Driving Reins with buckle not clip

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wingnut

Reaction score
Does anyone know where I might find driving reins (for training) that have a buckle on the end where you connect them to the bit instead of a clip/snap?

I got mine from Ozark. They are show quality. I love them. They are thinner than my old reins and so much nicer to hold.

I wonder if nylon driving reins would work for training? I've never used them, so cannot say from experience.

Good for you, purging the snaps and trying buckles.

Thanks Marsha. I'm trying to find ones for ground driving/training.

I've been watching Clay Maier "Introduction to Long Reins" DVD and his driving DVD. I like what he is using in the videos. And, I just thought to look him up and sure enough he sells them on his website. He even has shorter mini reins!!

trying to find long lines like that will be extremely hard since they are like lunge lines and ive only seen them come in clips. I would search the internet or even try to find someone who makes the custom braided items for horses and have them make you ones with buckles. I saw someone at a show just recently with a braided lunge line so it can be done.

We use only lines that buckle to the bit. Many (most) use clips because it is quick (lazy) to use and cheap to make. We were shown at a clinic years ago the effect on your horse when the metal clip strikes on the metal bit in his mouth. Why do you want to do something that you know is going to make your horse uncomfortable? That being said, finding a longe line with buckle ends is going to be difficult. I suggest you simply use a short loop of leather strap that you can buckle to your bridle and clip the snap to it. A leather curb strap or sturrup hobble strap cut down to length works just fine and costs very little. Use a couple of keepers or a couple of wraps of electricians tape to keep it all compact and neat and you're in business.

Latest posts

Back