Driving Training

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

New mini

Reaction score
I probably should not ask this question but I really want to know the answer. I have started taking driving lessons so I really do not know much at this point. I have been looking for a driving horse and can only find show horses or horses that I do not care for in looks. I would like to drive something that I am pround to own and be seen with. I am not going to be going to any high level shows at this point. I have seen many minis that are adverised as good for driving. I was wondering how hard is it to train your own mini? I know it will take time and effort and I am willing to do that. Please help me understand before I make some major mistakes.

Thank you,

Nancy

The fact that you acknowledge that you do not know a whole lot about driving is a step in the right direction, Nancy!
default_aktion033.gif
It's those that think they know everything who are impossible in my book.

If you don't know how to ride, would you break your own Quarter Horse?

Training minis to drive isn't difficult if you have the foundation in riding and/or driving, but I know that I have made some pretty big mistakes teaching my horses to drive even after being involved with horses for almost ten years before I started driving. There is a lot that can go wrong very fast and if you don't have the experience to know what to expect, you can get yourself hurt or ruin your potential driving horse so that he will never drive. Been there, done that.

The problem with a lot of minis is that they are what is called "stoic", meaning that they "put up with" a lot, to the point that people mistake "tolerating" for "training". Again, been there, done that. Almost had a wreck with a mini because of it. If you can't tell the difference, you will end up with a horse that "pretends" to be trained, and you won't know until he blows up. There are A LOT of "trained" minis who fall under this category. Scary.

Also, because they are small, people have this false sense of security that they are "safer" than big horses. I just talked with a lady the other day that said, "Oh, come on, they aren't as hard as that big horse over there...." But I also have stories on my website of wrecks that people have had with driving horses, including minis.

I used to think that the owners were the best persons to train their horses because that is what I did and it worked, but I have also realized that the best trainers can "read" their horses, and that is something that is VERY difficult to train someone else to do.

At the very least, you can get lessons on how to work with your own horse to train it to drive. At least then you have an experienced person there to help you.

Myrna

thank you for the answer. I have ridden in the past so I know some things about handling horses. WouldI break a horse? No I do not have that experence and I guess that I should not try to teach a mini to drive. I ,like everyone else, have a limited amount of cash and want to find something that I like to drive but am only finding sites that say"to a show home only" or have a large price tag in front of them. I do not know where to look anymore to get what I like and would be proud of. If anyone can help there I would appreciate it. I know that someone told me she has a friend in Ky but that is as far as it went. I am beginning to look but not make a commiment yet.

Nancy

Latest posts

Back