Driving ring size

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Enchantress

Reaction score
the smallest you'd want to make a ring to drive in? And what is the "ideal/normal" size? Thanks!

Is this for your personal use or show? Our indoor is 60' x 80'. It is adequate, but we can't get a really good strong trot going in it for very long without having to slow down for the corner. If there were more than 3 turnouts in it, it would be too small. (Once the snow comes off, I can't wait to drive in our bigger arena outside!)

The arenas at the carriage shows around here are 100' x 300'. That is plenty big for the VSEs. The smallest size of a VSE Driven Dressage arena is 20 x 40 meters, or roughly 66' x 132'.

Myrna

Mine is 60' x 200'. This was the size on the one at our State Fair grounds arena that we used to show in a lot.

My indoor arena is 60' x 132' and it can fit 6 to 7 horse/carts comfortably. Have had as many as 9 during a show and that gets a bit to crowded and makes it impossible to show your horse to their potential.

I'd suggest making it as big as you can find proper space for! If it's indoor, then you may have to accept a smaller space, but if outdoor, it really is hard to go 'too big'....

My arena is 125' X 250', and I am SOOOO glad to have it that size! If you want to work on dressage, a good size often more and more often being used for VSEs is 30 X 60 meters...which works out to roughly 100' X 200', if I remember my conversion charts correctly!
default_smile.png
It is very helpful to have it long enough that your horse can extend its gait for a reasonable number of strides , and of a width at least adequate to do a 20 meter circle, if at all possible.

Margo

I just wanted to say thanks for all the input! It will be for a personal ring. Last fall we bought a house and had contemplated using the "not so nice" land (ie the land that got butchered to install cable) as my new ring, but I wasn't sure if it would be big enough to safely handle a driving horse. Another question....the way the land curves I can do either an approximately 75 x 125 ring or 60 x 140. Which would you do?

I don't know if this is possible, but I would fence the whole thing and work around the curves. Otherwise, that is a tough question! I like having long rails, but I also like the ability to have space to do decent circles, etc. 60' is definitely minimum.

Myrna

Back