 45 degree angle--is that correct?

"I wondered where you were, Margo! :saludando: By the way, I hold my whip at a 45 degree angle--is that correct?"

The tradition is 1 o'clock.

Okay, color me stoopid but I must ask: what is the role of the lash verses the popper? My guess is the shaft provides "hard" contact, the lash "soft contact" and the popper does what???
default_wink.png
:

The popper can be used to make a snapping or popping noise to encourage forward movement.

That is funny about the 48" whip being too short - I was using my 44" whip at an AMHR ruled show (not sanctioned) and was told by the steward that if I went in the ring with it I would be eliminated as it was too long!

I measure from my hands to the saddle and use that length. It varies with the cart I am using at the time and where the horse is placed in it. My little A cart I actually use a 42" whip at times. The lash extends beyond this of course so it gives extra reach. I see alot of people using whips that are quite short with a very long lash meant for 4 in hand with a single horse and I don't agree with that. The lash is too long and can easily get tangled up.

I went to SMucker's in PA about a couple of yrs. ago and got mine. When I started out I used a dressage whip just for puttering around the property and I could definitely tell the difference in using the driving whip.
default_yes.gif
:

Milo--You mentioned the traditional "1 o'clock" holding method. I am right handed and hold the whip in my right hand, what would the technique be to holding it in at the 1 o'clock position? That would mean that my wrist would have to break a little (actually tilting my fist fingers upwards) in order to accomplish this? Or maybe I am not understanding. Interesting topic!

I went to SMucker's in PA about a couple of yrs. ago and got mine. When I started out I used a dressage whip just for puttering around the property and I could definitely tell the difference in using the driving whip.
default_yes.gif
:

Milo--You mentioned the traditional "1 o'clock" holding method. I am right handed and hold the whip in my right hand, what would the technique be to holding it in at the 1 o'clock position? That would mean that my wrist would have to break a little (actually tilting my fist fingers upwards) in order to accomplish this? Or maybe I am not understanding. Interesting topic!
12 o'clock would be considered straight up and 1 o'clock would be tipped straight forward towards the horse. I am left handed and carry the whip in my right hand as is traditional only switching it to my left as necessary.

Ohhhh OK I see now! I was thinking "o'clock" as in facing a circle and 1 o'clock would be off of my right shoulder. I, then automatically hold my whip at the 1 o'clock position. Thanks for your quick reply.

All I can say is that every source I have accessed from the wider world of driving indicates that the whip is indeed to be held in the right hand, and at an approximate 45 degree angle, both 'across' the driver's body AND, relative to the line of the horse and cart -hard to describe, but easy to see.( I have never come across any reference to a 'one o'clock' position.)This puts the whip in a more 'logical', if you will, position for use when required, yet it isn't in your, or any passing driver's, way. For a single miniature, the lash should not be all that long-probably 12 to a max. of around 16" would do(just my guess, based on what I have learned)-a whip with a longer lash is made for a multiple hitch, and the 'longer' the hitch, generally, the longer the lash would be, within reason. I am far from as proficient as I would like to be; however, I have done a fair amount of practice with a lash, working on learning to 'roll' it to make (gentle)contact. A tip--it can be much more comfortable to hold nearly any, and especially, one of the more basic(i.e., inexpensive, mass-produced)whips if you hold it with the heel of your hand just on the top of the handle, or 'butt'. When held at a proper angle, such a whip can become tiring to your wrist/forearm(not really a problem if you are holding it so that it sticks straight up, but --this isn't the proper way!)--holding it as I have described helps immensely with the balance. To do this, you need to use a slightly longer whip that you otherwise might think. Remember when taking the recommended measurement, that it says to measure from your HAND....not from the far end of the handle or 'butt' of the whip! (and be sure you are not reaching forward when you measure, but in a natural but upright seated postition, with upper arms parallel to your torso, and forearms approximately perpendicular to upper arms, in a naturally comfortable position.(One of the drawbacks, IMO, of miniature carts-especially show carts-is that the driver is seated so low relative to the horse that it is hard to keep the arms in a correct position to hold the reins properly. A dash helps somewhat, to keep the reins up off the horse's rear, without the driver ending up with upper arms up and out from the body, and forearms angled upward-just look at many show photos......)

I think many non, or new-to-it, drivers, may visualize "whipping"in their mind's eye when they even hear the term "whip"-when in truth, seldom if even does one actually have cause to apply the shaft in a strong contact, and then only under drastic circumstances-at least, IMO. To me, the aim should be to have the horse learn to accept the contact-and in training, it may need to learn to connect a verbal cue to a follow-up of a 'tap' on top of the rump or around the area of the harness saddle, as an impetus to further impulsion-and also, to learn to yield to contact (on one side of their torso or the other-again,usually in the general area of the saddle.)

The 'ideal' is to drive one-handed on the reins(Achenbach-style), with the whip then by itself in the right hand, so that any use of it in no way affects the reins. This is a lofty goal, however!
default_smile.png
One can, with practice, though, learn to use the whip held 'on top of' the right rein, in a manner that works, and has minimal effect on the horse's mouth through movement of the reins.

The popper is generally rather 'stiff', while the lash is somewhat less 'rigid', while not being really a 'soft lay'("lay" is a term we used to use with lariat and other types of rope). If the lash is too 'soft'(or, as MiLo said, too long for the hitch it is being used with), it may well be prone to tangle. I believe the "popping noise" only actually 'happens', at least to a noticable degree, when using a whip with a longer lash; you likely won't notice much of a sound with a short lash or popper-only, entry-level whip-but, it is the traditional way to 'finish' the whip. I have seen whips with no real lash, just a popper, described as "buggy whips", FWIW.

I too purchased one of the driving whips from Estate Supply. It has a lovely feel. He referred to the maker, but the name escapes me. I believe mine is a 48" shaft. I drive a B, and knew my 42" dressage whip was both too short, an stiff, not the right "feel" at all. I'm pretty sure it was in the $20's, well worth the $

Latest posts

Back