Driving harnesses

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a MaraFUN SuperFUN harness for Zorro. This harness has a SuperFlex collar. Zorro drives in an open bridle as well!
marafunsuperfunmedium.jpg

Then I have a black MaraFUN with the Deluxe breast collar.
blackmarafun3small.jpg
The top two harnesses will be for sale in a day or so :) I just got Zorro some new harness parts and am calling the new harness a "Trail Harness." It has a Comfy Fit treeless saddle, a SuperFlex collar, the MaraFUN back strap and hip straps, a Comfy Curve girth and a padded breeching. I also use an English bridle because I like it's simplicity and the way the nose band is a separate cavesson ... and no rings for the side check! I'll post pictures of that one soon!

Next, I also have a Comfy Fit harness with Russet leather lining. I LOVE this harness as well! I think I'm a harness addict. LOL!
comfyfitharnesssmall.jpg
The photo below shows Zorro in parts of the Trail harness!
zorrowithshoulderreliefgirth.jpg

IMG_3987.jpg
Here's the fjord team Phineas and Ferb both in their ComfyFit harnesses.

20160726_094508.jpg
Clementine in her first harness. The pleasure harness from Ozark. She now has a comfy fit harness and we use this pleasure harness for teaching the young ones.

IMG_3375.jpg
And here is Candace in her ComfyFit. She has the Euro Collar on hers and Clementine has the Deluxe Breast Collar AND the Euro Collar so I can hitch them as a team.

I'm addicted to the ComfyFit and lust after the MaraFun harnesses.... maybe I'll have to order one to match my new cart from PPP when it gets here....

View attachment 40413
Here's the fjord team Phineas and Ferb both in their ComfyFit harnesses.

View attachment 40414
Clementine in her first harness. The pleasure harness from Ozark. She now has a comfy fit harness and we use this pleasure harness for teaching the young ones.

View attachment 40415
And here is Candace in her ComfyFit. She has the Euro Collar on hers and Clementine has the Deluxe Breast Collar AND the Euro Collar so I can hitch them as a team.

I'm addicted to the ComfyFit and lust after the MaraFun harnesses.... maybe I'll have to order one to match my new cart from PPP when it gets here....
Hey there! If you have been watching the goings on, on the PPP FB page - you know all about the new Firefly, and the upcoming Shelby - more state of the art fun stuff from the man!
For reference point on harness - I have a TON of videos on the PPP FB page about how harness actually works - so much fabricated information about that - I am happy to take the time to make all those videos, so people can get answers to problems that arise from the false, made up, sales pitches that get them to buy. I of course, can, and do, make harness as well, and lots of videos of my harness in action too on the FB page - so I won't "sell" you, as all my data and videos do that. Keep hanging in there for your cart - we are always nose down, but still seemingly, always behind where we think we should be!

I really like that photo of him looking back at you. Seems he is saying "you looking at my rear?" Very good looking horse.

Here is a variety of harness that I have personally made. I will start with some information about webbing - nylon and polypropylene are not the same thing. Nylon is treated differently in the manufacturing process, having a chemical added that makes it soft and "slippery" - polypropylene does not. Some pretty harsh, and extremely incorrect data being said about webbing harness - that it "soaks up pee, and poop, sweat, and dirt - get's stiff - rubs and hurts horses". I guess if somebody threw their webbing harness in the horse pen, and let the horses walk all over it, indeed pee and poop on it - then they picked it up, hung it on the fence, let it dry filthy, and stuck it on their horse...perhaps in that situation, it would rub or hurt a horse - but thankfully, nobody does that. Webbing harness such as mine, that is padded with marine grade vinyl will not hurt a horse, and indeed, nobody has ever actually shown a photograph of an injury caused directly, and only, from use of the webbing harness. Poorly fitted, or poorly designed harness - made of any material, now that, hurts horses.
I use neck collar harness 99% of the time - and have for years, promoted the Coblentz collars. They have been properly downsized for the minis for years, are made with high quality leather, are correctly stuffed, and shaped, made as a full neck collar should be - no funky stuff done to them - they have always been the best on the market for minis.
When I do make breast plate harness - I make the breast plate very specifically. Only a slight curve in a breast plate is "required' - and I have seen over and over again, breast plates of several different styles and designs, that do not either fit the horse correctly, or are indeed shaped in a manor that does not allow for proper pulling efficiency for the horse. I have buckle-in traces, but I never, ever, put a ring on them, as that construction drives the neck strap up-tugs forward to the horse's chest. If one then tries to get a bigger one for the horse, the wide end of the breast plate ends up too long, and then though the neck strap sits where it needs to sit, the breast plate end then jams into the girth line of the harness saddle girth, and over-girth. There is no need for a ring on any breast plate - as an "adjustable line of draft" is a myth, only perpetuated by some in the industry.
Last, but not least, we drive with our harness everywhere - road driving, on my lawn doing cones, and indeed, on trails - any harness can be used to drive on trails - what is important regarding trail driving, has to do with the cart or carriage - and harness only comes into play there in terms of fit, function, and optimizing the horse's ability to pull. The images are my red and white, collar and hame carriage harness. The lime green one is a log skidding harness - the next three images are assorted single or pairs breast plate harnesses, and the last photo is my Tonka's draft harness - for skidding logs too, but I can also use it on a cart.

Attachments

• Tonk C.D. head.jpg
    Tonk C.D. head.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 6
  • Tonk C.D. side.jpg
    Tonk C.D. side.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 6
  • tank lime side bird 2.jpg
    tank lime side bird 2.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 6
  • Dawn tandem.jpg
    Dawn tandem.jpg