I've come to share my heartache (long post)

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reignmaker Miniatures

Reaction score
because you all will understand so well. On Friday morning I got out of bed to find that my Bullmastiff had been sick during the night. Well, it happens, so I turned Magnum outside and set about cleaning up the mess. My husband went down stairs to feed him his breakfast and to clean up what he might find there but came back right away to say there was blood in what he found. So I followed him down to look thinking the dog had perhaps eaten a stick that was stuck in his mouth and causing bleeding. What I found was a large clot of blood on the floor. We went out to see what was up, passing an untouched breakfast (Magnum never missed a meal, ever) and found him laying in the grass panting heavily. I opened his mouth to look for an obstruction there and felt a dry, cold mouth and could see his entire mouth had gone very very pale. I told hubby to get the truck and we loaded him up, he couldn't or wouldn't stand by then so we rolled him onto a quilt and lifted him into the back seat. Grabbed my little dogs bed that is in the truck and propped his head up to keep it from dropping off the edge of the seat and rushed to the vet. Its a 30 minute drive there, only took maybe 15 but our beloved big boy never made the trip. He was gone by the time we reached the clinic. We had a vet come out to confirm it but we both already knew. The vet believes he had either a perforated ulcer or a cancer that caused a hemorage. I asked about the possibility of a stick or bone shard but she felt since he was fine the previous evening, eating, playing etc., and had not had anything at all during the night , it was unlikely.

They offered to do a necropsy but they are so often inconclusive and we just wanted to bring him home to where he had spent his entire life and lay him to rest. Magnum was born here on this property, lived his entire life here and he died here.

Magnum was my handicapped daughter's best friend, he kept predators out of our yard and he was loved by every one who knew him. He tried so hard to always do what was 'right' had a very highly developed conscience and would suffer guilt if he broke a rule even unintentionally. He loved to pick my strawberries, couldn't resist them even tho he was scolded repeatedly. Naughty boy, he always chose the biggest and reddest berries in the patch. That and his occasional garbage can raids were his only weaknesses. He lived to please us, was never happier than when we laughed at him, running big laps with a happy 'smile' on his face just to keep us laughing. His joy was a kind word or an ear rub, and any time he could spend with our daughter. When we brought her home for a visit he was beside himeself with a happiness that eminated from him, he never left her side except for short bathroom breaks. How I am going to tell her he's gone, I have no idea. We often joked that Magnum's name should have been "My Dog" because so many people said "Thats my dog" when they saw him and wanted to take him home. Even people who claimed to fear dogs seemed to recognize his kindness and had no fear of him and yet when we weren't home, visitors who didn't know him were unsure of his reactions and would hesitate to leave their vehicles. He was our friend, our clown and our gaurdian. A valued member of our family. RIP Magnum April 2006 - May 2012. You have left a huge hole in my life and my heart.

We layed him to rest on a hill where he spent many hours watching and occasionally greeting neighbors who passed on the road, next to the srawberries I would so love to share with him again.

P9120037.JPG

I am bawling my eyes out. I am so very sorry for the loss of your friend and partner. Poor guy.....but sounds like he lived the life, and knew how good he had it. I hope you feel comfort in knowing he will be watching you from his hill, and that you will have him as your guardian angel. RIP Magnum

Your story brought tears to my eyes. It's so hard when we lose a 'family member'. My heart goes out to you, I am so sorry for your loss. He was a beautiful boy.

I am so very sorry for your loss. Magnum sounds and looks like a very special friend indeed...may he rest in peace.

What a wonderful member of your family.....You wrote a beautiful tribute. It helped me get to know him. Feeling very sad for both you and your husband.

Such a terrible loss of a lovely friend. What a touching story about such a great dog. He had such a happy life with you that will give you fond memories to cherish forever. I'm so sorry he has gone way too soon. Rest in Peace Magnum and hugs to your family.

Aw man, I'm so sorry. Know your not alone and we have all felt this horrable pain and hurt with you. Again I'm sorry.

Your loss has brought tears to my eyes. I'm so very sorry that you have lost such a special part of your family. He will be sadly missed and never forgotten.

Such a magnificient breed. Such a beautiful dog. Such a sweet and kind-hearted friend. Rest in peace Magnum.

I'm sorry, many hugs
default_sad.png

I have tears in my eyes from your story. I am so sorry for the loss of such a beautiful boy. ((Hugs))

I am soo soo sorry for your loss. They are never with us long enough..... ((((hugs)))) to all

~kathryn

default_crybaby.gif
:CryBaby
default_crybaby.gif
I'm SO sorry you lost your sweet, wonderful boy. {{{{Hugs}}}}

i am sorry too, we lost our little guy after 14 years, and i know how you feel, its like there is a big hole in your life.

Latest posts

Back