Driving Critique/Opinions.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BannerBrat

Reaction score
[SIZE=12pt]Hi guys,[/SIZE]

I'd like to get some outside opinions on how my driving gelding Banner is coming along, overall I'm pretty happy with our progress. I figure there might be some things brought up that I might be 'blind' to. Some outside info, Banner's about 37/38" & is around 6years old. (not sure.) I started him when he was about 2, & hitched him as an early 4 year old. Also where he's driving is in a huge field with some up & down rolling type hills. He's driving in 2 different bits, one is the comfort snaffle, by Myler, which he's been driving in for at least a year & a 1/2. The other is the french link butterfly, which we were just trying & I don't think we're going to keep using, though he looks to be working very nicely in the pictures he's driving with it...
default_rolleyes.gif
He may look nice, but to be the one driving him...
default_frusty.gif

So, any comments on things that stand out as incorrect in the sense of being detrimental to him(think dressage, I'm constantly trying to better him & myself.), as well as any tack that seems to need adjustment would be great! I'd love to do combined driving with him, though it's not as common here as it is out west
default_wink.png
but if one ends up local...
default_yes.gif

Thanks guys! It's much appreiciated!

First off here's the Brat with his fancy wrapped legs.
default_laugh.png

371004470.jpg

Working in the comfort snaffle,

371004481.jpg

Mom working him, again in the myler,

371004477.jpg

371004487.jpg

Working in the french link butterfly,

371004484.jpg

371004961.jpg

Silly horse, & person. :)

371004966.jpg

I'm too new at driving to give any advice, but you look like you are having fun! I have some Qs for you- How hard is it to drive in the pasture? Does he take the hills well? Did you do alot of conditioning before hitching or just let him work himself in to shape?

The only thing I saw, and it may be my imagination, He looks more "rounded" and carries his head different in the snaffle bit. Hope someone else chimes in with some good thoughts for you!

Im also very new to driving. There is a CDE in October in Valatie New York that I'm taking my little guy too for the first time. Have you joined Saratoga Driving Association? http://www.saratogadriving.com/ They have some very nice events and are very helpful.

I'm too new at driving to give any advice, but you look like you are having fun! I have some Qs for you- How hard is it to drive in the pasture? Does he take the hills well? Did you do alot of conditioning before hitching or just let him work himself in to shape? The only thing I saw, and it may be my imagination, He looks more "rounded" and carries his head different in the snaffle bit. Hope someone else chimes in with some good thoughts for you!
[SIZE=12pt]Hello Candycar & thank you, driving is a lot of fun.
default_yes.gif
The hardest thing about driving in the field is the amount of space you have, that's also the nicest thing about driving there too.
default_wink.png
I noticed a big difference with Banner when I started driving him there, I had less control. But now he's starting to work nicely. Also if you're trying to do some schooling work, like circles, serpentines, etc, are harder, because its easier to get 'lost' in an area that size. But, it's so nice to just go out for a drive & not worry about much other then how much fun you & your horse are having. :) Also he took to hills fine, as long as your horse to not back down from the breast collar you should do fine with hills. Banner & I have tackled some pretty steep ones. Also with conditioning, I don't like to let him lose condition, ever. I just like having him fit & ready to go, plus we are both work-a-holics.
default_biggrin.png
But usually if I'm getting him back in condition I'll hitch him & you'll know when they are tired. (You do have to know your horse though, because a lazy horse may look tired & they haven't done anything!
default_rolleyes.gif
Same with a high strung horse, with time you'll develop a feel for when they are tired.) & Yes he is more collected in the butterfly, I'm not sure why... but I'm trying to figure it out.
default_laugh.png
[/SIZE]

Im also very new to driving. There is a CDE in October in Valatie New York that I'm taking my little guy too for the first time. Have you joined Saratoga Driving Association? http://www.saratogadriving.com/ They have some very nice events and are very helpful.
[SIZE=12pt]Hi Heather, [/SIZE]

I'll have to look into the Saratoga Driving Association, thank you!

Please post on how you guys do in Valatie!
default_yes.gif

I don't feel qualified to comment on your driving except to say it looks like you are having fun! The Pleasure Driving Show I just posted photos of on this same forum was sponsored by the Saratoga Driving Association. People were VERY friendly and helpful - I highly recommend them. Maybe next year you can try the Pleasure Show!

Good morning, Ash! First of all, this is a great critique post as far as you providing all the background information, a variety of pictures, and already knowing that there are things it's hard to see without outside input. Kudos to you!
default_aktion033.gif
I love working with you over the internet but we're getting far enough into your training that I'm itching to fly out there and get a few days in person to really make some progress. There are just some things it's really hard to learn over the internet and I think you're beginning to hit some of those road blocks.
default_wink.png
I had the same experience a few years ago with Kody- I was able to teach him to do cones and basic dressage tests with a little advice, work on my figures, get him used to crossing water and tarps and plyboards and deal with all things traffic and trail, go different speeds, etc., but then I stalled out and couldn't go any further. I asked clinician after clinician what I was doing wrong with my hands and they all said either "nothing" or implied it would come with time but I KNEW that I was doing something wrong. I could feel it in Kody's mouth and see it in the way he counterbent and we'd get into a vicious cycle trying to straighten him out. Instead of staying quiet, my hands were getting louder and louder and my horse responded in kind. And yet everyone said we were fine!
default_no.gif
I finally found a trainer who took one look and straightened us out in less than an hour, and our training took leaps after that. There is no substitute for finding someone who can show you where the roadblock is and how to get past it. Wish I could afford to head to NY before the snow flies!! It would be so fun to drive with you. Are you sure you can't make the National Drive in KY this year??
default_laugh.png

Anyhow, we're stuck with the internet so here is what I see. First of all, Banner is a very forward and energetic horse. He's got a strong personality and loves to drive, and he naturally uses his hind end to step up under himself. Unfortunately that "through-ness" stops at his withers and as such he's being robbed of the power he's built to naturally have. He moves without tension and with energy, but he isn't recycling that power through his whole body for reuse and so a lot of it is lost. Note his annoyed expression in the last photo with your mom and the general "I can't HEEEEAAAR you" of the other photos- he's not working with you two. His body is nice and loose and he likes driving but mentally he's resisting being "pushed around" and it shows in every photo. Some of this is a mental maturity issue, but it's our job to show him that it's easier and more joyful to work WITH your driver as a partner. There's something in your contact that has not (to this point) encouraged him to soften and work through his topline the way we want him to. This is where I wish I was there to do some exercises with you and see what's really going on, but the best I can do over the internet is to reiterate the importance of encouraging him to reach down and doing frequent soft transitions to try and "hook up" his engine to your hands.

I know this is going to sound a little funny, but you might consider putting blinkers on him for awhile. I'm a big fan of driving open and it's not like he appears to be ignoring you in favor of his surroundings or anything, but I just get a gut feeling looking at the pictures that he might soften and become more submissive with a set of blinkers. It forces him to see you only as the pair of hands guiding him and encourages him to look to those hands for instruction more than he currently does. Right now he's exhibiting a bit of the contentiousness that a lively, strong-willed horse will show with his favorite person. It's almost like they're so comfortable with us they can afford to be a bit callous as they know exactly where the limits are and that we love them anyway. We want him to focus on his driving, not on the people doing the driving, if that makes any sense.
default_wacko.png
I know I'm not doing a good job of explaining my reasoning here but I'm trying to find words for something that's purely an intuition. I could be wrong too, we never get the whole picture looking at just a few photos.
default_rolleyes.gif

Another thing you might consider is using a mullen mouth Liverpool or Butterfly bit with the curb chain attached medium-loosely and see how he responds to that. He may be one of those horses who likes a bit he can get some solid support from and the additional poll and chin pressure from the curb might help him learn to round up without leaning on the bit or running through it.

As for the rest of the equipment, there are a couple of issues that have cropped up since the last time you posted.
default_smile.png
Most of it comes from how high the shafts sit on his sides which is fairly typical with an easy entry like that. I'm a bit surprised to see he's having that problem given his size, but I suppose you're using 24" wheels with him? That would cause the same problem a smaller mini has with a Frontier with 20" wheels. If there's any way you could lower that singletree down further on the basket it would solve just about every issue and give him a much better angle of draft. If you can't do that, then we need to tweak the harness a bit.

What I don't like is the way the traces are running so high on his sides. I know they're forming a straight line to the singletree, but the singetree is too high as well and the end result is a horse who may be holding his head and neck up because the pressure is centered so high on his chest that he isn't comfortable putting his head down. Only you can tell where the pressure is on that breastcollar (bottom edge? Top edge? Center?) but I don't like the way the back of the breastcollar is sort of popping up with the neck straps flapping. The good news is that he obviously doesn't have any pressure on the top of his neck, but that's not the way a Freedom Collar is meant to fit. Try loosening the false martingale- in my experience with quite a few of these collars the backs will pop up if the martingale is too tight. Its purpose is to keep the W shape from deforming and flattening out under pressure but it doesn't have to be that tight to do it...just enough to keep the bottom point from popping way up off the chest when in draft. Simply being anchored is enough to do that most of the time.

Once the collar is laying flat against his shoulders and chest while in draft, see about getting those traces down a bit. I know from experience that if you run them through the breeching holdbacks it will pull the breeching way up, but maybe you can put a trace carrier loop on the shafts or something? I know normally a straight line from breastcollar to singletree is the rule but in this case I think it's the lesser of two evils to interrupt that line so the angle of draft is lower. The other way to do that is to put smaller wheels on the cart so the singletree itself sits lower and the shafts go slightly uphill instead of completely level. That will help with both the breeching and the traces and might improve things for Banner as far as pulling.

So overall I'd like to see the breastcollar and the breeching sitting on a similar line, meaning the breastcollar a little lower and the breeching a little higher, and he could do with a shorter browband so the crownpiece can't slip quite so far back behind his ears. Let's get your mom's helmet sitting further forward while we're at it!
default_biggrin.png
She's such a nice lady, I'd hate to see her get a broken nose because her face hit the ground before the brim of her helmet did.
default_shutup.gif

Lemme know how much of this seems useful and how much was only the photos and we can go from there. You know how much I enjoy watching you and your driving horses have fun and learn!

Leia

[SIZE=12pt]Hi Leia! Thank you very much for taking time to reply, I really appreciate it. :)[/SIZE]

I just read it and then went to get some other work done while I thought it over, I wanted to make sure I'm completely open minded when I'm replying. Easier said than done, but I'm trying.

I replied throughout your post, so I (hopefully) didn't miss anything!

Good morning, Ash! First of all, this is a great critique post as far as you providing all the background information, a variety of pictures, and already knowing that there are things it's hard to see without outside input. Kudos to you!
default_aktion033.gif
I love working with you over the internet but we're getting far enough into your training that I'm itching to fly out there and get a few days in person to really make some progress. There are just some things it's really hard to learn over the internet and I think you're beginning to hit some of those road blocks.
default_wink.png
I had the same experience a few years ago with Kody- I was able to teach him to do cones and basic dressage tests with a little advice, work on my figures, get him used to crossing water and tarps and plyboards and deal with all things traffic and trail, go different speeds, etc., but then I stalled out and couldn't go any further. I asked clinician after clinician what I was doing wrong with my hands and they all said either "nothing" or implied it would come with time but I KNEW that I was doing something wrong. I could feel it in Kody's mouth and see it in the way he counterbent and we'd get into a vicious cycle trying to straighten him out. Instead of staying quiet, my hands were getting louder and louder and my horse responded in kind. And yet everyone said we were fine!
default_no.gif
I finally found a trainer who took one look and straightened us out in less than an hour, and our training took leaps after that. There is no substitute for finding someone who can show you where the roadblock is and how to get past it. Wish I could afford to head to NY before the snow flies!! It would be so fun to drive with you. Are you sure you can't make the National Drive in KY this year??
default_laugh.png
[SIZE=12pt]I'm extremely lucky in finding a trainer where I ride, who has really helped me & him progress a lot. :) She's into Portuguese style dressage, which I'm also very interested in, & am applying to driving the best I can. But what you are describing with Kody sounds very familiar.
default_wink.png
& I'd love to have you out here some time, as far as the National Drive I sure wish I could make it, but really no way to make that happen yet.
default_wink.png
[/SIZE]

Anyhow, we're stuck with the internet so here is what I see. First of all, Banner is a very forward and energetic horse. He's got a strong personality and loves to drive, and he naturally uses his hind end to step up under himself. Unfortunately that "through-ness" stops at his withers and as such he's being robbed of the power he's built to naturally have. He moves without tension and with energy, but he isn't recycling that power through his whole body for reuse and so a lot of it is lost. Note his annoyed expression in the last photo with your mom and the general "I can't HEEEEAAAR you" of the other photos- he's not working with you two. His body is nice and loose and he likes driving but mentally he's resisting being "pushed around" and it shows in every photo. Some of this is a mental maturity issue, but it's our job to show him that it's easier and more joyful to work WITH your driver as a partner. There's something in your contact that has not (to this point) encouraged him to soften and work through his topline the way we want him to. This is where I wish I was there to do some exercises with you and see what's really going on, but the best I can do over the internet is to reiterate the importance of encouraging him to reach down and doing frequent soft transitions to try and "hook up" his engine to your hands.

[SIZE=12pt]Yup, yup, yup. He definitely needs more transitions. He definitely hates to be told what to do, so I've gotten very good at asking him. Sometimes he complies, other times he says nah, try again. & unless we're endangering something/ourselves, I'm fine with that, he's becoming more reliable as we go. Not trying to make excuses, but these aren't the best pictures of him actually working, they ended up coming out very good, considering what we were doing is trying out the new cart. But he is definitely not stretching, he's not warmed up like I normally would have him. Also it was extremely wet & muddy, but I don't think it bothered him much. I should try to get someone with a lot of patience come out to take pictures when I really am working him. I agree a lot with the not recycling of his energy, especially in these pictures. Though that is a major thing we are working on, which sometimes it feels like we have some recycling going on there.
default_biggrin.png
[/SIZE]

I know this is going to sound a little funny, but you might consider putting blinkers on him for awhile. I'm a big fan of driving open and it's not like he appears to be ignoring you in favor of his surroundings or anything, but I just get a gut feeling looking at the pictures that he might soften and become more submissive with a set of blinkers. It forces him to see you only as the pair of hands guiding him and encourages him to look to those hands for instruction more than he currently does. Right now he's exhibiting a bit of the contentiousness that a lively, strong-willed horse will show with his favorite person. It's almost like they're so comfortable with us they can afford to be a bit callous as they know exactly where the limits are and that we love them anyway. We want him to focus on his driving, not on the people doing the driving, if that makes any sense.
default_wacko.png
I know I'm not doing a good job of explaining my reasoning here but I'm trying to find words for something that's purely an intuition. I could be wrong too, we never get the whole picture looking at just a few photos.
default_rolleyes.gif

[SIZE=12pt]I'm kind of iffy on this. I respect your opinion a lot, but from driving him I find he seems to look out for the cart, if that makes any sense. Tonight we were driving, just for fun, and weaving through a ton of trees. & he seems to look for the cart & watch out for it, as if it's now a part of him so he's taking care of it. Buttttt, as I think of it. Maybe he should be leaving that worry up to me...
default_doh.gif
But as much as I prefer the open bridle, I'll give this some thought & possibly switch him to blinders for a while, he has no problem working in them. I am slightly worried as we just *knock on wood* got over bucking in the cart, just from him feeling good. I wouldn't want for whatever reason that to come back with the blinders... just a thought in my mind that it may...
[/SIZE]

Another thing you might consider is using a mullen mouth Liverpool or Butterfly bit with the curb chain attached medium-loosely and see how he responds to that. He may be one of those horses who likes a bit he can get some solid support from and the additional poll and chin pressure from the curb might help him learn to round up without leaning on the bit or running through it.

[SIZE=12pt]Here's another real iffy thing for me. I really prefer not using a curb bit. I just don't think that it's necessary... I do have a lot to learn, but as of now I still don't think it's necessary. I will give this quite a bit of thought and research though & see where I stand on it later.
default_wink.png
With the myler I think he can get some good support off it. another problem with changing bits is he doesn't have much roon in his mouth at all. Boy we just keep adding up the problems, haha.
default_rolleyes.gif
[/SIZE]

As for the rest of the equipment, there are a couple of issues that have cropped up since the last time you posted.
default_smile.png
Most of it comes from how high the shafts sit on his sides which is fairly typical with an easy entry like that. I'm a bit surprised to see he's having that problem given his size, but I suppose you're using 24" wheels with him? That would cause the same problem a smaller mini has with a Frontier with 20" wheels. If there's any way you could lower that singletree down further on the basket it would solve just about every issue and give him a much better angle of draft. If you can't do that, then we need to tweak the harness a bit.

[SIZE=12pt]I'm really stuck here, I don't know how I can fix this. I don't have enough knowledge on the cart & how to alter it. But, I will see what I can do. :)[/SIZE]

What I don't like is the way the traces are running so high on his sides. I know they're forming a straight line to the singletree, but the singetree is too high as well and the end result is a horse who may be holding his head and neck up because the pressure is centered so high on his chest that he isn't comfortable putting his head down. Only you can tell where the pressure is on that breastcollar (bottom edge? Top edge? Center?) but I don't like the way the back of the breastcollar is sort of popping up with the neck straps flapping. The good news is that he obviously doesn't have any pressure on the top of his neck, but that's not the way a Freedom Collar is meant to fit. Try loosening the false martingale- in my experience with quite a few of these collars the backs will pop up if the martingale is too tight. Its purpose is to keep the W shape from deforming and flattening out under pressure but it doesn't have to be that tight to do it...just enough to keep the bottom point from popping way up off the chest when in draft. Simply being anchored is enough to do that most of the time.

[SIZE=12pt]That is how tight the false martigale is, I've been messing around with the freedom collar to see where it should be on him. The angle of his shoulder & where his windpipe is makes it a bit difficult, there isn't much room at all. But I'm still tweaking it. :)[/SIZE]

Also I'm pretty sure the pressure is even, when he's actively stretching he has no resistance when he puts his head down. Also it seems like the straps alternate which is tight & which is loose, sometimes the front one is tight & the back is loose & vice-versa.
default_wacko.png

Once the collar is laying flat against his shoulders and chest while in draft, see about getting those traces down a bit. I know from experience that if you run them through the breeching holdbacks it will pull the breeching way up, but maybe you can put a trace carrier loop on the shafts or something? I know normally a straight line from breastcollar to singletree is the rule but in this case I think it's the lesser of two evils to interrupt that line so the angle of draft is lower. The other way to do that is to put smaller wheels on the cart so the singletree itself sits lower and the shafts go slightly uphill instead of completely level. That will help with both the breeching and the traces and might improve things for Banner as far as pulling.

[SIZE=12pt]Even with smaller wheels, the singletree is going to still be high, it's just the way these carts are made. I do have my old cart, with smaller wheels. But I'm selling it because I got this new one. He certainly pulls very easily in this new cart.
default_unsure.png
[/SIZE]

Here's my other cart...

367429003.jpg

So overall I'd like to see the breastcollar and the breeching sitting on a similar line, meaning the breastcollar a little lower and the breeching a little higher, and he could do with a shorter browband so the crownpiece can't slip quite so far back behind his ears. Let's get your mom's helmet sitting further forward while we're at it!
default_biggrin.png
She's such a nice lady, I'd hate to see her get a broken nose because her face hit the ground before the brim of her helmet did.
default_shutup.gif

[SIZE=12pt]The browband fits with blinders on the bridle, & the crownpiece doesn't move at all. In fact I'd like it to be back off his ears a bit, but it never stays... & Yes my Mom knows she's not wearing the helmet correctly, but of all the things going on that was the least of her worries. Never-the-less thank you. :)[/SIZE]

Lemme know how much of this seems useful and how much was only the photos and we can go from there. You know how much I enjoy watching you and your driving horses have fun and learn!

Leia
[SIZE=12pt]Most all of it helped. :) I really apprieciate the time you take to be so thorough.[/SIZE]

Any comment on the differences in his frame, between the bits? I don't think he's particulary ready for the frame he's in with the butterfly. I've been incorporating a lot more in hand work into our routine, so I'm thinking that will help in many ways.
default_biggrin.png

Thanks Again!
default_saludando.gif

No problem Ashley, I understand!
default_wink.png
Photos NEVER show the whole picture and once you get into the real fine stuff like this it's even harder to tell what's really going on from across the country. I just throw things out there and hope that some of it hits the mark or gives you ideas that help you solve the problem.
default_yes.gif

You're a fine driver and I always like what I see in the photos you post, but I've also been where you are and remember how I thought Kody was coming along so well and making all this progress and then later I realized we really hadn't gone far at all because I'd never felt what the real Right Stuff was like. It was a revelation when the trainer got us doing things correctly and all of a sudden I realized how far off we'd been all that time. It's an amazing experience when you get over that hurdle for the first time and I want you to experience that.
default_wub.png
I love watching you and Banner work and am very excited to see him live up to his potential. You, as a driver, have already come a long long way!
default_aktion033.gif

To be honest I'm jealous as right now I can't drive my own horse and I miss that sense of progress and development.
default_sad.png
Forgive me if I get overbearing in my critiques because of that; please know I don't mean to. I've just got too much time to think and overanalyze and I suspect I'm not saying things the way I mean to. Banner looks great and I love him.

he seems to look for the cart & watch out for it, as if it's now a part of him so he's taking care of it. Buttttt, as I think of it. Maybe he should be leaving that worry up to me...
Hehe. They will get that sense even with blinkers- Kody does the same thing. A funny story for you...Kody know that he's supposed to go through the red and white markers in a hazard. The problem is, he DOESN'T realize that red always has to be on the right and more than once has tried to drag me through an obvious set of markers backwards because he thinks I'm missing the gate! I love driving a smart horse, but sometimes he needs to leave the driving up to me and just take my word for it.
default_rolleyes.gif

I really prefer not using a curb bit. I just don't think that it's necessary
I understand. Another story for you...we tried my Arab Spyderman in all sorts of bits when I first got him. He'd been an English Pleasure (saddleseat) stallion for his whole life and here he got bought by a little 4-Her who wanted him to go huntseat and western and learn to do trail classes and showmanship. He was very confused!
default_wacko.png
We tried a snaffle- he didn't like the nutcracker action. We tried various western bits. He hated them all! After a long time Leia's mother looked dubiously at an old Kimberwick she had and decided "What the heck? We'll try it." She warned her daughter to have soft hands and taught her how to adjust the curb chain so it laid flat and only squeezed when Leia did. Spyder loved it! Eventually the little girl was taught how to use double reins with a Pelham bit and the former saddleseat gelding was happy as he had something he understood. Instead of the rider having to pull on that bit in his mouth to ask him to put his head in, she simply squeezed and the gentle pressure against his chin and poll told him to set his head. When his head reached the vertical, the bit went neutral and he felt no pressure anywhere, just steady contact. Spyder was happy. Leia was happy. Many ribbons were won.

The point of the story? Curb bits are not necessarily harsher. They simply work in a different way and are excellent for encouraging horses to round up. Used properly, which I know you would, they can be a useful tool. I have not used one on Kody because he's very sensitive and already has a tendency to overflex but Kody decided he worked much better in a Myler Mullen Mouth than he did in a jointed bit or straight-bar mullen. Breanna Sheahan's mares both like the support and clarity of curb bits after they completed their basic education in a snaffle. The roughcheek setting on a Liverpool is quite useful as it engages the curb chain without any nasty leverage. Just thoughts, not saying you can't do the same thing in the Myler bit you have!
default_smile.png

Any comment on the differences in his frame, between the bits? I don't think he's particulary ready for the frame he's in with the butterfly. I've been incorporating a lot more in hand work into our routine, so I'm thinking that will help in many ways.
In hand work is excellent! I've really been experimenting with that this year and it's fun watching Kody "get it."

To be honest with you, I don't really see any difference in his frame except that he appears to be holding a little more tension in his head and neck in the photos with the Butterfly. That's pretty normal for the first few drives with a new bit though so I hadn't really thought anything of it. Can you post a closeup of his head with the butterfly bit in? I think I see something about the bit but can't tell from that far away if I'm right.

Leia

Last edited by a moderator:
but I've also been where you are and remember how I thought Kody was coming along so well and making all this progress and then later I realized we really hadn't gone far at all because I'd never felt what the real Right Stuff was like.
[SIZE=12pt]Yesssss! I know that feeling.
default_wink.png
[/SIZE]

And thank you Leia, I've been trying to better myself a lot, and glad to hear you can see it.

No problem in being over critical, I sure wish Kody wasn't hurt & you two could keep progressing, you guys got me into this kind of stuff.
default_wub.png

Haha, that is too funny about Kody! & I love working with Banner, but sometimes it sure is interesting.
default_biggrin.png

I'll keep your story in mind while i research some more about the curb. & I understand that they work in different ways, we'll see what happens, Iowa Valley has affordable bits that we may play around with.
default_wink.png

Yes, in hand work is really rewarding. I'm really enjoying it, & he is too when he realizes that I don't want his teeth on me.
default_wacko.png

Here's the best head shot I've got...

371184727.jpg

Thanks again!
default_yes.gif

Can you try unbolting the singletree and turning it upside down under the splinter bar? It is easy to do with a wooden cart but I don't know about your metal easy entry. If you can do it, it will give you a better line of draft.

I would like to see you take a little more contact and push him up into the bit more with your voice. Once you have him relaxed and listening lots of transitions to get him rocking back on his haunches a bit more and rounding his back which will help him to get his head down and arching his neck, stretching through his topline from tail to nose, would help.

Back