Driving Question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After placing first and looking back at the pictures, I'd have to say that the judges placed a lot of emphasis on carrying the head "naturally". The pictures of my guy show him with the not quite "level" headset and just a bit "nosed out" but I can tell you that he felt as if he was "on the bit" when we were driving. The reins were never loose or flopy. However, the other classes when he went in fast and I was really pulling on him to slow down we placed low or no placing at all.

Sandee, due to conformation issues, some horses will be SLIGHTLY nosed out even when on the bit. That said, if you really had to pull on him to slow him down, as you stated, then I'd agree that he probably wouldn't place well, as he would have been exhibiting signs of resistance that an observant judge would have noticed, regardless of where his nose was.

Congratulations, by the way!!

Hehe, my mistake!
default_blush.png
Still, the donkeys do have separate shows with separate criteria for their driving classes so I'd check into those registries and their rules. I've been to a mini donkey and mule show before and it's so cool! You can also compete at open driving shows and ADS events (a fantastic mini donkey got first out of twenty-one Training Level entries at the Happ's Driving Trials Twice this last weekend) and I can tell you those won't be split by action either but rather by size or by turnout style.

Donkeys just aren't bred for action really, you know?
default_wacko.png
Horses are for flash, donkeys are for endurance and strength and forebearance (sp?) and all those other wonderful traits I'm sure you'd know better than I.
default_wub.png
Watching a donkey drive is really neat.

Leia

We have no ADMS recognized shows around me. And It's Really crappy shows, I'm Trying to bring the horse world into the Donkeys shows. It frustrates me to no end, how donkey people just don't care a bout there turnout, and how they and there donkeys are in the ring. Having spent 5 years, with a show stable (for horses) it really buggs me that people don't take it to the next level. Now, as far as the driving goes, I don't want "a driving donkey" i want "the driving donkey" i wan't Leia to stand out in the ring. That's why i was asking about the different types of driving. Her trot is like, the trot that the (black and white) horse i posted first. She has that kind of action! sooo... i wanted to find out the name of that 'kind' of driving. Where Aura is more like the other horses, like the pic that mondak posted.

Latest posts

Back