Driving Instruction

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ricgail

Reaction score
Hi,

I have been reading the information in here. I was hoping that someone can suggest a book or video that I could purchase to learn to drive. I don't have anyone around where I live that can teach me... I live near Wilmington, NC.. So there isn't a club around... I have two mini's that I adore. My 10 yr. old mare, "Jasmine" that I purchase a couple of months ago has been pulling a wagon of children while on a lead rope by previous owner. She has never had a bit in her mouth... Sooooo, with that said, I have introduced her to a bit, which she accepts... I am presently ground training her.. She is learning some commands, forward, stop... But she is having difficulty with understanding a bit with left or right turns.... Jasmine was halter led for ten years... I could really use a book as I don't know how to correct her..

I don't wish to improperly train her as I have no formal kowledge of driving... Hense my request for suggestions on a video or book.... Lord, I love my mini's!

Jasmine and Cart.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Very pretty mare and driving prospect! Very exciting to enter the world of driving!

You might check the AMHA to find out if there is a trainer in your area; they also have the connection to the American Driving Society. The ADS is a good resource for driving instruction suggestions--books, articles and videos.

http://www.amha.org/index.asp?KeyName=316

http://www.americandrivingsociety.org/index.asp

Meantime, you might want to consider that it is very unsafe to lead a horse that is hitched. Your girl may be a perfect lady, but the practice is inherently very dangerous. If she should decide to bolt, there is no way you can control her with the leadrope. Your unsuspecting passengers are at risk. No passenger should be in a hitched vehicle without the driver.

Good luck with your training. Keep us posted on your progress!

I, too, am new to minis. I just purchased Pepper, a finished driving horse, a few weeks ago. I had driven my fox trotter several years ago. I realize that I have a lot to learn. I also didn't realize that it is unsafe to lead a hitched horse. Have fun with Jasmine.

A book by Pat Elder available through Smallhorse Press is a wonderful easy to understand way for beginners to train their own mini to drive. Its called "Train Your Miniature Horse To Drive". Hope that helps :)

Latest posts

Back