Dried blood in hair (lots of it)

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Candice

Reaction score
This is a little complicated. My colt is still draining minimally from his gelding surgery a week ago. He lost a lot of blood this past Monday when he somehow opened back up. Doc told me to leave the dried blood on his legs alone. The problem is that it is so think and crusty and hard in his inner thighs that when he lays down its rubbing on his clot he's trying go form causing more blood leakage. It drips on his thighs and dries. He's a hairy begger and some of those matted crusted hairs are literally like daggers.

Yesterday I tried some warm water on a towel, however any wiping motion no matter how light seems to make him bleed more.
default_no.gif
The hose is a no no right now so I'm open to suggestions.

Doc did tell me to use rubbing alcohol to gently brush away any shavings that might stick to his wounds, but he was adamant about no peroxide. In all honestly I did try the rubbing alcohol on the dried blood, but it didn't do a thing.

What will dissolve the blood quickly but not interfere with his wounds??

I have to be very very careful right now as Doc is out of town on vacation.

Hydrogen peroxide is the best for removing dried blood (I know your vet said not to), just don't put it in the incision.

Why is a gentle hose a "no-no"?

Can you fill a plastic pitcher or bucket with warm water and rinse his legs?

Personally, it seems like a week is a long time for him to still be draining.......Do you have a backup vet to call and ask about that?

iF YOU CAN GET ONE OF THOSE NOZZLES FOR A GARDEN HOSE THAT HAS A "GENTLE SHOWER" (oops!) setting on it, that may be a good way to go. Start at the hoof and SLOWLY work your way up, accustoming him slowly to the sensation.

Just out of curiosity, why not peroxide? I've never been in this situation, but now you have me wondering!

Peroxide did do a decent job of getting dried blood out of a shirt that I had.

Use hydrogen peroxide, just do not get it too close to the incision... the reason why is because H2O2 (hydrogen peroxide) "frazzles" the cells that are trying to heal and granulate in, prolonging the healing time.

Cheers

Masako

The reason the hose is a no no is because Doc does not want anything to interfere with the clot formation right now and neither do I. He usually stands fairly still, but should he start dancing around it could dislodge the clot that has formed.

I'm going to go out right now and try a damp cloth again. If that doesn't work I will try the peroxide. He was against the peroxide because it can damage the tissues. That is some pretty tender skin at the moment.

Mini V: After his surgery he didn't clot like he should have. It took about 6 hrs. for him to form a good clot. This past Monday that clot somehow came undone. Doc did come out with the intention of suturing and packing but by the time he got here (the next day), he was only dripping and Doc decided to give him Vitamin K injections instead. I don't think he'd be dripping at all right now if not for the dried blood on his thighs. He does lay down frequently to rest.

If you can do it without interfering with the incision, then I would just use a soft sponge and warm water in a bucket. The more the water loosens up the dried blood, it will start to come off.... it will take a while and the warm water wont be so shocking to make him start jumping around.

Yes, that is a long time to heal!!!!

Peroxide actually promotes scar tissue and is not gentle on wounds....

If he is used to being clipped, perhaps just clipping the area between his thighs, would work? I have done this before having them clipped in early spring. Don't clip more than you have to; leave as much as possible so he doesn't get cold...but I think it would really work for him.

I agree with HGFarm. Just warm water and a soft sponge...it probably bothers you more that your little guy. I would wait until you get the OK that everything has healed nicely from the Vet before I messed with anything. It sounded pretty bad..what a nightmare . glad he is doing a lot better. He must be a very nice horse to let you near him after such an ordeal...my boy wouldnt let me near his back end , for a while..

We got the thickest of it off with the warm water yesterday afternoon. He didn't mind at all. His new issue is a sight reaction from one of the Vitamin K shots. Little Dude is not having a good experience. Today he was more receptive to the hot packing on the neck than he was last night. I just will be so glad when all of this is over and he's healed and can run and play and be back with his buddies.

Candice-

Sounds like things are slowly getting better with the little brat. I'm home from the show - give me a call tomorrow. I'll be scurrying around getting ready to head to AL, but need an update.

Barbie

Latest posts

Back