Driving Me Buggy 2019 Hours!!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
15 minutes driving Midnight. She was a little unfocused so we quit on a good note. She didn't do quite as well as last time, but it's all new to her. The way she is taking to the cart, I am thinking she must have driving horses in her bloodline. No way to know, though.

We had some private lessons with my favorite natural horsemanship instructors this last weekend and and a blast while learning tons! They don't drive but they helped me more with Zorro and some of our issues than any of the other drivers and the one weekend driving lesson I took! If you have some issues and have access to a natural horsemanship instructor I highly recommend going to them. We played with obstacles and they helped us with some of our bit issues. It was awesome!

On Saturday morning we did ground work in the morning, then we ground drove for 150 minutes in the afternoon. On Sunday we ground drove in the morning for 150 minutes and then drove in the cart for 180 minutes.

Fun times!!IMG_1737.JPG
IMG_1743.JPG
IMG_1746.JPG
IMG_1769.JPG

IMG_1767.jpg
IMG_1783.JPG

IMG_1804.JPG

Love the picture of Zorro on the tires :)
My driving instructor does a lot of NH and we incorporate some of it into our lessons, mostly with Peanut. It has helped with his mouthiness and space issues A LOT. I am a fan of Warwick Schiller and like his videos. Some of the others and their style I don't like so much.

My Easy Boots arrived. I have a question over on the boot thread if any of you could have a look it would be awesome. Thanks guys!

We are half way through the driving year. I dunno whether to be happy or sad about that!

I drove Zorro for about 20 minutes yesterday. I had a little neighbor girl come over and want to love on the ponies. She enjoyed spending some time with them loose in the pen. She petted on them, hugged them all up and liked having them follow her all over. Sky gave her lots of kisses and only squished her a little bit :D

Then we spent some time brushing the ponies, she took Sky for a walk to find some green grass and then we hitched up Zorro and went for a nice little drive. Zorro was a rock star! Both ponies were perfect. I love it when I can share them in this way. The little girl was so amazed by Zorro in cart. She exclaimed "WOW!! Did you TRAIN him to do this!?" LOL! From the mouths of babes :)

Dapper Dan went 2.39 miles in 37.17 minutes. I guess that would round to 37. No sense in getting too technical!
Midnight ponied behind Dapper Dan and then we drove .57 miles in the sulky for 12.32 minutes. She did brilliantly! I believe the chiropractor helped her a lot. Her turns were smoother and she seemed much happier and comfortable.

Marsha, sounds like Midnight is hitting her stride!
She didn't do very well today. Tongue over the bit and resistant. My sister is coming out tomorrow. She will drive Dapper Dan and we will try going out for a straight drive. I've been working her in the confines of the property and she has to do quite a lot of turning--which I know is good for her, but until her new bit comes I think we will just try going out for a road trip. I ordered a butterfly arch to try on her. Iowa assured me their bits are proportioned correctly for miniatures. I wish I had someone experienced to take a look at her mouth conformation.

Peggy, where do you go when you drive? Do you have trails?
Glad that you are getting out and about with the boys!

Unfortunately, we do not have trails where I board. We drive about a 1/4 mile on a busy road to the entrance of a small subdivision. The people there are very good to let us drive on the grassy shoulders or on the road. It’s about 1 1/2 miles in the subdivision so about 2 miles total. We do have cart accessible trails within a half hour trailer ride, but we don’t get out to do those as often as I would like.

Went to a show Sunday. Peanut worked pretty darn hard and tried his best :). I did not time my rides but I was in the cart driving well over and hour, so I will call it 60 minutes.

20 minutes of ground driving Cappy yesterday
30 minutes of driving (hitched) today.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back