Driving questions

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

js1arab

Reaction score
Hello, I'm finally around again. Dial up was just a total hassle. Now that I finally have a wireless option I may visit more often :) Anyway, I had a few questions about driving. I am finding I really enjoy the driving but with my muscle issues, I would prefer to use an easy entry cart. I really only show fair level or just a step above that, would the easy entry be acceptable for that? I have seen people do so, but wondered if it would affect the placings. Also, I know I have heard talk of having closed wheels, Is that on all carts or just roadster types? Haven't felt the best the last couple of years so i pretty much quit showing, but my youngest son is wanting to do more so i was thinking of teaching him to drive. Any help on proper equipment and rules would be great. Also clothing types would help. Can I get by with a nice blouse and slacks or do I have to wear *yuck* a skirt
default_smileypuke.gif
Thanks in advance!

Yes at most fairs an easy entry cart will do just fine! Closed wheels are only required on roadster carts in the sanctioned shows - you would have to check with the fair you are showing at for their class rules. A nice blouse and slacks with appropriate footwear are certainly suitable for showing in a fair. If you should happen to get an older judge you may find they expect a lady to wear a skirt but most judges nowadays don't blink over slacks.

EE carts are fine for fairs and local shows. We have a PMC girl that shows in a modified Jerald cart as our shows. The seat has a back and such to help her. Not sure what the rules are in having a cart like that (a doc's note or not). But I think its neat she has a cart like that so she can show.

I show in black jeans and a nice blazer. Never had problems with judges not accepting that. So I don't think a skirt is necessary. I do show in a dress in our evening stakes classes. But that is more my choice rather than required.

Whew, glad I don't have to do the skirt thing.
default_wink.png
It's also great that the easy entry will work. I just don't have energy or money to do the upper level showing right now and the easy entry would be so much easier for everyday use. I can't hardly get in and out of the step over carts and since I do my own training at the moment, it makes it nice for working young stock. If one ever did freak out, I can't physically jump out of a cart (hard enough when it's standing still, let alone moving). I had a freak deal several years ago during the birth of my first son where I ended up numb and unable to move from the neck down for a full day. It has let me pretty leery of having anything happen that might result in permanent paralysis. So needless to say, living on a 4 lane highway and working with young stock, I decided a long time ago that if a horse wants to freak out and get someone hurt, it can do it on it's own, but I'm outta there
default_wink.png
I always tell my son the same thing...do what you can to control the situation, but life's too short to die for a horse!

Latest posts

Back